A Guide To Cleaning Ur PC Inside-Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paranj

Cleaning ur PC is essential today. Got ur new hardware and Windows? Happy with the power and features? LLet a month past and ull start seeing all the dust it got on it.So how do u get rid of it? This thread is aimed at healthily cleaning ur PC while getting it back in one piece.

When and when u shud clean? Well it maybe once in a month or two. It could be boring and IT WILL TAKE TIME but its essential.

Why Do It? Well dust tends o kill the ellegence of ur PC and more if it stays stationary, it may cause malfunctioning in fans and other components.

What things to use for the job? The things i tend to use is a cloth(dry and smooth) and a blower(hot or cold air dont matter.) And u need to have a brush (tooth or painting one) handy for small places. And as usuall all the stuff to open ur cabinet.

How to do it? Well the main part. Gentally start by unplugging ur wires(remeber them i u still havent to as to where to plug them!)Open the cabinet and be sure to place on it on sturdy table-top or something. Use ur wares or directly open if u have thumb screws. Gently clean the panels inside and out with the cloth and blow air afterwards. Use the brush for small places. keep the panels in a clean place so all ur work dosent go in vain. Well now moving inside, first clean the base of the inside with the cloth and use brushes again for small places between connectors and stuuf. Clean each fin of each fan with the brush in one hand while using the other to hold the fan steady. did it? Now moving to components. Take the HDD first. Its minimal effort to clean it as its a considerably large component. Use the cloth and brush as for now.Than take the optical drives. Now it needs care as u MAY damage it. Only use gentle brush strokes and be sure to get each crevass(hehe). Moving to ur GPU(if u have a dedicated. Its farely easy, dont use the cloth as to ensure safety. use long vertical strokes on the PCB and be sure to clean between each heatsink stick. Use the fan method on the GPU's fan. CPU is not as easy to clean as they have a big fan. Dont get frustated. Call another person if u like. Dont use the blower as that will just move the fan(actually,try it as its fun to see:D) use the cloth on the non-occupied parts of the mobo. Be careful while cleaning the RAM. its delicate. U need to plug it out. refer the manual of ur mobo to learn how to unplug it. Just use brush strokes and cloth on the heat-sink. Than blow it with the blower and plug it again. Give each compnent some blowing using the blower. Fit the case as it was and keep it there. We'll clean the wires:D. Its common sense. Use the brush(Its the best tool aint it?) to do it. U may use cloth for big connectors. No need to use the blower. Keep them aside and YES BE SURE TO CLEAN THAT PART OF THE DESK. Moving on to the monitor. If u have a LCD than its hassale free. Just use the cloth and give it a finishing touch with the blower. If its a CRT than duh! Work again :) Use the cloth to wipe the screen. Go gentelly all over the body with strokes from the cloth. Use the brush for areas near the stand as they tend to have samll places which are a hot-spot for dust(This point applies to LCDs too). Speakers are fairly easy. Woofers are mainly flat and the sattelites dont have much small places. The cloth will take care of it. Ah! the good old keyboard is a pain. U will have to use the brush to clean the space around each key. YES ALL 4 SIDES OF EACH KEY. but that is if u want a clean keyboard, otherwise just use the cloth and blower. Mouse is easy.

So now? Now? Now enjoy healthy computing. Not only it will give ur system more life, but will also save u from disease.

Caution - Dont do if u have a dust allergy. Just ask for help than. AND take care of ur components. They are expensive and delicate.

This shud be done at a regular time interval although it could be boring and very tiresome. BUT IT does not mean u make it a hobby and keep on doing it everyday but i know no one will do it:D

Hope u got sumthing from this thread and it will help

Happy Computing friends :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanx for the Tutorial Paranj.....

Whats the approximate price of a blower BTW?? My friend needs one.....

OP
P

paranj

@gagandeep, any blower will work. A hair blower too!

@ax3, m trying best to upload pics.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I would like to add :

1) Don't use the hair blower for too long, the heat may damage the components. Use the vaccum pump is great alternative to hair blower. You can get a Vaccum Pump in any computer store for Rs.100.

2) Open the pc in adequate lighting in your room. I prefer to open it on the floor.

3) Use Ear swabs .. the one to clean our ears, to clean the keys on your keyboard. It doesn an excellent job than brush.

4) Use Pencil Eraser to clean the ram stripes. Do it gently, don't apply too much force.

5) Use a linth free cloth to clean the components.

BTW nice guide paranj *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/34a.gif

mastermunj

In the zone
Good job buddy!!

please put some pics and links to make it more understandable..

i just hate reading looooong texts.. haha... picture attracts me ;)

Renny

Padawan
Nice tut dude, almost got out a kilo of dust form my PC especially from the PSU and CPU Fan :D .

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
For cleaning the keyboard thoroughly, I remove all the keys and wipe each key and the board. Any other way??

btw nice guide paranj.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
Actually bro u forgot 1 important thing.
First u hav to get rid of any static electricity that has been built up in ur body, that can cause serious. U know how to do that i suppose? U just hav to touch the cabinet while its earthed, or better still, wear a grounding strap while handling electricals.
Thats it.

Signing off; Bikalpa Paudel

OP
P

paranj

^^my friend notified it to me but forgot to post so guys take care of the static electricity.

THANKS A LOT bikdel

stylecraze

Broken In
I would like to add :

1) Don't use the hair blower for too long, the heat may damage the components. Use the vaccum pump is great alternative to hair blower. You can get a Vaccum Pump in any computer store for Rs.100.

2) Open the pc in adequate lighting in your room. I prefer to open it on the floor.

3) Use Ear swabs .. the one to clean our ears, to clean the keys on your keyboard. It doesn an excellent job than brush.

4) Use Pencil Eraser to clean the ram stripes. Do it gently, don't apply too much force.

5) Use a linth free cloth to clean the components.

BTW nice guide paranj *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/34a.gif
Thx buddy, short nd point-wise

johnjjx

Ambassador of Buzz
Usb vaccuum is waste. Instead use hand blower 15rs. Tht does gud job. Cleanin psu, cpu hsf n gpu hsf is worst:(.
Wud like to add y it is important to clean. During monsoon dust may mixup with moisture n tht can badly damage ur pc parts. Gud guide.;-)

OP
P

paranj

Guys i may add pics but everyones PC s different and so would be cabinet design and all:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom