A very good MOBO got crashed - CAN'T BELIEVE IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight

Broken In
Hi,
I am in Bangalore,INDIA.

I have AMD ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard. Along with I have ATI RADEON 9600xt, amd 2600+ BARTON PROCESSOR, 512mb ram, 15 inch monitor, 80gb harddiskk, ATX cabinet, 500v UPS. (WinXP Prof)

I bought this PC 5 months back

last week, suddenly the display went off. I though it could be a problem with either RAM or Display card. But, after the dealer(from whom Ihad bought it) investigated and told me teh problem.

It was the Motherboard got affected. he also sid,. this is caused due to Voltage Fluctuation.

Such a good motherbaord, got affected by voltage fulctuation (even with a UPS) - I cant believe it.

Now, I am thinking of replacing the existing UPS into APC UPS. the UPS i bought it for 2100. Since, it is cheaper than APC. I had bought that.

Initially, while buying a PC, i htough that buying anordinary UPS doesnt differ when compared to UPS's like APC. thts the reason, i biyught it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My question, such a very good motherboard got affected by Voltage Fluctuation. Earlier, I had a ZX440 motherboard. Not even a single problenm, I had. But, with this great mobo, still I couldnt belive,. it

I would like to know the possible reasons and please let me know the precaustions..

THANKS IN ADVANCE

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
UPS makes a diff. And its amazing ur mobo crashed...I think its an isolated incident. I have very similar config to urs except I have the geforce 6800 NU than the raedon pro. Me too is in Bangalore. I think it was just one faulty mobo. Go for the same one and def go for a APC UPS. Do not compromise on ur UPS. Plus u might also wanna check ur SMPS unit. With that config you will need a good 400 watts SMPS.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You have my sympathies - I could feel the pain in your posting. Like icecoolz said, it's rather unusual though not impossible. What I'm wondering is how your dealer could positively identify voltage fluctuation as the culprit. Did you get a replacement under warranty ?

I have 30+ years in electronics and 10+ yrs with computers and I feel that it would be very difficult to diagnose with certainty the cause of failure as due to mains fluctuation.

I've built a couple of computers with the -X version of the A7N8X mobo, and though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Deluxe version, it's still a good board.

OP
K

Knight

Broken In
I have SBS UPS (500v). SMPS - 350 watts

As u people had suggested, I will ask teh dealer to check the SMPS

At present, I have a 350watts SMPS. Does this not enough? (for the econfiguration that I had mentiuoend)

I also plan to replace he existing UPS (SBS UPS) with APC 600V.

I request for your comments/suggestions.

Regards,
Knight

delhibhai1000

Journeyman
Even with a APC 600VA UPS u r stretching the limits of the UPS.
A 600VA UPS usually has a power rating of 350W.
Your SMPS alone is 350W( ur monitor doesnt depend on the SMPS for power supply.instead it depend on the UPS for it!)
U r better off with a 800VA APC UPS which is for 4.5 k i think...
Then there's the slightly cheaper Numeric 800VA for 3.8k,but i wouldnt recommend this over APC in any case..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
On the surface, 350W is quite enough for your configuration. The question is how reliable the rating is. In some cases, the manufacturer sticks a higher rating than the PSU (SMPS) can actually give.

E.g., I've seen cases where the 5V line in an SMPS is rated at 30A, but the rectifier supplying the 5V is a 10A diode. With cooling from the fan, the 10A diode can supply a higher current for a while, but often fails after some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom