A look at 9800 GX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
As the battle of graphics monsters continue, the manufacturers bring out the best they can design.
And everyone is ancious bout the battle : HD3870 X2 vs 9800 GX2:rolleyes:

here are some news nd pics of 9800GX2.
Let the battle b/w HD3870X2 nd 9800GX2 in thinkdigit forum be held in here:p

*www.techpowerup.com/img/08-01-28/1-3_thm.jpg

read on:

*www.techpowerup.com/index.php?50961

Who

Guess Who's Back
LOL battle between 9800 GX2 & 3870 X2 , if you didn't know 3870 X2 is as powerful as 8800 Ultra & 9800 card is suppose to be very power than any 88xxx card & that too 9800 GX2 should be the fastest card on the planet , while 3870 X2 is an high-med segment card there is no comparison.

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
nvidia themselves says that expect 9800GX2 to be maximum 30% faster than 8800GTX.
And how came HD 3870X2 a high-med seg card?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
a bottle shud be shoved down their neck for releasing a card like every 2 days :x seriously there should be a PIL filed against these guys for not maintaining shelf life of products and deceiving customers

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
^^^:mad: Ya, actually I was thinking of a laptop based on 8800GTS 512MB and now they announce this. Now I will have to wait till the mobile versions of the 9XXX series comes out to make my investment.:mad::(

arnold991

Broken In
^^^:mad: Ya, actually I was thinking of a laptop based on 8800GTS 512MB and now they announce this. Now I will have to wait till the mobile versions of the 9XXX series comes out to make my investment.:mad::(

Which was the laptop you were thinking to buy having Geforce 8800 GTS as the Graphic Chip ? :rolleyes:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Dual GPU data processing currently has major flaws.Since I have myself used two Different GPUs in SLI(please understand the obvious)I know that even a single 8800GT is way better than two 8800GTS 640MB in SLI.Theoretically nvidia says that two GPU system gives 200% performance of the original GPU performance.Now in real world scenarios it scales from anywhere between 150% to 180% according to various benchmarks.And then again even if you get a FPS 40-50 you feel a very noticeable lag in applications,which is beyond my level for explanation.This is not my opinion its a fact.The opinion is that two GPU systems are waste of money.Your better off with the highest end GPU.

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
I cannot belive harvik780... Its something called load balancing....Which is suppose be in SLI Technology...Not Load taking technology...I have 8600 GT XFX and my frinds 2 no's of the same card....Where max of 10-15 FPS it can take and his it runs @ 25-30 FPS...You know which is better in this.]

eBRo

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame
^^U sound a noob.The scaling depends both on driver and the game u are playing watch out for the upcoming review by harvik780 u will soon find out.

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
And in worst cases the result will be worse than single GPU. And the performance can improve by selecting difference rendering techniques to suite the game engine as with older games like Farcry.

The main negative of SLI being overheating if the cabby is not well ventillated nd has gud airflow mechanism. the PGU in middle will get lot hotter.

And as Harvik has two SLI based system, what he says shud be very much true.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
One of the most noticeable annoyance in SLI is that even if the FPS is 40ish sometimes people feel a lag,many people have reported this problem.I am not sure about crossfire but i have seen people complaining about this very problem with Crossfire configurations.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^hey, I don't think so......b'coz X-fire produces more efficient out put than SLI technology. i.e. when 2 identical cards in X-fire gives abt more than 50% improvement in performance whereas SLI can produce only upto 30% improvement. Only thing is dat in X-fire both cards should be identical, or the card with highest rating will scale down to d performance of d other low rated card.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
SLI performance varies from 50-60% lowest increase and can go up to 80% highest increase.As far as crossfire is concerned ATI cards already do not perform as well as nvidia cards so even if the scaling is more the ultimate result is the same in dual GPU systems for both companies.The highest crossfire scaling i have seen is in Half Life 2 at XHD with a scaling of 96%.
My point is that Dual GPU systems show a lag even if the framerate is high and the obvious reasons are understood.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
a bottle shud be shoved down their neck for releasing a card like every 2 days :x seriously there should be a PIL filed against these guys for not maintaining shelf life of products and deceiving customers
Yes, releasing cards and outdating their own products.
at this speed, Get 10800 GTX in June :D :D LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom