6600 GT : Videos Dont Play + COnnecting 2 PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Hi everybody,
Finally I got my 6600 GT (BIG), evrything is running fine except videos :cry: . My comp just freezes and then restarts whenever I try to play a video file using any app. After restart a dialog box appears saying system has recovered from a serious error :evil: I'm using 81.85 driver, earlier used 76. smthng which came with the card CD. I have DX9.c installed. I think its a driver conflict with DX9. I searched the internet and found many ppl experiencing this problem , some were having nforce boards but no one had the right permanent soln. And yes I used Driver Cleaner to remove the driver ( Plz anyone post the right way to remove drivers using driver cleaner, I didnt found it user friendly, I mean what all things are to be added and what is to be done with the driver.cab).

When I reduce the hardware acceleration (Display properties->settings->Advaned->troubleshooting) 3 points to the left i.e. at "Disable all Direct 3D and Direct Draw accelerations" the vidoes play fine.

I also ran the DxDiag tool and all video tests were successful.

I have a dual boot system with Win 98 on first partition. I have installed latest driver for 98 and vidoes play fine. But in Xp it just hangs.
Someone on a website said that 71.89 drivers do not have this problem. Will try it and post.

My system config:

WinXp SP2
AntiVir PE
Zone Alarm 5.5.062.011
P4 2.8 GHz HT (Northwood)
Asrock P4i65GV,
128x2 MB DDR 400 (Hynix)
BenQ 16x DVD ROM
Samsund CD RW
WD 80 GB Hdd
Floppy Drive
Intex 300 W
LG studioworks 700 E

HELP ! HELP! HELP! :cry: :cry: :cry:

G

gxsaurav

here's what U do

1) Download driver cleaner Pro, 81.87 beta drivers & PureVideo decoders

2) Uninstall the existing drivers, & reboot in safe mode, now clean the leftover driver files, with driver cleaner, & delete the driver.cab file & sp2.cab file, U will never need it once all the drivers are properly installed after Windows installation

3) Remove all those drivers which U don't need, like ATI, Creative, etc just to save some HD space

4) Now U will have a fresh system with no overclocked gfx card, install the beta 81.87 drivers, & reboot,

5) Install Purevideo decoders & configure accordingly, I can't tell U how to configure them as I have a FX series card

6) Go to services.msc & disable the NVIDIA Driver service, set it to disable, also if U don't need nview, uninstall it

check to see if U can play video with non-Directshow based media players (Quicktime, any version), as most of the media players like WMP10, or Real Player or BSPlayer all use the same DirectShow Engine

if this failes, try using the drivers which came with your gfx card, I assume they are Forceware 75 series drivers, check if U get problem with those or not

Maybe you should try older drivers. The one that came on a CD with the card. Or, download 77.77 which worked fine for me (before I ditched nVidia for ATi :lol:)

Keith

OP
KHUBBU

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Yes older driver has no problem, 71.89 is working fine, all video files are being played. :D

So why does nvidia call 81.85 as updated driver and all the tech magz say keep ur drivers updated to get max performance :?

@ GX Saurav
So shud i try ur advice or is it too risky. Also purevideo decoder is available for 30 days trial only.

G

gxsaurav

just try with purevideo decoders ones, it might work, besides, it is always advisable to use Purevideo with Geforce 6 series gfx cards

this is a bug in the drivers, but it doesn't affect everyone, so I can safely say that it's unique to your case only,maybe some codec isn't working or something like that

Also try using the 81.87 drivers

KHUBBU said:
Yes older driver has no problem, 71.89 is working fine, all video files are being played. :D

So why does nvidia call 81.85 as updated driver and all the tech magz say keep ur drivers updated to get max performance :?

@ GX Saurav
So shud i try ur advice or is it too risky. Also purevideo decoder is available for 30 days trial only.

Remember, the latest is not always the best. Always read the release notes that come with the new drivers. See if there are any improvements or bug fixes mentioned w.r.t. your card. Only then you should decide on updating. Guru3D forums are a great place to find out about newer drivers.

Keith

satanlives

Journeyman
@khubbu did u try gauravs solution? did it work?
im asking cause im hvin the same freakin problem with my card......

G

gxsaurav

satanlives said:
@khubbu did u try gauravs solution? did it work?
im asking cause im hvin the same freakin problem with my card......

are mere bhai, it's Saurav not gaurav, just call me GX, it's short & simple

I remember, a few months ago I installed the 72.72 drivers or something like that, after which my TV Tuner stopped working, I had to reinstall windows & in just 3 days, 72.79 came, which worked fine

keith is right, better check the release notes, if it doesn't fix anything for your card then don't go for it

AcceleratorX

Youngling
NVIDIA's latest drivers have been a mess. I really recommend you stick to the 77.72 or 77.76 drivers, the ForceWare 81.85 is evil. :p:D

Videos are 100% screwed up on my GeForce FX 5900 with ForceWare 81.85.....

G

gxsaurav

strange, I m using 81.85 whql with FX 5900XT & it is working fine

OP
KHUBBU

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Na i havnt tried GX's soln , happy playing vidoes, all games are working fine. :)

@ satanlives
try 71.89, it worked for me maybe it 'll help you.

I think new drivers are mainly for Sli setups, not much use to us.

My second prob is that my TV Tuner is not getting installed, as soon as i plug it in and start the system, it doesnt boots, no beeps only cd drive is checked. I guess its power supply problem, when i remove the tuner card, everything is fine. I have connected just one hdd, a dvd rom drive , floppy drive and gfx card. My power supply is Intex 300 Watts.

I guess I will be the first one in Varanasi to get an Antec power supply.
has someone tried connecting 2 PSUs ? I have a spare one. Is it safe ?

OP
KHUBBU

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Wow, connected the two PSUs, everything is working fine, connected two optical drives to the second PSU, and the first PSU is catering to 1 hdd, gfx card, tv tuner card, floppy drive. Wow, if this setup goes on nicely, I dont have to buy a a high priced PSU !

I dont think it is going to give any problem once everything is nicely fixed in a proper way, unless and until I try to attach another hdd to the second PSU.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
gxsaurav said:
strange, I m using 81.85 whql with FX 5900XT & it is working fine

I am having a problem while playing Video CDs on Windows Media Player 10. The screen just goes greenish :eek:

Do you have this problem on your 5900XT/SE?

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
I used to have a problem with QT6 and my 5900XT

screen used to go green after sometime in Fullscreen mode, it doesn't happen with QT7

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
^ I'm guessing he inter-connected the ATX-ON sensing wire (pin 14 AFAIK) between the two PSU's. Once the motherboard sends out the ATX-on sense signal to the first PSU, the second PSU receives it as well and powers on.

OP
KHUBBU

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Ya I shorted pin No 14 & 15, basically followed the techtree article, also once asked Sun Mysore, he gave a link to a good article on modding PSUs.

hey Eddy, any advice on connecting the 2 PSUs will be highly appreciated, if u plz.

Out of topic (I think)
I installed Elite Warrior: Vietnnam Demo, its not running, error comes :
"SOG.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Same is the case with NFS undrgrnd ( I installed it today). Is this a driver problem, earlier NFS undrgnd used to run fine with my Intel Extreme 2 and even with SP2 installed.

Is there a patch or something to remove this error?

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
I'm guess you shorted pins 14 and 15 on the 2nd PSU only i.e. PSU-on sensing pin to the ground ? That jump-starts the PSU as soon as your main AC supply is on.

I was talking about interconnecting pin 14 from the 2nd PSU to pin 14 of the 1st PSU, and pin 15 from the 2nd PSU to pin 15 of the 1st PSU. I'm not quite exactly sure about this, but this should trigger the PSU only when the 1st PSU receives the power-on signal from the motherboard, i.e. when you press the power button on your cabby. Apparently you need to interconnect pins 7 and 8 on the 2nd PSU alone - pin 8 is the Power-OK pin, pin 7 is Ground - so this keeps the PSU running.

Though I agree, you should ask Sunny aka SunMysore more about all this, since I haven't experimented on all this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom