A Networking Question for Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

khandu

In the zone
Well

I have two broadband connection and 2 computers.. Dont ask me y.. i will expalin all later.. Just take it as a Hypothetical Situation...

Now our funda is that we use 1 broadband in morning and second at night.. and both the computers share the connection..

Now is there any way that we add a hub or switch and put both the connection in 1 end and two lan connection in the other.. so we can simply drop a switch or do something so in morning.. we use 1 connection and then in evening use the other..

Just a situation.. I dont knw if its possible or not.. can some1 gives some advices..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well i have a MU BSNL BB.... now that allows me to connect the MOdem directly to the Switch... now i dont think that the SU account can allow u to take the modem directly to the switch... but hey its depends on ur ISP... but what aboud that 3 LAN card funda?? & useing a computer as server...

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
Well

I did not get ur point..

See i think i can use a HUB.. give input as the broadband connection and make 1 comp as server and make the other connect to my comp and then surf..

I just need to know is there any multi-input device.. and a switch to choose the input i want to use.?? I think this might solve my problem..

theraven

Technomancer
wait
does ur connection drop automatically or do u log off one then use the other ?

either ways .. there is one way cheaper too

give one pc 3 lan cards
the other just 1 will do

connect the 2 pcs using one each lan card

the other 2 connect the internet connection

in network connections of the pc with 3 cards bridge all 3 cards
and thats it .. no ics no proxy ..
login from that machine to either connection and it'll be shared to the other as well

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
theraven said:
give one pc 3 lan cards
the other just 1 will do

connect the 2 pcs using one each lan card

the other 2 connect the internet connection

in network connections of the pc with 3 cards bridge all 3 cards
and thats it .. no ics no proxy ..
login from that machine to either connection and it'll be shared to the other as well

exactly what i intended to say....

I said:
but what aboud that 3 LAN card funda??

@theraven if his both the ISPs doesnt support Bridging then how can he Bridge 2 separate ISP connection 2gether??

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
So

1 PC can have more than 1 LAN card.. Hmm.. cool.. I didnt know..

so I can put the broadband in 1 LAN card and the other PC in another LAN card... and to use the second Bband connection I can simply remove the wire of 1st and use put the 2nd.. right??? thats what u mean??

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Khandu said:
so I can put the broadband in 1 LAN card and the other PC in another LAN card... and to use the second Bband connection I can simply remove the wire of 1st and use put the 2nd.. right??? thats what u mean??

well get 3 card...

1 BroadBand connection 1
2 BroadBand Connection 2
3 Second PC CAT5

now there is a option in IE to switch from a connection to another..... just set one defoult then hit dial the defoult connection....

*img344.imageshack.us/img344/9309/010gr.th.jpg

*img344.imageshack.us/img344/585/029yj.th.jpg

theraven

Technomancer
@sourav .. bridging is a local thing
select all 3 lan cards on the particular pc and select bridge connections
simple as that

manavmohanty

Broken In
The pc sharing for internet on LAN

install 2 lan cards to 1 pc. (it will act as a server-> just act as one) and install one lan to the other pc. the pc that has 2 lans will have one wire connected that gets the internet connection. cofigure the ipaddress. then connect the two machines with a cros over network connection and assign a workgroup ip address. once this is done. either run ics in the server machine or install a proxy in the server. remeber the class c ip address should be like 192.168.0.1 for one machine and 192.168.0.2 for the other. where as the main connection setting will remain as per the providers settings. in ics of client machineu need gateways which will be the ip address of the server machine(not the ip address provided y the isp but the manual ip address of the 2nd lan card--> 192.168.0.1) in case of hub u can make a straigh cable connection and if u dont have a hub then make a crossover connection. its full duplex in all ways. :D in case of problem feel free to pm me

manavmohanty

Broken In
The pc sharing for internet on LAN

install 2 lan cards to 1 pc. (it will act as a server-> just act as one) and install one lan to the other pc. the pc that has 2 lans will have one wire connected that gets the internet connection. cofigure the ipaddress. then connect the two machines with a cros over network connection and assign a workgroup ip address. once this is done. either run ics in the server machine or install a proxy in the server. remeber the class c ip address should be like 192.168.0.1 for one machine and 192.168.0.2 for the other. where as the main connection setting will remain as per the providers settings. in ics of client machineu need gateways which will be the ip address of the server machine(not the ip address provided y the isp but the manual ip address of the 2nd lan card--> 192.168.0.1) in case of hub u can make a straigh cable connection and if u dont have a hub then make a crossover connection. its full duplex in all ways. :D in case of problem feel free to pm me

geekysage

Journeyman
@theraven: why does khandu need 3 cards? He is not gonna use both the connections simultaneously. I second manavmohanty's approach. Also, to saurav_cheeta's and your discussion about bridging, saurav is right. Although connection bridging is a local thing, most ISPs don't allow it coz it messes with their MAC and VLAN tables. You seem like a networking guy so i guess you must've got my point by now.

@qwertymaniac and khandu: "cat is the crossover" :lol:
Guys, CAT is an acronym for category. To be more specific, the cable that you use to create ethernet is called CAT5 i.e. category 5 cable. There are many other versions, namely CAT5e and CAT6 for ethernet (networks) which provide better performance. Anyway, what i was trying to say is that CAT means category and not crossover or some like that. Crossover and Straight thru cables are two different kinda wiring patterns made from the CAT5/5e/6 cables. The basic rule is: to connect two devices of the same kind (e.g. 2 computers), use a crossover and to connect two different kinda devices (e.g. a computer to a switch), use a straight thru cable. The names are taken from real world and if you think a li'l you would know why the cable which is used to connect two different devices (aka a man and woman :wink: ) is called straight and why a cross cable is called so. If you don't get the analogy, PM me and i'll teach you the whole sexology behind computer networking terms like a male and female socket, yada, yada :lol:

For more info on crossover and straight through cables, visit this site:
*www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

Peace.

manavmohanty

Broken In
straight and cross over are same wires only wire positions a

@geekysage khandu needs 3 cards because. one card will be connected to the cat5 wire from the isp. other 2 cards will be connected on lan. for internet sharing, as most isp dont have a class 3 ipaddress, the ip address of the isp may be not class3. cat 5 can be used as straight and as well as crossover.. i know that. my answer was if he is using a hub then he may use straight cable and in case of no hubs then he may use cross over cable (on cat 5....) so that the local network can be made.
in a cat 5 straight cable the rj45 has same config of 8 wires on both ends of the wire..
in cat 5 cross over connection -- the rj45 connectors at both end are interchanged to 1-3 and 2-6

thasts the only difference.. the cable is the same :)

geekysage

Journeyman
@manavmohanty: dude, i didn't post the CAT5/RJ45 info for you, it was to clear khandu's and qwertymaniacs's confusion. By the way, i still maintain my question @theraven and now to you. Why would you need 2 cards for the LAN? 1 for the broadband connection and the other for the ethernet would do the job, rite?

geekysage

Journeyman
c'mon guys, 2nd NIC just so that he doesn't have to unplug and plug a cable! doesn't make sense to me.

He said that he's not gonna use both the connections simultaneously but use one during the day and the other during the night. If that's so, he can just unplug the *morning broadband connection* and plug the other *night broadband connection* back to the same NIC when he wants. Do i make sense?

PS: saurav what reliance broadband connection do you have? i mean, what speed do you actually get and what are they charging you? I am asking coz i wanna get one for my parents when i visit 'em this september...with skype working, the thousands spent on callingcards each month would be saved :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
geekysage said:
PS: saurav what reliance broadband connection do you have? i mean, what speed do you actually get and what are they charging you? I am asking coz i wanna get one for my parents when i visit 'em this september...with skype working, the thousands spent on callingcards each month would be saved

well take a visit here 1st....

& about me as its testing connection so i am soppose to keep my mouth shut... but can tell u its 512KBPS connection (MU)... Reliance has given us (all the user in our building for testing).... but officialy this doesnt exist.... we do get good speed... the most njoying thing is right now there is no LIMIT for connection... & my brother has a cafe... there we use BSNL BB... (is 512KBPS MU now we r thinking to make it 1MBPS).... so if u r considering to take a BB connection the really visit this post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom