A 7900 GTX SLI on a Non SLI ASUS mobo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

capri435

Broken In
Hi guys
I wanna know if I can run a sli version of 7900 GTX on an ASUS A8NE non-SLI mobo.Actually i was planning to buy an 7900 GTX
i have the ASUS A8NE mobo,X2 4200+,2GB ram.I was thinking of adding another card and upgrading my mobo later on.
Thanx

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I don't think there is anything as a SLI version and non-SLI version.

All Geforce high end or even mainstream class cards can be used alone and also in SLI if you have the right mobo and all.

Any 7900GTX should do, there is nothing as a card which doesn't support SLI in the highend league.

Don't get it though.

A radeon X1900XT/XTX crushes it to hell.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
U can get the 7950 Sli....

It is this......
They need just one PCIe slot and can work on non- SLi mobos.....

*img155.imageshack.us/img155/1549/gw79x2cp0.th.jpg *img155.imageshack.us/img155/1530/7950coolersanglejd9.th.jpg *img155.imageshack.us/img155/6078/7950backmc1.th.jpg

Yes the 7950 Sli is officially supported by the A8N-E...(nforce 4 ultra)..not SLi...
Only U might have to get a BIOS update....

Last edited:

d

Journeyman
samrulez.. if the multi-gpu cards are used on a non SLi motherboard, it'll show up as one card only.. even if it uses one PCI-E slot, it needs a SLi capable motherboard ..

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Sorry!! I mean nope!!
The 7950 SLi is an excpetion......ofcourse it will be shown as one card but the performance will be close to 2X 7900 .......
...They can run on non-SLi boards...that was the main reason why they made it!!
So that this easier to upgrade for people who don't have SLi tech in their mobo.....

@capri435 : For u.....its better to get a SLi mobo.....Get a DFI Lan Party SLi...for A8N-E SLi or A8N32-SLI

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@capri435
I recomment not to go for 7950 as it may not support A8NE fully nd Ive read somewhere dat the cards architecture is causing problems in some games.(image gets blurred nd some other kinda artifacts). Why take chances. So get any 7900GTX. It will work just fine on A8NE. SLI ready cards means that it has SLI expansion pins nd can be used in SLI config with two of such identical cards.
Every cards higher than 6600 non GT(ie from GT) are SLI ready.

d

Journeyman
ahh.. samrulez.. it is a SLi card with two gpu's on the same card mate.. which means it needs an SLi capable mobo for the SLi bridge to function.. of course it'll work on non SLi motherboards, but only one GPU will work.. the other one won't be recognized..

OP
C

capri435

Broken In
Ya i too found out that Any 7900 GTX can be run in SLI mode on a SLI mobo...
So theres nothing like a SLI or Non SLI cards

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Actually 7950 is supported by A8N-E........see here: *www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp but with BIOS update.
But can someone clarify if it will work as two GPUs or one? If it was only one GPU then what's the use of making it compatible with A8N-E?
Pls clarify......anyone.

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yes john both the GPUs work...........But the performance is not exactly equal to 2 7900s......but its vety close to that......
And 'bout the SLi brige......its built on the Chip of the card.....so u don't require a SLi capable mobo....for that....

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Thanks sam.......but will u prefer actual SLI config or this implemented SLI (whatever u may like to name it)? Pls give the reason.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Actually If i had a SLi mobo I would opt for 7950 SLi..........but if I had a non-SLi mobo then 7950 SLi would be a killer deal.......
That's why it was made so that people with non-SLi mobo can also experience the power for 2 :D without having to upgrade the mobo...

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
U can get 2x 7950 in sli(TL of 4 GPUs). But nvidia has not yet released the driver for dat. But they say it would be released soon!!

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
samrulez.. if the multi-gpu cards are used on a non SLi motherboard, it'll show up as one card only.. even if it uses one PCI-E slot, it needs a SLi capable motherboard ..

But can someone clarify if it will work as two GPUs or one? If it was only one GPU then what's the use of making it compatible with A8N-E?

On SLi mobo's the 7950GX2 and the 7900GX2 gives two options for running - SLi and dual GPU ... on the A8N-E it gives only the later .. i.e. the Dual GPU option .. the performance diff. between the two modes is around 10% , and barely matters coz with a proper CPU u'll doing >100 fps at any settings in any game anyway .. performance wise .. the 7950GX2 is much better than a single 7900GTX , and slightly slower than the 7900GTX's in SLi ...

Also .. the 7950GX2 is a bit buggy .. the better option would be the 7900GX2 , but the later is huge (literally) , so unless u have a good case .. stay away ..

U can get 2x 7950 in sli(TL of 4 GPUs). But nvidia has not yet released the driver for dat. But they say it would be released soon!!

91.45 is the first official beta to support Quad SLi .. it does tricks on the 6 series too .. now u get "Transparency AA" in 6 series too :D

I think you may need to update to bios 1013 for that and I have read bad things about that bios for oc

I think , the min. bios ver. for the A8N-E to run the 7950GX2 or the 7900GX2 would be 1011 ...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Get X1950XTX >+- 7950GX2

Or get 1900XT and upgrade to DX 10 later, who do you want to spend over 30k on a DX 9 card. Get a 1900XT, or if you have to go higher get the 1950XTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom