A Tale of Three Graphics Cards!! GTX280 8800GT HD4870

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Extremetech reviewed these three cards and wow, HD4870 shows it's muscle.

It's neck and neck with GTX280 that costs twice.

GTX280 has 6.9$/FPS ratio
HD4870 has 4.6$/FPS ratio.
8800GT has 3.7$/FPS but this one is nowhere near to 4870 when it comes to sheer power. 4870 is 2x to 3x times faster.

Way to go ATI. Way to go.

*www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2326545,00.asp

GTX280 is around $489
HD4870 is around $279

Crysis:

GTX 280 at FullHD : 25 FPS
HD4870 at FullHD : 23 FPS

Last edited:

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
nice
now if someone spends on GTX280 just to have 2fps more :lol:

check this
*www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8634&Itemid=1

MSI 's oc'ed 4850

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^OMG. Dirt and LOTR bundled in the pack.

awesome.

anyways, once you patch the card's BIOS to unlock fan's speed (which is factory set to 30% max), the card can be one hell of an overclocker.

What if the card HD4870 is overclocked like this by MSI. It will kill GTX280 without mercy :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
ATI has really hit the nail..in this time. Excellent cards...good bundles...will make mid - level - gamers have a blast..at a sweet price....!!! Great come back by the red team. I have been following the HDxxxx reviews (specially the little brother HD4850)...once better coolers and drivers (for fans) come out..this will be a sweet game spinner.

Am really looking forward to getting this card (maybe xFire it)...!

goobimama

 Macboy
Crysis:

GTX 280 at FullHD : 25 FPS
HD4870 at FullHD : 23 FPS
I guess I need to wait at least another year or two more to get an affordable card (12k?) that can play Crysis at FullHD 30fps. Or is it going to be sooner?

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I guess I need to wait at least another year or two more to get an affordable card (12k?) that can play Crysis at FullHD 30fps. Or is it going to be sooner?
It is going to be sooner Goobi, August will see the launch of HD4870X2 and maybe GTX280X2 too. Anyways by December(Holiday Season) we'll definitely see HD4870X2 heading for a sub 15K price tag cause ATi has terrific pricing policy. ;)

ajaybc

Youngling
Crysis:Warhead is releasing in sepember I think.It uses a much more polished and optimised version of the original engine.And Crytek is saying it would give far better FPS than Crysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom