a really wierd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikram

Right off the assembly line
i have a network related problem for quite some time. The problem is my network monitor shows continous activity downloading packets from nowhere. During times windows even reports of a spyware(it turned out to be searchclick.cc/ some chm file but nothing in it after i clicked a popup that appeared in sytem tray) that it is stealing some imp data from system. I was not able to remove that spyware nor rectify the activity. I even tried AVAST spybot ad aware (and even my registry) but none shows any thing related to that file.Later i found in net the spyware (so called) could be removed by removing some files in system32 folder. And even after removing those files the problem continued.

The wierd thing in my problem is that i face the same problem in my LINUX FC3 OS also shows continous activity.And even wierd thing is that when i installed the same OS(the same CDs) in my friends comp even that showed same problem just after configuring network.
I even tried to find any clue using all network related commands i know in linux but in vain.
I am greatly worried about this problem . Where does this data come from and where does this goes into my hardisk. Is there any spyware that affects system in both the Os's Or is my system is being used as a zombie. The activity is nearly 2 Mbps (0.02 to 0.2% of my 100Mbps connection).

Nitin_Tyagi

Broken In
You Can try removing these files in dos mode by booting from a bootable disk which can let you boot to DOS. You may be unable to remove the file because it is already loaded in the systems memory when you delete it.

blackpearl

The Devil
There could be 2 reasons to ur problem.
One is spyware.... and for that use 2 or more anti spyware programs like Adaware, Spybot and Webroot Spysweeper. Use all 3 to scan ur PC.

The 2nd reason could be autoupdate. Check whether any autoupdate feature is enabled. It could be Windows update, Antivirus update or any other s/w that could be running. Disable all such auto updates. Next install a firewall and try to identify which programs are trying to access net. This way u could pick out the offending application and any spyware that could be on ur PC.

For Linux too, check if any update feature is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom