64 bit or 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitDonz

Broken In
Hai Friends, I just installed Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition on my system for a trial run, along with Windows XP SP3 and Vista Home Premium, mine is a 32-bit System, XP and Vista Says so.., but Windows Server 2008 says I have a 64 - bit OS i.e.., When I rightclick on Computer and choose properties it says I have 64 bit os, but when I right click on desktop and choose settings it says I have 32-bit.. Why is this happening?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
When you right-click on the desktop and select settings, the 32-bit being shown is the color depth in use by the display adapter!! You probably have 32-bit editions of XP & Vista whereas the Server 2008 edition might be a 64-bit one!

OP
DigitDonz

DigitDonz

Broken In
is that means I can even install 64 bit Vista and XP on my System, I have heard that 64 bit OS needs special hardware and is costly..,

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^

What is you processor ??

To install any 64 bit OS you are in need to have a processor supporting x64 architecture, processors having features like AMD 64 (AMD) / EM64T (Intel) would allow you to install any x64 OSes (Vista / XP / Ubuntu / Fedora / Solaris) :)

OP
DigitDonz

DigitDonz

Broken In
Mine is Intel C2D E4500 2.20 Ghz, I think mine won't support 64 bit OS.., But why do Windows Server 2008 says mine is 64 bit OS?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Every single Intel Core 2 processor comes with EM64T hence yes you can run x64 OS under your processor :)

and I was wrong seems there is one single Core 2 processor, the E4700 2.6 GHz which doesn't come with EM64T... Strange very strange as matter of fact it would cost more for Intel to remove the function :(

Hey wait a minute...

I found a Typos... :D

Intel E4700 does come with EM64T :D where as Core 2 Duo main chart page shows it doesnt :lol:

*www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/core2duo.htm

where as the individual page for E4700 do include EM64T with it :D

*processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLALT <= E4700

:lol:

Last edited:
OP
DigitDonz

DigitDonz

Broken In
Tnx for the link, it seems my processor supports 64-bit OS, so can I go with XP 64 bit edition too, One more doubt If anyone want to go with 64-bit OS, Does he needs only 64-Bit supported Processor..

genxguy

Broken In
One more doubt If anyone want to go with 64-bit OS, Does he needs only 64-Bit supported Processor..

Yes, you need compatible processor to run run 64bit OS, older processor ( like plain P4) doesn't support 64-bit OS :eek:

I've a different doubt though...

Is there any particular advantage of running 64-bit OS part from that fact that it can support more than 4GB RAM :confused: and more important will I be able to use same applications on 64 bit OS as I did on 32bit system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom