6600GT woos..... :(( HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpabhi

Broken In
Hello evrybody......

i got some serious trouble here....... care to help me?

i recently assembled a gaming rig

Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939
MSI RS480 (ati chipset) motherboard
512 + 256mb ddr 400 Zion ram
80GB SATA hdd
XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb ddr3 onboard(driver ver 6.6)
350W smps

well whenevr i play games like far cry or half life 2 or POP sands of time my system shuts down after 30 mins of game play.....tho the graphics comes fluid n all.....i dont hav anyprob in playin doom3 it runs ok for hours

well this prob seems to b occuring with all xfx 6600gt...... i read some foreign forums....but cudnt find any definitive solution.....

somebody plz help!!!

:? thanx...

delhibhai1000

Journeyman
its a certified problem with AGP version of the XFX 6600GTs, but urs is a PCI-e Version. Most prob'ly its the PSU at fault, which one is it? I guess Ibox??
Also, since its a S939Mobo & since this MSI Mobo is a little finicky, u shud run Dual Channel RAM on it...

G

gxsaurav

It's the PSU for sure, the motherboard is fine , get a proper PSU with independent rails, like the powersafe

rohanbee

Padawan
350watts.............i have that and still i feel it is less.....
The 6600gt needs at least a 400watt (450watts to be really safe!!!) . On the nvidia forum they suggest a branded true power supply (Antec, Thermaltake etc 400w or in case of any other generic brand then a 450w at least with 20amps on 12v line)

I have discussed this with some of my friends abroad. Make the change and things should work without a hitch.

OP
xpabhi

xpabhi

Broken In
hey pals.........i am not much into smps s i only kno a bit abt gfx cards....thats it....... so am jst askin u ppl.....how do u xplain the fact tht doom3(hugely gfx intensive) harry potter POA(not so much), halo run smoothly for hrs.......and wt abt the fact tht the hitch occurs perfectly on about 30 mins after i enter into the game :p

i dloaded a modified driver ver 76.50 thought it wud help...but same prob....so guess its wt u ppl r sayin........

thanx once again :)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
u guys are really getting things wrong ... if u see the cards manual .. u'll see that a minimum of 300W psu is required .. i dont face such problem ...i'm currently using a Antec 300W psu !!!!!

Anyway ... problem in specific games could be due to drivers .... try some newer ones ... also get the latest mobo drivers + patches for the games ....

OP
xpabhi

xpabhi

Broken In
thanx dvm......i think i'll do tht

tho th 76.50 driver didnt help maybe pathes'll help.....

thanx :)

krishnathelord

In the zone
deathvirus_me said:
u guys are really getting things wrong ... if u see the cards manual .. u'll see that a minimum of 300W psu is required .. i dont face such problem ...i'm currently using a Antec 300W psu !!!!!

Anyway ... problem in specific games could be due to drivers .... try some newer ones ... also get the latest mobo drivers + patches for the games ....

i think u got it wrong the minimum psu said is 400w

ur using 300w antec which will give u 300w
but most for thepeople using 300w smps dont use antec instead they use local frontec or techcom

in most probability the problem is with ur psu

OP
xpabhi

xpabhi

Broken In
Hello evrybody

i think the PCI-E card doesnt hav a molex.......

i think i'm sure abt it.....

the thing tht i find most intriguin is tht the games always crash after 30 mins....!!! anybody got a plausible explanation for tht?

as i told u tht i was followin some other forums....changin the PSU didnt solve the probs for others!!

thanx anyways for the suggs!

godzi_85

In the zone
hmmm dude chk your event viewer man...
hmmm i had this prob.. b4... changed the psu and it worked fine..
also change your drivers.. downgrade and chk what happens.
hmm if it happens only for selected games.. then try and patch the games..

OP
xpabhi

xpabhi

Broken In
ya think i'll go for a psu......wil let u guyz kno....

but godzi wts the EVENT VIEWER...i aint sure wt it is!!
and it wud b help if u suggest the driver version.......besides dloadin the 20mb files r a pain in the @$$. :p

thanx

godzi_85

In the zone
dude get hold of the digit cds man.. and install the drivers from em... ie if you can get another psu to chk...
also chk the event vierwer through --
control panel --> administrative tools --> event viewer -->system...
chk for any errors generated at the time of the restart... also what other processes were going on at that time..
and post it here.
then the techies here will be able to help ya better.

supersaiyan

In the zone
check the psu. if changing the psu doesn't solve the problem then check for any unusual temparature rises. i think it is temparature prob because the comp shutdowns after 30 mins everytime. i wanna ask u that when u restart ur pc after the shutdown does it work perfectly again for 30 mins. if it does then there is no heat problem but most probably its the psu. buy an antec 400w psu. also r u overclocking because it uses more electricity

kukasa

Broken In
how about two smps

rohanbee said:
350watts.............i have that and still i feel it is less.....
The 6600gt needs at least a 400watt (450watts to be really safe!!!) . On the nvidia forum they suggest a branded true power supply (Antec, Thermaltake etc 400w or in case of any other generic brand then a 450w at least with 20amps on 12v line)

I have discussed this with some of my friends abroad. Make the change and things should work without a hitch.

Hey pal
Instead of getting a costly smps of over 400 watts, i was thinking if I could just get another cheaper smps for the card only? Dont worry about PSU, as I generally keep it open on one side.

OP
xpabhi

xpabhi

Broken In
i think i'll get a cheap 500W PSU....it'll surely give above 400 W :p

thanx ppl

will let u kno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom