A Simple Firefox 2 XML Hack for faster Googling

Did this give you faster search results ?

• Can't say - Not going to try it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onkar Joshi

Broken In
When Googling from Firefox from India, search queries are sent to google.com but are redirected to google.co.in causing an irritating lag.

This can be fixed by editing the google.xml file (for Firefox 2) in the installation folder.

Now I get much faster results ! I guess this could be of use to many.

Detailed steps to do this and a little more info are available from my blog if needed from A Simple Firefox 2 XML Hack.

Would be great to have your comments on the blog ! :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I just visit the google homepage and click on 'visit Google.com' and for a non-cache/cookie deleter like me, its always .com for all searches then onwards.

OP
O

Onkar Joshi

Broken In
QwertyManiac said:
I just visit the google homepage and click on 'visit Google.com' and for a non-cache/cookie deleter like me, its always .com for all searches then onwards.

That tip is supposed to help those who are habituated to using the built in search box in the upper right corner.

Atleast I, almost never visit the google homepage directly.

One can of course set their homepage to google.co.in and go HOME by doing an Alt+Home.

da_tcpip

Journeyman
i got a way better trick to do the same

Step 1. go to Bookmarks> Organize bookmarks
Step 2. click on New Bookmark...
Step 3. fill these details
name google
location : *www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=%s&btnG=Search&meta=
keyword g
Step 4 click ok and you are done
from now on all google queries can be handled directly off google.co.in and directly off the address bar..
You just have to type in
g thinkdigit
it also works if you put inverted commas/multi strings and anything

rep me if you use it ;)
PS the same can be done for any search engine.. the other one i use is imdb.com (location *www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=%s) keywork being 'i'

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I like Firefox's integration with Google's I'm Lucky feature. I just type 'imdb <text>' and google auto relocates me :D Works 96% accurately :p

eddie

El mooooo
@da_tcpip: No need to manually create bookmarks and remember the address of the location fields. If you just want to add a search in Firefox...go to the site that has the search field and then right-click in the search box. Click on "Add a keyword for this search..." and just add the keyword :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom