A look in to Philips 29" HD-CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Philips TV are really great, specially in the 25 - 29 inch range,
they have better contrast than Sony Wega, lg and all.

I am thinking of buying a Philips CRT Monitor ..
anyone have a idea of 17' Flat CRT price?

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
vivekbabbudelhi said:
@sam9s

again sorry for late response

regarding Upscaling players seeing is beliveing thats what i meant

you wanna have a xbox360 !! when you already have 7800gt!

dear pardon me if you feel im creeping in

ok back to business

MS(MICROSH$T) XBOX 360 IS A CRAP its just meant for plum kids !
let me start with technical specifications

main memory:512mb 700mhz gddr3 ram (unified memory architecture)
graphics memory:10mb embedded dram
cores: 3.2 ghz x 3 symmetrical elements
1mb L2 cache

ibm powerpc microprocessor

graphics chip:custom ati chip at 500mhz

hard drive : 20gb
hd support : hd dvd supported ;all games supported at 16:9,720p

xbox 360 hd dvd addon peripheral costs 200$ in us
bad thing is that hd dvd accesory is just meant for watching hd videos,not for playing game discs

but ps3 allows that too with blue ray disc

now consider the total cost for that hd dvd playback on xbox & 720p gaming when you already have 7800 gt with you and after that think of new gpu for hd gaming with that money !!
soon prices of blue ray & hd dvd drives for pc would slash down thats silver lining for htpc:cool:

if you closely look at models at www.moneual.com they closely match your current rig
i think you got my ideal!!;-)
good luck brother

To start with ...... I would still want an xbox360 though I own 7800gt, just because I am a gameing freak, infact very soon I'd upgrade to 8800GT as well for those awsome DX10 games. When u say 360 is crap.....it sounds more of a biased openion rather than backed up with facts. I dont think u are much of a gaming fan otherwise you would'nt have said that. As far as PS3 is concerned I can see another cadidate for PS3 fan. Initially I was also a PS3 fan but with time, facts proved practically 360 has given almost same gaming detail with almost half the price. I dont know how can you make such
a flat lame statement as 360 is crap with 360 having some awsome titles like GOW, games like Bioshock (incridible graphics), Lost Planet Extreme Conditions, Alan Wake, Hellgate London....the list is on....ofcourse PS3 also have some mind blowing titles like KillZone, Motostrome and Killing day, but at what cost?..... more than double in both console and game price.
I dont know about what the tech specs say but practically I have seen and played BOTH 360 ans PS3 and I was blown apart by the graphic details on both the consols I might say but PS3 is far more expensive and has far less titles available than 360. If u think I sound like a 360 fanboy checkout this discuession and you will know how blindly I was a PS3 fan when finally I realised that 360 is better....

*techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45683&highlight=

I have posted with the same name sam9s.....

PS::: The major drawback of PS3 is it cannot upscale so u got to have an 1080p HDTV to take full advantage of the games where as 360 has the capability to upscale games.

Last edited:

wirelessraj

| Game Artist |
sam9s said:
PS::: The major drawback of PS3 is it cannot upscale so u got to have an 1080p HDTV to take full advantage of the games where as 360 has the capability to upscale games.

Upscale is now possible with the new firmware update for PS3

LINK

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
yeah
dear i agree with you 360 provides all that fun as ps3 right now

right now .. right now....only

technically ps3 is advanced than 360.so ps3 has much more head room for game developers to exploit.

time would ony tell how ps3s hardware is exploited
for a console one just expect to have a great & affordable title . there ms is a clear winner right now...

a gamer definitively requires games for fodder.technical advancements dosent makes a console better.

right now 360 is making inroads in our living rooms leaps & bounds
its ms marketing strategy thats making 360 sell harder.comparatively 360 has better price to fun quotient right now..

so cheers..

if you look at your first post in this thread you intended this thread for a ht setup. so expect my post to be inclined towards a ht setup only. if you really read my last post again and again you would find that its not about any console its just about to have a best & affordable home theatre setup.

clearly my idea was for a ht setup dear..360 is a crap for if intended for hd movies.specifications were made spectacular just to compare it with a htpc (7800 based) intended for hd content not more than that..and new hd gpus were accounted for gaming with a htpc.

if i was to make a choice in consoles it would have been a 360 for a console for gaming.. gaming..& gaming

regarding gaming let me tell you truth. when i was in my b.tech i used to have some time.now im a govt. servant my job is 10am-6pm .you live in delhi you know about travelling time.i have 3 pcs at home one my old p4 845 & other a p3 815 .. from btech times and nearly a year old athlon 6150 htpc setup.i dont get time to even touch them on week days.i have sun. off so must have to spend time with family & friends.where is the time for me to play games.. .i have an acer travelmate 250 issued by my office as my companion and it sucks(852/855chipset).i still have 6yrs old vsnl dial up account at home.no time for broadband at home.i have dsl at office and at fields 3230 gprs and laptop keeps me happy with web.i read every magazine viz pc quest,chip,digit,pcworld,efy,pcmag .i get them all fom my office.these magazines have revoked my old interest in digi stuff(im a b.tech in e&c) and i cant resist it now.thats why im here .i visit this forum 3 times a day.

i still remember leisure in b.tech days.mtm 2 ,cfs 3 ,quake3 (err.. that longest yard)were last games which i enjoyed fully in my btech and yeah that school time favourite dx5 based from monolith production claw..
last time i tried doom3 due to its vast popularity with hardware tests and yup even flatout2 but my frequent tours made me lose interest in them too..where is time..for.. simulation

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Glad to know more about you vivek. Leme tell you something about myself as well.......even I am working and married as well, though not in a Govt. job. I am in to CRM,ERP and my timings are anything between the given 24 hrs, so you see time even fro me is very hard to find. I only have 3 die hard interests in my life.....one is all tech and digi stuff,.........second Hollywood flicks and last not least gaming. When I say die hard I mean I am a complete freak about my these passions. Only I know how I find time for my these interests.......to vouch ask my wife. I am in to computers since my childhood when those 486 were in to the picture, ofcourse I could'nt own one but my father now retd. Civil Engg was in CBRI, thats a huge central govt body. They had those 386,486 with all those green monocrome terminals. I tell you we used to do BASIC and a 100 line code of BASIC used to take 30 minutes to compile. We used to go to the library after running it.....haha. Those were the days, since then I had owned a P1, a PII then a PIV and now a C2D. During my MCA we had a complete LAN to enjoy all network games and games like AOE and motoracer were practically our religion. Time I know would always be an issue, but you got one life....just one life, I got to enjoy few things I live for....(sounds selfish does it......aaahhh)

BTW I forgot to mention 360 can also play H.264 content.

Last edited:

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
ha..ha....
that was really interesting to know abt u.

this war of consoles is gonna continue for good

360 costs 300$ for core,400 $ with hdd & 600$ with hd dvd

other side u have ps3 with blue ray top end model for 600$ and lower model with 20 gb hdd for 500$ and both with hdmi 1080p capable

360 has xbox live ready to go, ps3 network is still untested

and of course upscaling is not gonna make much difference to sd content.upscaling is much dependent on rendering quality of source.games my look a little better.

360 has a great option of windows media extender lets u pair it with a xp mce or vista mce pc and thats really ms dominance in our homes

but u have to admit that by adding blue ray and hdmi upto 1080p support sony has made ps3 ready for a decade atleast a decade.

people had a real bad memory of $700 3DO game machines of 90s .they had a real value built in cd rom ..

but lets forget abt all that. i have come to know u are a die hard gamer and nothing beats 360 core for 300$ with some real awesome titles that too at affordable price.
for 720p gaming and mce entender capable 360 is a steal..game titles wont be a worry as its MS branded
and some thing more ..still ps2 sells like hot cakes b.coz of a whole lot of titles everywhere .give a visit to pallika.....so its games titles which make console better.thus 360..rules right now..right now...
hdcp is not a concern for u as 8800 is near u.;);)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
vivekbabbudelhi said:
but u have to admit that by adding blue ray and hdmi upto 1080p support sony has made ps3 ready for a decade atleast a decade.
well mate HD DVD players r avilable for as cheap as 6k now in india why would buy an HDH DVD add-onn for $200 .

ALso technical specs do not necessarily mean better performance .

ALso if u know , the softwares n games for consoles r directly compiled n linked for the specific hardware n thus there is no overhead of intermediate API's , etc .

This way , a PS2 running at 200mhz can easily beat my PC P$ at 2.8 ghz in gamin performance , same goes for all components .

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
vivekbabbudelhi said:
360 costs 300$ for core,400 $ with hdd & 600$ with hd dvd

other side u have ps3 with blue ray top end model for 600$ and lower model with 20 gb hdd for 500$ and both with hdmi 1080p capable

Well I am not sure about the price in $, but yes PS3 in india starts from 35000+ and 360 for 17000+ thats a HUGE HUGE diference if you ask me and as far as Blue ray is concerned, looking at the trend I'd say HD-DVD is winning and is becoming more accepted than BlueRay. I dont think PS3 is gonna come back......still lets see.

PS::: BTW I also own a PS2....;-)

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well mate HD DVD players r avilable for as cheap as 6k now in india why would buy an HDH DVD add-onn for $200 .

Zeeshan which HD-DVD played is of 6K.......??? I am sure it would not be from the commercial market.

Last edited:

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
ALso technical specs do not necessarily mean better performance .

ALso if u know , the softwares n games for consoles r directly compiled n linked for the specific hardware n thus there is no overhead of intermediate API's , etc .

This way , a PS2 running at 200mhz can easily beat my PC P$ at 2.8 ghz in gamin performance , same goes for all components .
haha..... dude i even didnt knew that...loads.& loads.....of thanks

Zeeshan Quireshi said:

as per best of my knowledge cheapest & crappiest (720p) of slandalone hd-dvd player costs 200$ and topend costs more than 1000$

give a look here

*www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1967044,00.asp

*shop.pcmag.com/shop/product/Toshiba+HD-A1/28822040.aspx

*www.pcmag.com/products/0%2C%2Ctqs%3D2E9F7FE5211C71C86B90E26FEDC26AC8EFF0B7A0%2C00.asp?action=defaultadvancedquery&cid=27353&sid=27353&gridtitle=Recent%20Product%20Reviews&googlequery=q%3d%26start%3d0%26num%3d10%26mt823%3d22587%26mt937%3d23045&stpdinglp=1

so from where have u got a hd dvd player for 6 k

and please anybody now dont say that moser baer and t-series have started producing hd-dvd movie titles for rs 50/

sam9s said:
PS::: BTW I also own a PS2.....
i smelled it

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
akd said:
Hi Sam, How r u. I am a new member in this area.I was quite facinated to buy 29PT8836 TV after reading ur review of the same by u .4 days back I was about to buy the same when the philips dealer came to my house for demo.Indeed it was a very nice TV. But I was rather disappointed with it's sound system.

Whlie watching through RF connection sound was excellent.But connecting my universal YAMAHA DVD player with AV inputs gave me very poor sound even streching the volume control of TV upto Max 100.I instantly reported that matter to the dealer and he tried to adjust the Menu for nearly 2 hrs but of no avail.My DVD player is doing fine with my existing 21" Sony TV. The dealer taken back the set and promised to deliver another set. I think the input sensitivites of AV inputs of 29PT8836 unusually low even below industry standard. Later on I tried with samsung CS-29Z40 and same problem with samsung also.picture quality for Philips excellent.Hence I still interested in Philips.The sound problem can be solved by adding one small computer active spkr system(5 -6 RMS power) in between DVD player and TV.I don't have TATA-SKY connection so don't know whether the same problem with TATA SKY also. Kindly advice accordingly I am mad about owning 29PT8836
akd

Yes I agree sound system is not at all impressive, but I remember I did mention somewhere that my prime objective on this TV would be movies and for that I have a dedicated spk system connected through my philips DVD player, which gives excellent sound output (complete 5.1 Dolby Sorround). For watching TV (TATA SKY), the default volume is fair and loud enough. For the test sake I did connect the DVD player with the TV with out the spk set and the sound was pretty decent, not the quality though but the quantity i.e the loudeness was ok. I dont know why its not the same with yamaha DVD player, maybe the set got a problem, try with a different set and then report. Till now I am fairly satisfied with the this HD TV. If you want to take out full potential of this set get TATA SKY for cable network and watch DVD movies through component in............trust me you wont be dissappointed on either ends.......

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
sam9s said:
Yes I agree sound system is not at all impressive, but I remember I did mention somewhere that my prime objective on this TV would be movies and for that I have a dedicated spk system connected through my philips DVD player, which gives excellent sound output (complete 5.1 Dolby Sorround). For watching TV (TATA SKY), the default volume is fair and loud enough. For the test sake I did connect the DVD player with the TV with out the spk set and the sound was pretty decent, not the quality though but the quantity i.e the loudeness was ok. I dont know why its not the same with yamaha DVD player, maybe the set got a problem, try with a different set and then report. Till now I am fairly satisfied with the this HD TV. If you want to take out full potential of this set get TATA SKY for cable network and watch DVD movies through component in............trust me you wont be dissappointed on either ends.......

guys i have something to say...

poor sound quality or loudness is definitely an issue with most tv sets

most hi end tv sets now have an avl (auto volume levelling)chip on their mobo.main function of this chip is to equalise the volume level difference in channels(via rf & av ) this is the reason we dont have a diff. in vol. when we change ch.s or switch to av.now another function is to protect speaker damage & prevent sound distortion at higf volumes. so it prevents sound volume higher than ambient capability of speakers.(in my lg set its just 9 so it dosent makes diff. in vol at 9 or at 100.sound is max at 9 in my set)low loudness is mostly attributed to low rms of onboard speakers of sets.

i have similar loudness problem its because of avl feature coupled with low rms of speakers.one solution is to use external speakers via headphone jack of tv set.this way u can use tv sets internal sound card and vol control of remote of tv set.i have tried sbs-370 & mx 5021 and results were really good.sbs 370 is recommended by me for tv set..as mx 5021 creates unnecessary heavy bass which is not required for casual watching.

also see my post in following thread

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51187

maybe my posts may help...

wirelessraj

| Game Artist |
This Philips 29" TV has the AVL feature, but there is an option to turn it off as well. It also has separate Bass & Treble settings.

So u can see the sound of this TV can be customized as per individual requirements.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
wirelessraj said:
This Philips 29" TV has the AVL feature, but there is an option to turn it off as well. It also has separate Bass & Treble settings.

So u can see the sound of this TV can be customized as per individual requirements.

Yes but this AVL system in philips TV is not much responsive. The sound is more or less same with or without the AVL. Guys...this TV is not about the sound it all about the shattering picture quality it offers.......

jonnycage

Right off the assembly line
thanks bro for the usefull review.i was gifted with the philips 29pt8836 a week back and im really enjoying my time with it. i am facing a mysterious problem,atleast mysterious to me,im asking ur help to sort it out.

as u know the 8836 has 2 ypbpr inputs at the back,one is component in and the other HD,the probs is that i cant watch dvds why i select progressive scan on my dvd,while the tv input is component video,i got the picture for a few mins but after stopping and restarting it went blank again,i had to go to interlaced mode to watch further.what could be the probs.

while the tv input is HD,i can whatch dvds with progressive scan(but not with interlaced selected) selected on my dvd player.but the pic quality seems to be inferior to what i get in component in and interlaced mode,is that how it should be? please help.

coolguy12374

Broken In
hi sam9,m new in dis forum n found dis topic interesting.Well have u get da cable?or ur search ends.I 2 have a da same philips model n planning 2 use it as my monitor 4 movies n gaming.Also planning 2 upgrade my pc.Wat do u think?

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
jonnycage said:
thanks bro for the usefull review.i was gifted with the philips 29pt8836 a week back and im really enjoying my time with it. i am facing a mysterious problem,atleast mysterious to me,im asking ur help to sort it out.

as u know the 8836 has 2 ypbpr inputs at the back,one is component in and the other HD,the probs is that i cant watch dvds why i select progressive scan on my dvd,while the tv input is component video,i got the picture for a few mins but after stopping and restarting it went blank again,i had to go to interlaced mode to watch further.what could be the probs.

while the tv input is HD,i can whatch dvds with progressive scan(but not with interlaced selected) selected on my dvd player.but the pic quality seems to be inferior to what i get in component in and interlaced mode,is that how it should be? please help.

R u sure you are using Component Cable and not Composite. Composite cable is the typical RCA type cable, one YELLO for video. One REN and one WHITE for stereo sound. If that is the one u are using you wont get anything while component selected, its the composite video that probably you are getting. One thing more component only plays progressive, you cannot play interlaced with a component cable.

sagar_coolx said:
dude sam9, have u found a vivo cable (also known as hdtv cable) to connect ur geforce 7800 to da tv?

nope i am unable to find any such cable inspite of repeated attempts. xbox360 includes such a cable. I guess I will wait till I buy 360.....lol

Last edited:

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
Guys I have to buy a 29 CRT TV,which company and model should I go for although I prefer the sony due to its trinitron tube.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Guys I have to buy a 29 CRT TV,which company and model should I go for although I prefer the sony due to its trinitron tube.

well what can one suggest ....if you have posted in this thread then you must have read through it......BTW my Phillips model is not coming anymore.....so you gotta research again.........can check out this link...

*www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/...FK_DIGITAL_MEDIA_READER;false][compare;false]

wirelessraj

| Game Artist |

Almost all 100Hz TVs which was available in India, the production has been stopped!!!

Best is to visit MouthShut.com & go through the user reviews of the popular 29" TVs & then visit a local retailer & check those out yourself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom