750mb *.dat(mpeg)vcd file to be burnt on 700 mb cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo

Broken In
I am relatively new here. See if u can help me out. I have a 750 mb .dat file i copied from a vcd. I want to write the same using a 700 mb media. A minor loss in quality is acceptable. What do i do. And what exactly is the diff btwn mpeg1 and .dat(vcd format). Is interconversion of them possible?

Delta

Journeyman
If you are talking about size on hard disc. You can burn it on normal CD most probably. Use nero to burn it. I've seen many VCDs having greater than 750 MB after extraction size.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Watevr software u use for burning, the thing is the movie length shud not be more than 80 mins or 84 mins to the max. Then click on Burn a Video disc, add ur file to the disc and then burn, hope this solves ur problem

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Theoretically 700MB is actually 716.8MB because 1KB is not exactly 1000Bytes but 1KB = 1024Bytes. So 700*1024 gives you 716.8MB which is rounded off to 717MB so the value of 717MB that you're seeing as the file size is, well, 700MB (I know it sounds confusing but its done to ease things because its easier for me to say 1KB or 700MB rather than say 1.024KB or 716.8MB).

Nero supports this overburn feature, but it's not supported for all the drives?

OP
D

dodo

Broken In
Nero says that the file is too large for media. Its a direct copy from another vcd and not a mpeg file. The movie length is 74 mins which presumably is quite acceptable.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Burn the file in VCD format only using Nero...from the starting screen of Nero, choose Video CD or Super Video CD option..then drag the .dat file on to Nero Video cd window.. nero will process the file and then it will be easy.

Upto 800Mb is possible on a 700Mb CD using the VCD format. Why? Because error correction isn't used. Write the CD in MODE2 Form2.

Strange no one else on these forums ever observed/commented/been aware of this. :eek:

I remember, back in the old days I used VCDEasy for authoring (I even remember publishing a bug fix and being featured on their website :lol: .) Try this software for your VCD problem.

Also have a read through this -

*www.gromkov.com/faq/burning/cdrom_capacity.html

-Keith

Dear dodo,
I have faced the same prob.
Th soln to ur prob is this...
1.copy the .dat file from the source cd to ur hard drive.
2.now use neo and click on "create new vcd" and NOT data cd.
As swetanshu put it..."Watevr software u use for burning, the thing is the movie length shud not be more than 80 mins or 84 mins to the max."This is because...
"Data disk and VCD are totally different.
Data disks are meant to store binary files, like common files.
But VCD have a defined file structure. Also the data in VCD (Video file only) is stored in a compressed format with compression ratio of about 13%
Thus you can have a 780 MB video on a 700MB CD as a VCD.
But you cannot have 780MB file on a simple 700MB data CD." - aadipa,Brainiac.
i think,When u try to copy cd to cd Nero takes it akin to creating a data cd.In ur case, since (750mb data > 700mb cdr), nero gives u the error that the medium cannot write to the disk as space is less. and abt 800mb cdRs,well i dont think they r a gud choice.there is a forum on it too.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21913&highlight=
Hope this helps!

manmay

Journeyman
the companies make such movie cd.... so as to limit piracy..
any way...
actually a cd is 700 MB for data...and 80 mins for movie
forget the size of the movie if it's below 80 mins then..it can be written on the cd...
i have seen movie cd having 82 mins of video and showinf 876 MB just imagine...
what u have to do is to check whether the *.dat file is below 80mins or not...
if it is below 80 mins them ...
open nero and select video-video cd..
and in the fiel selection menu select the dat fiel ...your job is done...
but if the *.dat file is larger than 80 mins then remove the waste part of the movie say the starting introduction shots or the ending titles....
u can use any software like vcd cutter most easily available ie...for cutting the movie file...
i hope that solves the prob pm me if u want to ask any mroe...or ofcourse u can ask here in this thread...

aadipa

Padawan
Strange no one else on these forums ever observed/commented/been aware of this. :eek:

Looks like ppl are not searching before creating new thread in first place. i just answered simillar problem couple of days back, was wondering how same problem came up in a day :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199058#199058

AlienTech

In the zone
dodo said:
I am relatively new here. See if u can help me out. I have a 750 mb .dat file i copied from a vcd. I want to write the same using a 700 mb media. A minor loss in quality is acceptable. What do i do. And what exactly is the diff btwn mpeg1 and .dat(vcd format). Is interconversion of them possible?

Video CD uses mode 2 which means there is no error correcting data which takes up over 30% of the disk space so you can fit a lot more. But you need to use a program that uses mode 2 mode to write cd's. Nero VCD burn does do this automaticlaly as long as the DAT file is okay. DVD's on the other hand does not use this so you dont gain any additional space this way. You can store data this way too but it is dangerous since there is always errors on a CD. VCD format is specific in that it is 1150KBits/second data transfer rate with fixed screen sizes and audio. While MPEG1 can have any kind of data transfer rates ( I use like 3MB 3000KB at least to get better screens for video capture). You can also use DVD kind of screen resolutions. Since VCD screen sizes are smaller than a regular TV screen you also loose quality this way. By renaming .DAT to .MPG you have just converted your VCD data to MPEG1 data :)

SVCD is also similar to VCD except it uses MPEG2 formats.. You could technically convert your DVD format files to CD by doing this but it takes 4-6 CD's to store a single DVD and I used to do this to copy DVD's until I got money to buy a DVD burner. There are a number of chinese SVCD players since CD players are a lot cheaper than DVD players as you need to pay royalties for DVD lenses while you can pirate CD lenses.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@alientech & @ boeing AV8R :wink:
well dudes....ulr the only ones who have answered his question correctly...

Well...for the rest of the ppl who have answered here they need to update their knowledge on Optical Media Technology......

but well ur figure of 30% is incorrect...........its actually 14% ....thats cos 288 bytes(ECC/EDC) out of 2352 bytes of each frame in a CD are not written when writing a VCD.........since it uses pysochovisual redundancy to achive lossy compression(MPEG1)....these rnt necessary.....(N thats why if u ppl observe carefully VCDs with sratches, even minor ones show loss in quality.......The Ice Age VCD i got free with digit is a very good example......when i first saw it it was flawless but now lotta noise is visible when u view it)........

Frankly Speaking i wud suggest ppl not to use the VCD format as it is bad for the long run......And if ur Hardware VCD players can play MPEG files on a Mode1 Data CD-ROM, use that instead if ur file is less than 700MB or else use an 800MB CD-R

Well.............nywaz..........

So that means the legal amout of DATA u cn put on a VCD is:

700 + 14% of 700 == 798MB

but because of the other files n some overhead it comes down to about 785MB.........

N this is the way the VCD was meant to be right since its format was invented

And it has nuthin to do with preventing piracy or ny other crap.......

N how long a VCD movie on a 700MB CD is depends on the MPEG1 bitrate which can be varied but as per the VCD standard it is 1150kbps...which means u can put upto 80 to 90 minutes of video depending on the audio bitrate..........

@dodo
so in simple words u can burn an MPEG/DAT file upto 785MB on a 700MB CD using Burn VCD option in Nero or many other softwares.........

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@alientech
BTW u cant convert a *.DAT file to an MPEG by simply renaming it..........
that leads to A/V sync problems in case u wanna encode it ......... and a *.DAT file is a container for MPEG ............... not MPEG by it self.....

try converting *.dat to *.mpg using VCD Gear u'll notice the *.mpg is smaller than the *.dat cos the redundant data is removed from the DAT file........

@drdrudge
dude i guess ur doin ur engineering down south, HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL .......... U FREAKED ME OUT with ur knowledge of Bits n Bytes............

hey b4 u make statements like 700MB is actually 716MB try n think abt what u said.............

Dude u quoted 1KB = 1024 bytes
then u multiply 700x1024 = 716,800

then u write it as 716.8 MB .........is this vedic/newtonian maths or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

700MB == 716,800KB == 734,003,200Bytes

U cannot write it as 717MB just by shifting the decimal........that way i can say:

700MB == 734.003MB by the second conversion i have derived......................Ur contradicting ur self.........!!!!

to get KBs from bytes u divide by 1024 ... n to get MBs from KBs u further divide by 1024......

The multiplication n division have to b symmetrical dude.........u cant just shift decimal places.......

The only place where these conversion rules r not follwed is by hard disk manufacturers......n everyone might have noticed that when u buy an 80GB HDD u never get 80GB but when u goto ur BIOS n chk the size it shows u 80,000,000,000 bytes

N when Windows displays its size it does so using the divide by 1024 RULE.....

So ul get a size of 76,293MB minus some overhead....

Cheak It OUT!!!

Just adding to my previous post and maverickrohan's - The VCD spec for PAL uses

Video:
1150 kbit/sec MPEG-1
352 x 288 pixels
25 frames/second

Audio:
44100 Hz
224 kbit/sec MPEG-1 Layer2

Extra:
Menus and chapters
Still pictures in 704x576,352x288

Now this equates to 10mb of data per minute. Or, 80 minutes on a 700mb disc.

Look here for full spec info - *www.videohelp.com/vcd

Cheers,
Keith

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
@maverickrohan
:shock:

I knew it was 716.5 or something like that.. but i got am confused now... leave it man :p

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
On an ordinary CD it is written 700MB/80 min.
While writing in VCD format the 80 min limit is active.An 80 min .dat could go upto 820 MB, but can easily be written on a Cd in VCD format.
All U have to do is Open NERO(or ur preffered burning software) nd select VCD format nd drag the file U wanted.U can add upto 80 min on an 700 MB cd. Amkette 800 MB CDs are also available for cheap retes.Try that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom