Which PC should one go in for ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
I am thinking of purchasing a new PC soon.But the doubt in my mind is whether i shouldgo in for a 64 bit or 32 bit.

Please help me .

I will generally use it for programming but there are other family members who use it for ordinary purposes also ( I mean simple work).

Thanks

zegulas

Traceur
I have just bought a 64bit system. It runs very fast & is really great. I would reccommend the same for you! coz 32 bit sys r going to be vanished soon as 64bit softwares appear. And it wont take to long. :wink: 8)

expertno.1

Technomancer
What people don't realise is that when a 64-bit processor is running 64-bit software anyway it will fell as slow as a 32-bit processor running 32-bit software, because the 64-bit software is that much more complex !!!!!

It won't be any faster at all. The only reason why Athlon 64's feel faster is because of the hypertransport, integrated memory controller (no FSB) and increased clock speed and cache.

When Athlon 64 CPUs are running 64-bit software they will actually feel as slow as or slower than a modern day computer running 32-bit software, because the CPU will be used up more, or more "fulfilled" you could say, because it is being used to its full potential, so it will seem slower. When a 64-bit CPU is runing 32-bit software it will seem very fast. Not so in 64-bit.

Just like the 286 and 386 processors. The 286 was 16-bit could only run DOS but when the 386 came out it enabled 32-bit and therefore "multimedia" as we know it today. But it still felt "slow" to use. 64-bit does NOT mean faster, just more flexible.

ashisharya

In the zone
64-bit is my choice. ur computer will be fast because u use 32-bit application and when ur comp get 64-bit processer it will be very fast.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Remember 64 bit softwares (inc. OS ; win xp 64-bit) wont run on your current 32-bit hardware. U need to a get a 64 -bit precessor as well.
Even we linux has 64- bit OS (fedora core and unbuntu).

But remember , we can run 32-bit applications as well. But there will be issues. (my system even dont dont run 16-bit applications).
1. Apps that install or require 32-bit kernel-mode drivers wont work in this 64-bit thing.
2. U can't run 16-bit application as well. windows installer is one of them.

And remember u use 32-bit apps the most at present and there are not enough 64-bit apps as such.

What will u do with a 64-bit processor (AMD athlon FX) ?
then it was released.
What will u do with a 64-bit processor and 64-bit OS?
Hmmm...the point is when u dont have proper application to run on these... but i may tell even 32-bit is not properly utilised.

Hmm... lets see what windows XP 64-bit walla will have in it..., i mean the other apps, leave the OS.

Even when u have a 64-bit walla processor , u will be using a 32-bit walla OS and apps. Whats the use of it now? U wont find any difference in the performance.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
The purpose of going in for a 64 bit is not the speed or performance but it is just so that the average life of a computer is 5-7 years depending on your usuage and when I invest in one now I dont want to repent at a later date when better OS 's come out which will not work on a 32 bit system if I purchase one now.

Thats why I am cornered in a situation of the devil on one side and the deep blue sea on the other side .I dont know which side to go .

Please do help.

If you all feel that it is better to wait a few months before purchasing is also fine with me.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The 32-or-64 bit question is one I face almost everyday while providing solutions for my clients. At present it's a complex matter with no single answer that's suitable for everyone. IMO it depends a lot on how soon you'll be able to upgrade or buy a new computer.

If you're going to have to keep the same machine without a major upgrade for at least a few years, go for a 64-bit system.

If you'll be able to upgrade in a couple of years, you can buy a decent 32-bit system now and still save a few thousand bucks. By the time you upgrade to 64-bit, prices will have dropped quite a lot and there will also be a much wider choice.

mamba

In the zone
64 bit would work fine 4 u now ( as gud as ne 32 bit 1 ) n also prepares u 4 the future ( irrespective of what u do with it ) . even if u think bout selling ur system 2-3yrs down the line , it will b able 2 run all the 64bit s/w which r in the pipeline , n hence get u better value .

y r u even thinking of 32bit , when u have a better option

crashuniverse

In the zone
64 bit has yet to see a long way. 32 bit is tried n trusted.
have u ever tried playing song + running TC compler on a 64 bit amd. due o some reasons, it hangs!

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
one more vote to 64 Bit... i suggest you take that & b secure for 3 years. If u consider the price differnce its almost the same man. Provided the fact that u you will be able to run 64 bit applications .. untill you use the 32 bit ones you can compare that yourself... the diff in processing.... morever the comparision done by digit has also put Athlon64 on top slot....as first preference.

rajas

In the zone
64-bit a definite yes.

Th days when the 32-bit address range is getting over. 64-bit takes its first strep. as of now there aren't many 64-bit app's available. U need 64-bit drivers.
Yes 64-bit OS runs 32-bit app's so there is no worry that we lose our favorites. as the foucs would be now on 64-bit all the major applications wud be developed for 64-bit.

q3_abhi

Youngling
Depends upon the use. If u wanna play games n run heavy applications, go for 64-bit. else 32-bit is recommended n best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom