50GB of HDD Space Lost!!! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
Hullo Guys,

My friend recently bought a new PC and was installing Fedora Linux on his HDD which already had WinXP installed.
He freed up one partition in XP and used it to install Fedora. While installing Fedora it asked for partitioning options and he selected 'Use Existing Free Space'.
After tht only God knowswhat happened. Neither did the installation complete nor the HDD is showing 80GB.
It only reports 30GB; the remaining 50 GB has gone.
I tried the Seagate's own disk tools and even did 'Zero-filling' onthe whole HDD but to no avail.
After that I used Ranish Partition Manager, but eventhat didn't show the full space.
Still after that I reinstalled WinXP on the 30GB space and used PowerQuest Partition Magic...still of no use.
Well after that I tried installing Fedora again, but even its own Partition Manager doesn't show the remaining 50GB space.
The HDD is SATA one.
So plz guys...enlighten me on this...
Its really urgent!!!

eddie

El mooooo
This is a really weird problem. Anyways...
Which "Seagate's own disk tools" did you use? Looks like you used Seatools. The disk that is used to check/repair HDDs? What you need here is DiscWizard and not the SeaTools.
*www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

Download it from the above link and make a disk. Use it to install your HDD. Also, you didn't mention which motherboard you are using. It could be that your drive's DDO is corrupted (someone can correct me if SATA doesn't have it) and you will need to recreate it. Look at this link to know how to use DiscWizard to update it.
*www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dwse_maint.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom