64 bit laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipun_jain

Right off the assembly line
Hello all.
I want to buy a laptop for around 40k to 50k.
I am thinking of going for a 64 bit one. Can anyone suggest what choices I have? I was really thinking to go for Acer Aspire 5002. Coz the local dealer told me that is the only AMD 64 bit laptop available here. Are the intel laptops available also EM64T like their desktop counterparts? If yes, should I go for Intel EM64T or AMD 64 bit turion?

The configuration should be atleast the follwing:

64 bit processor
256-512 RAM
40 Gb or more hdd
DVD writer

Please help me out before dad changes his mind...

Sourabh

Laptoping
Acer was one of the first few to implement laptops running on the Turion Processors. The Acer 5002 and the Acer ferrari 4000 are the only laptops which have 64 bit computing support that are currently available to the best of my knowledge in India. The Ferrari would be out of questions coz it costs about 96k. There are no counterparts from Intel in the Mobile Arena as of now. Penium M processors still rule the notebook market and are better than even the Turions.

Apart from the price and some features on offer by the Aspire 5002, there isnt much to talk about. You wont for sure be buying it for gaming since it has SisMirage 2 Graphics which is something from which no one should expect anything. A DL DVD Writer and Wi-fi support are the only pluses which would help you select the Aspire 5002. Go for it if you dont want a great battery life since it would near abt 2 hrs backup and wont be using it for gaming.

OP
N

nipun_jain

Are Intel M processors by any chance EM64T?? Just wanted to make sure before I go for acer 5002.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
you can go in for the Acer Travelmate 4150. Pentium M 1.6 ghz proccy+ 256 mb ddr2 ram+ 15" widescreen.. it has intel onboard graphics which wud be better than SiS.. also it has 6 hr battery life! now that's what i call a laptop!

OP
N

nipun_jain

Actually I am looking for a 64 bit laptop. Battery life is not a main concern. performance and 64 bit capability is. I am not a gamer. Just want good processing power and 64 bit compatibility.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
How important is 64-bit computing for you? I mean, do you really need it? I think you can easily get by without it. 32-bit is still good enough especially with the lack of 64-bit applications. I would recommend a Centrino-based notebook.

Intel still hasn't introduced any 64-bit processors for laptops. I believe their new Yonah core for Pentium M will be 64-bit.

OP
N

nipun_jain

Well, 64 bit computing may not be a rage now, but I believe it is going to replace 32 bit in near future. I am not the guy who tosses in 50 k for a new pc every year. I am buying a new computer after 4 years, and I intend to use the new one for a couple of years. Better invest in a future ready machine than an already obsolete one? What do you say?

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Who said 32-bit is obsolete? 32-bit is not going to become obsolete so soon mate. Especially with the dearth of applications for 64-bit systems. I believe that when you buy a new system in 2-3 years, 64-bit computing will have more applications and uses than it does right now. I recommended the Centrino because it is the best laptop platfrom available. But if you want 64-bit only, get an AMD based system.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
yeah... anyways if ur buying acer aspire 5002.. u wont be gaming much.. so why not buy a Pentium M based laptop with a much much higher battery life..

Check the Acer Travelmate 4150.. a killer price tag(39k) for a great laptop.. u'd find similar priced dells at 50k minimum..

OP
N

nipun_jain

Well, the laptop is gonna be like a desktop replacement. Battery life is not an issue. I am not into games but I want to run apps like photshop and dreamweaver. So I just want it to have good processing power, and 64 bit support for future readiness. Acer aspire 5002 looks good to me.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Well if you want 64bit support then go for the Aspire 5002. Be sure to get as much System Memory as you can. I have the Aspire 3002 which is same as the 5002 except for the fact that it has a sempron 2800+ processor. At the default 256MB RAM system would begin to crawl even while regular surfing and some programs runnin in background so be SURE to invest in the additional 512MB stick for another 5.5k Thats a bare minimum. Nothing much to say, get the laptop :)

merawalaid

Broken In
i hear Acer Aspire 5002 has a very low battery life (aprox 1.5 hours when watching movies)

Besides i heard some one saying that 64bit support is removed from sampron chips ,but Aspire 5002 is "Turion 64" , is it the same as "Sempron"?

well, how does the performance of these AMD 64 bit processors compare with Intel M chips running at 533mhz fsb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom