A CD with 4-5 GB of DATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhasingale

Journeyman
Hello friends, Now dis wud be amazing to read or may be already discussed in forum but i have one CD (Mind u not a DVD) that has all 10 different versions of Windows 2003 server on it, and it is also a bootable CD.

Now wen i copy the disk content to my HDD is takes 4-5GB disk space, But the disk space is 698 MB in properties. I m wondering dat how 4-5 GB of data is stored on a normal 700 MB Compact Disk . A direct cd to cd copy can be made of dat CD.

So freinds please tell me how to do such a gr8 job coz if we cn do dis we will never need a DVD isn,t it?

Charley

Just Do It
Maybe it could be compressed.

But its really strange that , in a CD how can GB's be stored.

Hoping other users can explain this..

godsownman

Padawan
Yes I have read this here in the forum only.

Suprisingly this person who had this CD also had all the windows OS's loaded on it.

Please if somebody knows please let me know

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
It's no magic of compression blah blah...Its quite simple. There is an MS Office 2003 CD which is a All-in-One CD which shows the so called 4GB of data. Thats is mainly because Microsoft Word points to set of common files used by it which is the same as frontpage, VISO and so on. And each is just linked to the file and does not have the file as such. Hence each thinks it has a full installation with all the files available to it only. Hence u get this massive 4-5gb file size.

Techmastro

Journeyman
Yes i too have read this before

i think topic was "extent of overburning"
please search it to clear your doubts.

plasmafire

Journeyman
nope u can't overburn it to GBs.. i think the record is ~900 MB on 700MB CD..

The CDFS is edited to show multiple logical copies of a single physical file.. quite simple really. also used for copy protection.

in this case, i guess the program needs many similar files in the install dir of every windows, so they have made logical copies in the same directories by manually editing the filesystem.

BTW, the CD is illegal..so don't advertise

q3_abhi

Youngling
I got a CD which consisted of Rise of Nations n Rise of Nations: Thrones n Patriots full !!!! Now how can that be possible?? It was PKZipped!!!!

expertno.1

Technomancer
@q3_abhi

well pk zip is a compression utility which compresses the files

so u can get 1000 mb's to be compressed into 400 mb's or less

well

Winrar has the ebst compression na ?

khandu

In the zone
Well if u see.. MYTH rips..

Now they compress games to 200-300 MB

What they do is remove all unnecessary files like video/ clips etc.. and then use a software called UHARC .. this software can do a very high compression.. mp3 is a diff data pack and others in a diff data pack..

u see any modern pirated CD.. 80% will be using UHARC compression..

It takes a lot of time to compress..

And if u talk about windows CD.. use nlite to remove all extra component and use UHARC..

just removing all extra languages can reduce 100 MB ur Windows installation CD ..

expertno.1

Technomancer
well virtual cd is a good cd copying utility with compression

it emualtes the compressed images..how its done
can anyone tell me

deepak_m

Broken In
it was in digit that some company which starts with 's' (Samsung?,sanyo?)is releasing a cd-rw which can write about 4GB of data onto a normal 700mb cd!

khandu

In the zone
expertno.1 said:
well virtual cd is a good cd copying utility with compression

it emualtes the compressed images..how its done
can anyone tell me

Use Alcohol 120% .. A CD/DVD Drive emulator and best in market.. can easily copy and rewrite it onto another CD/DVD..

OP
S

suhasingale

Journeyman
I read the previous post and found the answer.. well thankz to every one who replied and i hav also found how we cn create such kinda CD's with common files..

Please refer following links to kno how we cn make those CD's
*www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t45270.html
AND
*www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39994

aadipa

Padawan
Its a symbolic links.. ie as said by icecoolz and plasmafire

It was also discussed few times earlier.. see

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14764

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom