a strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys, im having a strange problem with my pc.

my pc is usually on for almost 12-13 hours a day.
two days ago, in the night at around 11pm i was surfing some sites in opera and all of a sudden, a popup
window appeared. i closed it but suddenly, my pc shut down.

after that, i tried to turn on my pc but no use.
Even bios screen didn't start. the processor fan rotated 2-3 times and the pc shut down again. i was tired at that time so i slept.

next day, my pc started fine, i worked on it all day. but in the night, at around same time,11pm, it turned shut down again automatically!!!
i tried my best to revive it but no use.
i disconnected my hard drive (i thought, it may be some virus)
and tried to boot from dvd-rom. but no use.
as earlier, even bios didn't start.

now, next day, that is today, it has started just fine. so im posting this.
guys, if u have any idea, plz help.

i haven't checked with my antivirus yet, but im goin to do it now.
hope to see some response from u!!

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Since you have not checked for virus, do it right away and post the result here. But for me it seems to be a problem of overheating or hardware failure. Check your SMPS.

OP
R

rajdeepsingh86

Broken In
ok, i tested my hdd with avast antivirus, and this is the report.
i had shceduled a boot time scan.
i have deleted all these files now.
and i had updated the antivirus just before checking my hdd.

----------------------------------------
01/03/2007 11:09
Scan of all local drives
File C:\Documents and Settings\Raj\My Documents\hp\auvj318a.exe\run.exe is infected by Win32:Zlob-LT [Trj], Deleted
File C:\Documents and Settings\Raj\My Documents\hp\auvj318a.exe is infected by Win32:Zlob-LT [Trj], Deleted
File C:\Documents and Settings\Raj\My Documents\hp\Super.AV.Converter.v5.3.650-DVT.ZIP\installer.exe is infected by Win32:VB-APL [Trj], Deleted
File C:\Documents and Settings\Raj\My Documents\hp\Super.AV.Converter.v5.37.680-DVT.ZIP\installer.exe is infected by Win32:VB-APL [Trj], Deleted
File C:\Documents and Settings\Raj\Templates\WowTumpeh.com is infected by Win32:Brontok-AA [Wrm], Deleted
File C:\drive\private\files\grub\grub.exe is infected by Win32:Brontok-AA [Wrm], Deleted
File C:\drive\private\files\ico & inf\ico & inf.exe is infected by Win32:Brontok-AA [Wrm], Deleted
File C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Translat\LicenseManager.exe is infected by Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}, Deleted
File C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Components\WUpdMan32.exe is infected by Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}, Deleted
File C:\WINDOWS\system32\Raj's Setting.scr is infected by Win32:Brontok-AA [Wrm], Deleted
File E:\fget Downloads\ebooks\linux\learning linux - a collection of 12 ebooks.zip\Learning Linux - A Collection of 12 Ebooks\Linux Unleashed, Third Edition\ch63\images\63-04.jpg Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File E:\my docs\cool\Recreation\Entertain\Cat_Mice.exe is infected by Win32:Cursor [Joke]
File E:\my docs\my documents\hp\auvj318a.exe\run.exe is infected by Win32:Zlob-LT [Trj]
File E:\my docs\my documents\hp\auvj318a.exe is infected by Win32:Zlob-LT [Trj]
File E:\my docs\my documents\hp\Super.AV.Converter.v5.3.650-DVT.ZIP\installer.exe is infected by Win32:VB-APL [Trj]
File E:\my docs\my documents\hp\Super.AV.Converter.v5.37.680-DVT.ZIP\installer.exe is infected by Win32:VB-APL [Trj]

-------------------------------

and also, plz do tell me how to check my SMPS?

and do u think that this could be a virus which has infected my MBR.
i use dual boot with fedora core 3 and i use GRUB boot loader.

i don't think, it could be overheating problem, coz i used it in summers too and it worked fine.

my processor is 1.9 GHZ, p-4
its 3-4 yrs old and has never given me any problems.

my hdd is 6 months old seagate barracuda 80 GB ATA drive

i have rewritten my mbr now, using fixmbr command from xp recovery console.

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^ I clearly mentioned to first do a virus scanning. If your system is not infected, then it is the hardware problem. But now it is evident from scan report that your system is infected with Virus/malware.

Since you say that the problem is existing after scan, i suggest you to post your Hijackthis log file report here.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
damm windows!
just format it or reisntall it or go for linux(no viruses)
also do check cpu & system temp in BIOS just after shutdown see if it over heats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom