8x graphics card for 4x AGP slot, will it make any differen

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyGuy

Right off the assembly line
Hi everyone,

I have an VIA chipset motherboard (P4M266A) with S3 graphics (ProSavage DDR) on board graphics core, i am not satisfied at all with the capability of this core, the motherboard has a 4x AGP slot.

I am thinking of buying a 8x graphics card probably the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, but will there be any gain in the performance given the 4x AGP slot of my motherboard?

What do you suggest?

TIA :wink:

godzi_85

In the zone
nopes no perfomance gain.. not much though.... cause if you use a 8x graphics card of a 4x agp slot then it will only cause a bottleneck for your system resources and won`t give you any performance gain atall..
better get a 8x agp slot ka mobo.. and then think of getting a 8x agp card.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
yes there will a marked improvement in performance as the onbard graphics setup is alwase a load on the system in terms of shared mem and cpu overheads. a 8x agp card will work at 4x ok a little reduced throughput but it will be a lot better than the onboard stuff.

imgame

Broken In
well offcourse it is going to make a diffrence as u r going for much better card that u currently have ..... .....well as far as the diffrence in performance goes ....it is definately a bit less but not huge .....though 8X has higher bandwith 2.12 Gb/s almost twice of that of 4X ....AGP bus .....but the performance differance is not huge probably 10~15% more ......the reason being the gamemakers(as gaming point of view) always knew the memory bandwidth bottleneck ...so they made there game engine intelligently so that games use less memory bandwidth as well as data bandwidth .....only the newer games ...which employ high polygon count and highly realistic physics engine ....needs high bandwidth because they know there are hardware available that can hadle such a bandwidth !.....so i say if u r desperate go for it ......otherwise it always better to utilise ur system at its fullest !

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Re: 8x graphics card for 4x AGP slot, will it make any diffe

HappyGuy said:
Hi everyone,

I have an VIA chipset motherboard (P4M266A) with S3 graphics (ProSavage DDR) on board graphics core, i am not satisfied at all with the capability of this core, the motherboard has a 4x AGP slot.

I am thinking of buying a 8x graphics card probably the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, but will there be any gain in the performance given the 4x AGP slot of my motherboard?

What do you suggest?

TIA :wink:

Yes if u are going for a gfx card the performance will be much better than the onboard solution u have. As for the AGP 4x slot on ur mobo, it doesnt matter since the performance difference will be less than a few fps's here and there. So that wud be less than 1 or 2% @ the max. Although there will be a difference of arnd 40-50 marks in benchmarking scores. And one more thing dude, get the fx5200 only if u r on a very tight budget cuz i have had that card for some time and believe me it sucks like anything if ur planning to play @ 1024*768 res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom