Status
Not open for further replies.

gaganoopse

Right off the assembly line
I installed a software called Spybot from Jan 2005 magazine CD. It scanned my computer and brought forward some spy ware. It also included some registry entries. I suspected it might be dangerous to delete one of these entries (something about network) but I deleted it :( . Now the problem is that whenever I connect to the internet, it although gets connected, but no page loads. In Firefox, as soon as you hit return key, it gives the error message, “<hostname> could not be found. Please check the name and try again.�, as if something is blocking it from accessing the internet.this thing occurs for every website. (Internet Explorer gives the “Cannot find server� message.) Is there any thing that I can do to repair the damage other than clean reinstall. I have Zone Alarm 5.5 installed.

The word of advice here is: Don't trust even the best magazine around blindly.
Also any suggestions.. Help me ASAP

swatkat

Technomancer
Probably you have been hijacked by NewDotNet. This damages the WinSock Layers. That's why u cant connect to Net.
And, dont blame SpyBot SnD for it :)

You can always restore those deleted entries, just go to "Recovery" tab in SpyBot and select the deleted items, and click "Restore".

Get, LSPFix, and post a screenshot of it. Dont remove anything,
*www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Also, post HijackThis log file...
If you want to know how to use HijackThis, see here..
HijackThis Info

*www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom