Hi guys ,

Can u tell me : -
1) ARE INTEL PROCESSORS BETTER THAN AMD
2) IF NO WHY ISN'T AMD SO POPULAR
3) DOES AMD HAVE OVERHEATING PROBLEM , IF STAYED ON FOR MUCH TIME

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
My $0.02:

1. No, they lag behind the AMD64s as of now.
2. Actually, they ARE quite popular. Ask any high-performance enthusiast or an avid gamer and they will laugh if you ask them if the Intel Prescotts are better than the AMD64s.
3. Actually, AMDs have stabilised as of now. They USED to have a problem. Actually, its Intel's Prescotts that have an overheating problem. :D

Also, we've already had such threads and have had enough of these discussions for a lifetime and beyond, so please search before you post.

daj123

Journeyman
enoomai, my $0.02. Intel processors always were and have been more "stable" than AMD processors. I remember Tom's Hardware guide testing processors for overheating problems. They removed the Heat Sink and fan off the processor while the system was removing. Their results? All Intel processors survived. They throttled like hell but didnt burn out or hang the system while all of the AMDs "blew up" essential destroying themselves and the motherboard :lol:

Well that was about a year ago and AMD has come a long way in "solving" this problem but AMDs still have a heating problem while Intels dont. Even today when you simulate a heatsink + fan failure you're sure to loose your processor AND motherboard incase of an AMD but thats NOT the case with Intel.

And yes, Intel prescott has heating problem but it works great with intel's original heatsink and cooling fan. Like any other Intel it does throttle when the heatsink and fan fails but it doesnt destroy the CPU and certainly NOT the motherboard. You wouldnt want to spend Rs.10-15K on CPU + Mobo just to find that you lost your entire money because your fan/heatsink failed.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yup, you're right! I shouldn't have said 'overheating problem.' :D Yeah, I know that part about Intel's rock solid stability, which is even more so when used in conjunction with the original Intel mobos. So, while the Prescott temperatures now soar sky-high, its still less vulnerable to thermal damage than AMDs. But I personally, being an avid gamer and a performance enthusiast, would be switching over to AMD64s in another month or so, simply because of their unbeatable performance compared to the Intels. But Intels are still good at the traditional computing tasks such as video encoding, etc. or high-end games at medium resolutions. Its only when we kick up the detail, that the difference shows up. Thanks for correcting me. :D You've got a very valid point!

indro

In the zone
2800+ is a good value for money , if you enable the cool and quite feature , it will run cooler ,

S939 is recommended , but value of money segment is the s754 's .

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
I have AMD 64 bit 2800+
I have enabled Cool & Quite Option. Its good, does not heat up!

But I have added 2 extra coolent fans to my cabinate. Don't want to take risks!

goobimama

 Macboy
In my experience, Intel's have been much more reliable and problem free. And if combined with an Intel Original MoBo, you don't have to touch the system for years.....The insides of my system were so dusty when I performed a clean up, but the system runs magically.

AMD on the other hand is a good performance CPU, very fast and all, but it screws up in the end. (all this, in my experience). I've had so many problems with the two AMD systems, my friend has had problems with his AMD system. From now on, it is Intel or the highway...

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Well here are your ANSWERS =>
1. Hell NO (AMD ROCKZZZZZ)
2. Who says that AMD isent POPULAR !!! It dam shure is !!!
3. Hell NO again, in fact its Intel's Prescott Processors that has some overheating problem !!!

ujjwal

Padawan
Hmm, AMD never had too many heating problems I think. My friend owns an old AMD K6-2, its been running fine for 7 years now, and it beats my pricey celeron :D

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@ujjwal: i dont think the old AMDs had any issues...it is the Athlon and 64bit processors that have some minor issues... :wink:

vshah

Broken In
1. Depends on the use. Intel has hyperthreading which makes a noticeable difference when multitasking. A64s have higher FPU performance, so they slam the prescotts in gaming.

2. AMDs are currently the processor of choice for a high end PC. Intel's last stranglehold, media encoding, is not basically a tie.

3. The stories of athlons catching on fire are 2-3 years old. If you remove the heatsink from a a64, nothing will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom