A Simple Question ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bongourav

Broken In
Hi friends .... Last day I was wondering that is there any flaw in charging our cell phones whole night ???

I mean, I usually don't get enough time to charge my cell during day. So I prefer to leave my cell at "charge" the whole night.

Is it right to do so? Or does it affect the cell in some way or the other? I asked about it to my friends and I got a mixed kind of an answer. However, none could give a strong reason ....

Your help will be greatly acknowledged ...

Thanks in advance !

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
you dont effect ur cell but u definitely decrease the life of ur battery. any rechargeable battery if overcharged, its life is shortened.

OP
bongourav

bongourav

Broken In
Well, I own a N 72 and it takes at least 4 hours to get it charged full ... Anyways, does overcharging have a considerable affect on the battery life ???

gmanog

Journeyman
I suppose, it wont be over charged even if you leave the mobile for whole nite on the charger, the phone will cut the connection automatically once its fully charged. So charging for more time than recommended may not harm your battery.

OP
bongourav

bongourav

Broken In
gmanog said:
I suppose, it wont be over charged even if you leave the mobile for whole nite on the charger, the phone will cut the connection automatically once its fully charged. So charging for more time than recommended may not harm your battery.

This is exactly what I want to confirm ? Does the connection stops automatically ?

And are you sure that the battery life will not be harmed in practising this regularly ?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
pathiks said:
theoritically yes, practically not much
Exactly. Tell me this, who has ever taken two exactly same phones and always overcharged one of them and properly charged the other one and then judged which one's battery lasted longer? Has anyone done this excercise? No.
So how can you anyone say it has a considerable effect on the battery life?

Scientists who have nothing better to do even say that Wi-Fi and cell phones are very harmful for the health. Will you stop using them?

This is one of those little things that you should not worry about. It won't have any impact on your life. The days your battery dies, replace it. They are not very costly anyway. I always overcharge my phones and in my four years of using mobile phones, I have never had to replace the batteries of any phone I have owned and I have used BenQ, Sony Ericsson and Nokia. My father has used a phone, Nokia 6610, for more than five years and he always charged it throughout the night but the battery never gave up on him.

Worrying about this is like worrying about whether you should pour one and a half or two cups of water while preparing noodles. It matters little whichever way you go. :)

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
^^ yes....
i think nokia has the autocut facility.... whenever it charges then the charger and phone heats up, but after fully charging charger & phone wont heats up anymore(its cools down) , so there sure a autocut for Nokia phones, dont know about other phones.....

gmanog

Journeyman
Guys almost all the phones in the market is with auto cut facility, once charge is full, it will automatically cut the charging, so there is no quetion of over charging.

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
gmanog said:
Guys almost all the phones in the market is with auto cut facility, once charge is full, it will automatically cut the charging, so there is no quetion of over charging.

hi guys
batteries have something called lifecycle...each battery can be charged and discharged for particular number of times...this varies from 500 to 750 depending on the make and type. after its lifecycle..the battery is either dead or looses it retaining capacity.

yes there is a facility to cut charging automatically. But, after auto cut, the cell is idle and yet it consumes some power from the battery to identify signal or do something. so battery discharges say by about 1%, now again it charges 1%....then discharges 1%..this keeps on hapening...if this happens 100 times (for eg) then 1 life cycle is wasted. henceforth, multiple number of lifecycles are wasted while overcharging a cell.

so it is better not to overcharge them overnight but to frequently charge them during the day..and not allowing discharge them completely as this will add extra strain on the battery.

dont over charge and also dont under charge...stay in the optimised level. ideally for Li-Ion battery, charge it if the level falls down by 30-40%.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ completely agree! tho this is never happened my any of my cellphones' batteries my laptop battery is dead due to this!!!!

Pathik

Google Bot
well my bl 5c is on charging all the time i m home and i dont see any difference in performance.. I used to do the same with my bl 6c since two years and no effect.. So trash all the theories and charge ur mobile as u wish

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
man.. dun bother abt cellphone batteries.. as said before even i never noticed any major change in battery backup due to this... can even replace if its dead.. cost hadly matters.. but now.. i can't spend 6k on a new laptop battery!!! so be careful in case of laptops!

azzu

AJJU
hey funny answer frm the gdatuk about life cycle .If u dont charge the battery then also the mobile is consuming the power then also life cycle is been wasted .Yup i agree that its on ur mob about auto cut i used a nokia 6021,6600,samsung(basic phone).I used to overcharge them some even days but didnt got probs from thr nokia phones though samsung batt got bulged and replaced the batt ..SO ITS ON UR MOB

gmanog

Journeyman
Guys, you can read about Battery Care in the following links, I hope that will help you.
*www.mobileshop.org/usertech/batterycare.htm
*www.funsms.net/cellphone_battery_guide.htm
*www.vodafone.ie/phonestariffs/newusers/lookingafter/phonecare/index.jsp
*ckm.osu.edu/mobile/5483.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom