3G iPhone 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilpai

Techans
Apple is expected to launch the 3G version of its iPhone, the iPhone 2.0 tomorrow (9th June)

And while the new iPhone is expected to be available almost immediately in the US, I suspect that it might be available in India also very soon. While Vodafone & Airtel have announced that the iPhone would be launched before the year end, I won't be surprised if it is made available in India in June itself.

And While the first iPhone was a disaster is many ways, lets hope that iPhone 2.0 is better.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I was just laughing. That’s hardly defending. The iPhone doesn’t really need any defending from comments like that one.

If it has been such a “disaster”, you wouldn’t have been awaiting the second version quite so eagerly.

Pathik

Google Bot
Like it or not, The iPhone was a super hit despite some really crappy mistakes. If they manage to add everything in it this time, they ll blow away all competition.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Like it or not, The iPhone was a super hit despite some really crappy mistakes.
I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, it had some major exclusions that might’ve killed the phone before it got a chance.

But it did spectacularly well despite them. What does that teach you? That Steve Jobs is a genius and knows what sells.

That was the first version of the device. The first iPod had 5GB of space, was as thick as a deck of cards, had poor battery life and a monochromatic screen. Look at where it is today.

You can’t do it all at once. It’s a gradual, evolutionary process. Even at a 1.0 release, the iPhone went beyond what any phone had been capable of thus far. Sure, it didn’t have all the features they did, but they will all come in due time.

It doesn’t do video recording, GPS, 3G, Bluetooth, etc.. These things can be added in a subsequent release. But what it does get right in one attempt—the user interface—is something other phone companies have been struggling to perfect for the past few decades and they’re nowhere near the iPhone. I think their problems are far more significant and difficult to fix than Apple’s.

Give credit where it is due: the iPhone is a smash hit, and deservedly so. It doesn’t do some things but what it does, it does like nothing has ever been able to before. That’s gotta count for something.

If they manage to add everything in it this time, they ll blow away all competition.
And how do you propose they’ll sell the next version? Why do you think Nokia doesn’t add all features into one super-phone and price it reasonably? Because it doesn’t make any sense from a business perspective and no one knows that better than Steve Jobs.

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
If it has been such a “disaster”, you wouldn’t have been awaiting the second version quite so eagerly.

I am awaiting the 2nd version so eagerly because I am hoping that Apple does not repeat the mistakes it did in its initial version.

If those mistakes are taken care of in the 2nd version, it will be the best phone out there.

You can’t do it all at once. It’s a gradual, evolutionary process. Even at a 1.0 release, the iPhone went beyond what any phone had been capable of thus far. Sure, it didn’t have all the features they did, but they will all come in due time.

It doesn’t do video recording, GPS, 3G, Bluetooth, etc.. These things can be added in a subsequent release. But what it does get right in one attempt—the user interface—is something other phone companies have been struggling to perfect for the past few decades and they’re nowhere near the iPhone. I think their problems are far more significant and difficult to fix than Apple’s.

And how do you propose they’ll sell the next version? Why do you think Nokia doesn’t add all features into one super-phone and price it reasonably? Because it doesn’t make any sense from a business perspective and no one knows that better than Steve Jobs.

I agree to what u r saying from Apple's business perspective. But I am not an Apple shareholder. As an end-user the first version of the iPhone was not good enough and thats what matters to me.

Last edited:
I am awaiting the 2nd version so eagerly because I am hoping that Apple does not repeat the mistakes it did in its initial version.

If those mistakes are taken care of in the 2nd version, it will be the best phone out there.

I agree to what u r saying from Apple's business perspective. But I am not an Apple shareholder. As an end-user the first version of the iPhone was not good enough and thats what matters to me.
the main problem with apple is its approach.
Good UI != Features

Take their leopard os for example. Pretty looking design and dock but no Office Suite :lol:

N95 8GB, N97, iPhone and other phones in similar price range also compete against other gadgets as a whole in the same price band. So it needs to be jam packed with features to sell more.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
As an end-user the first version of the iPhone was not good enough and thats what matters to me.
That I agree with. By all means, wait for the second version then.

What I disagree with is your calling the first version a “disaster in many ways”. That’s simply not true. I’m using it and, even with it’s drawbacks, it’s the best phone out there by a wide margin.

The number of features has never held much importance for me. It’s all about the quality of said features. :)

Take their leopard os for example. Pretty looking design and dock but no Office Suite :lol:
What the Hell are you talking about? There’s iWork ’08, Microsoft Office 2008 and those free, open source things too. What’s missing from the equation?

So it needs to be jam packed with features to sell more.
No, it doesn’t. By your own admission, it’s not “jam packed with features” right now and clearly, it’s selling like no other phone has ever managed to right now.

Last edited:
OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
That I agree with. By all means, wait for the second version then.

What I disagree with is your calling the first version a “disaster in many ways”. That’s simply not true. I’m using it and, even with it’s drawbacks, it’s the best phone out there by a wide margin.

The number of features has never held much importance for me. It’s all about the quality of said features. :)

The reason I termed it a disaster because it was a waste of a good phone. The iPhone's UI is simply the best & surfing the net on its safari browser is simply amazing. The same phone without those defects would have been just superb....which I am hoping the second version would be.

For me, its both...I need quantity as well as quality of features.... a tough customer to satisfy :))

dtox

The Techno Perv
does anyone have the entire specs of iphone 2.0? also how much is it gonna cost in india?? ne guesses?

from wat i hav read, its gonna cost $200.. thats like 8k.. i dont think it will be that cheap!!

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
does anyone have the entire specs of iphone 2.0? also how much is it gonna cost in india?? ne guesses?

from wat i hav read, its gonna cost $200.. thats like 8k.. i dont think it will be that cheap!!

Noone except Steve Jobs knows its features. :) The rumours only confirm that besides 3G it will have GPS. Everything else is uncertain.

The $200 cost is the subsidised cost by operators. It won't be available for that price in India.

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
Just out of curiosity, how long have you used the iPhone?

I have a friend in office who has an iPhone. I have done everything right from setting it up to showing him how its used. U can say I have used it more than he himself has used it :)
Its 6 months or more since I m seeing it daily.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, I can’t fault your judgement then. I hope the second one better suits your needs. :)

Though, I can tell you in advance, it is going to have no less emphasis on design and animations and it’s still going to lack some features that are commonplace on other phones. That’s just how Apple rolls. The iPod, for example, doesn’t have an FM radio to this day and never will.

What the Hell are you talking about? There’s iWork ’08, Microsoft Office 2008 and those free, open source things too. What’s missing from the equation?
I told bundled by default.
If you install Leopard, you need to install an app manually later.:|
No, it doesn’t. By your own admission, it’s not “jam packed with features” right now and clearly, it’s selling like no other phone has ever managed to right now.
It would sell more if it was jam packed with features:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom