3 more WinXP editions 2b released...!!! LongHorn != Xp Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcatian

Journeyman
Eiger,Mönch and Jungfrau

Funny fact: The codenames Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau are named as the mountains in Switzerland. The Product Manager of the Eiger project is from Switzerland ;-)
just like previous Microsoft Windows codenames, Whistler and Blackcomb, Eiger and Mönch are mountains. Whistler and Blackcomb are in British Columbia, Eiger and Mönch in Switzerland: *www.about.ch/cantons/bern/eiger_moench_jungfrau.html

Microsoft is developing 2 new "Server Centric Computing Clients" these clients are based on windows XP, so these will be "thin" clients for Terminal server purposes.

Microsoft wants to make Windows the platform of choice for server centric computing by offering new feature rich Windows SKUs for our enterprise and academic customers by providing management and servicing features parity with Windows XP Pro. These clients will offer innovative alternative to the traditional desktop for legacy PCs, low-end PCs, thin client devices and task workers.

Customers complain that Windows XP Pro too expensive for Structured Task Workers. Other request are:
- Need of one set of security, manageability & serviceability technologies across all clients
- Disparity of HW requires broad driver support
- Remote Bootable (network / diskless)
- 3rd Party Anti-Virus & Management support
- Easy Shell Lock DownSmart App Install BlockingCodename

"Eiger" is the thin-ist of the two and has less features then "Mönch" client. See tables below for details:
Windows XP "Eiger"
Minimum System Requirements
64MB RAM (128MB Recommended)
Pentium class processor
500 MB HD (1GB recommended)
800x600 graphics or higher
Network Interface Card
Hardware Support
Standard & ACPI Chipsets
ISA, PCI, AGP, USB, ATA/IDE, SCSI, AC’97, Smartcards
Support for most standard components in legacy PCs
Deployment Methods
Setup wizard
Unattended setup
Remote Installation Server (PXE/RIS)
Systems Management Server
Boot Methods
Hard Disk, Flash
PXE/RIS
User Feature Set
Remote desktop connection client
Shutdown, restart, standby
Accessibility features
Internet Explorer
Local & Network Printing
Basic Control Panel
Office Viewers
Servicing
Windows Update Services
Management
Standard Microsoft management technologies (WMI, MMC …)
Not supported
Windows image acquisition (WIA)
Telephony, VPN & Dial-up
Wireless networking (802.11)

Windows XP "Mönch"
Minimum System Requirements
64MB RAM (128MB Recommended)
Pentium class processor
500 MB HD (1GB recommended)
800x600 graphics or higher
Network Interface Card
Hardware Support
Standard & ACPI Chipsets
ISA, PCI, AGP, USB, ATA/IDE, SCSI, AC’97, Smartcards
Support for most standard components in legacy PCs
Deployment Methods
Setup wizard
Unattended setup
Remote Installation Server (PXE/RIS)
Boot Methods
Hard Disk, UFD, Flash
PXE/RIS
Multicast Remote Boot (over PGM)

User Feature Set
All Windows “Eiger” Features plus…
Windows Devices (PDA, Smartphone, …)
Windows image acquisition (WIA)
Wireless networking auth (802.1X)
VPN Support
Advanced IP Security
Servicing
Windows Update Services
Management
Standard Microsoft management technologies (WMI, MMC …)
Not supported
Telephony, Dial-up

...2b continued, L8r :!:
*scosoft.com/s/t/5820ecf7.gif

OP
C

Calcatian

Journeyman
Win 9X users rejoice !!!

Good days ahead for Win 9X users !!!
More on Windows XP "Eiger", the lean Windows client

Last Thursday I had an interview with Barry Goffe and Jon Murchinson who are part of the Windows division in Redmond and responsible for the product
The interview was by telephone so had some issues talking and typing the notes at the same time (I'm not a professional journalist). Below are the notes converted to an article.

Barry started to explain what the focus Eiger really is: The goal is providing a better solution for certain type of customers and their legacy pc's.
Companies that have 5-6 year old pcs that still run NT4 or win9x. These customers are not upgrading their hardware for financial or business-political reasons, but they are concerned about security, NT4 and win9x are not patched anymore, since Microsoft does not support these OS'es.
Manageability of these different OS'es can be hard or it not at all. Windows XP does not run on these systems. Microsoft heard these issues and began thinking what they could do. Eiger is the solution for this, the latest OS for legacy PC's. A Stripped down version of Windows XP that runs on these old PC's and can be managed by client management tools like SMS and SUS.

There are a few scenarios where the Eiger solution will fit in.

Scenario 1: In Education and government environments IT budgets are often low, no budget for replacing hardware.

Scenario2: Businesses that have information workers, working on new PC's that run Windows XP, but other divisions of the company (call centers, factory floors) have people working on old pc's mostly running 1 app (task-stations).

So to manage the new and old hardware and to keep them secure, Eiger is the answer. Patching an Eiger client works the same as patching a Windows XP pro client, the patch file itself is exactly the same.

After my original posting last months some incorrect speculations were made. Here is a list of what Eiger is NOT:

It’s not a thin client solution, it can be more seen as a lean client.
It’s not a new kind of RDP client. Eiger XP runs on the local CPU, rdp client can be added though.
It’s not a Windows XP "light" edition, where you can run your apps on. Eiger is restricted on what it runs.
It’s not Windows XP Starter Edition, this stripped down version of XP is intended for emerging countries.
It’s not intended for common business server based computer scenarios,
It’s not a general OS; a lot of components are removed.
So how is Eiger built? Stripped down XP pro? Or Added components to Windows PE?

No, Eiger is based on Windows XP Embedded, but since embedded is not licensed to end users but only to devices (in which Windows XPe is embedded) they have combined Windows XPe and Windows XP Pro, a hybrid product so to speak.
For instance, Windows XP embedded does not support Plug and Play (PnP) but Eiger does fully support Pnp.

Customers can build an Eiger image by adding components, just like building Windows XP embedded and Windows CE, but the choices are limited, at the time of this writing Eiger is designed to run six types of workloads:

RDP client base, minimal install
3rd party clients (Citrix client)
Internet Explorer (for web based apps)
Windows Media Player (like media based training (streaming media through Terminal services is poor in experience)
Terminal emulation (5250, telnet)
Management, Security client
These are the options, further the Eiger client is restricted, you cannot install something like Outlook on it.

Currently Eiger is being tested by a small selected group of customers and Microsoft is just starting to get feedback. Because the target audience of Eiger is very narrow there will be no public beta.
Barry couldn't say anything on the availability of the the lean XP client, because it is so early in development he didn't want to disclose any release date, licensing models, distribution or pricing

Currently the Eiger client is an image of about 350 MB. It will run on Pentium II machines with 65 MB ram, though 128 MB is recommended.
Eiger can boot of the Hard drive, CD-rom or a RIS server. Booting from a flash disk is still in development.
<more in the bink.nu blog>
-------------------------

:arrow: With that my friends, here is something on a diff. note-
It's been nearly I month I'm here... truly enjoyed it I must confess...
But a recent incident here has made me think over the issue whether I deserve to be here... I must confess I went a bit pro-active over there...
So if I ever have caused any serious trouble to anyone of you with my royal tantrums please accept my sincere apologies.
In the future, if you think I can be of help to anyone of you - hit the "PM" button & I'll know in my mailbox.
You all take care.
Sayonara :!:

The "King of Smiley Kingdom" has left the building.....

D

Deleted member 5901

hey good work dude!!!
no apollogies plz !!!
i had a bit of fun !!!
hope u did too !!!

cya take care !!!

Cheers !!!

OP
C

Calcatian

Journeyman
@ King_Niral:
It was an old post of mine. The whole incident really turned out 2 b funny :!: :!: If any1 follows d link, he will have an enjoyable reading experience :lol: I'll bet they don't hav another 1 like this in the whole forum. I must say that it only shows that d environment here is lively :!: I had some fun 2 :!:

*scosoft.com/s/t/4ffbccaf.gif

2 every1 else, just ignore the footnote of my 2nd post in this thread - coz we hav settled everything btween us :!: Of course u can go ahead & read d thread & laugh @ both of us @ our expence but we r cool now :!:

*scosoft.com/s/y/8a115dc.gif

Sourabh

Laptoping
So where are the sources for all the things posted in here

Plz read the forum rules next time and start providing sources for these info

OP
C

Calcatian

Journeyman
Hello Sourabh, Digitized Flooder, next time how about reading the contents of any post b4 commenting on it :?:

Read it with the same enthusiasm u had when u read the forum rules. Especially when the post is authored by His highness Calcatian, The King of SmileyLand :!:

My 2nd post (followup) clearly says:
<more in the bink.nu blog>

r u hippie now :?:

:lol:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Forum rules

Important: Members MUST provide a link to an article’s source, or provide details of the author (if taken from a book), for all content that is copyrighted.

Stop BSing around and better watch out for ur words!!

You supposedly claim to mention the source in ur second post, but the fact of the matter still remains that u are bound to post the link to the source in the first post itself

Also the thing what u are talkin abt bink.nu stuff, u need to give a full working link and not like a check the blog attitude.

So the only thing you have done is ripped the contents from the source and posted it here in the first post without the Source in it

So better check out the forum rules first....

OP
C

Calcatian

Journeyman
So the only thing you have done is ripped the contents from the source and posted it here in the first post without the Source in it

U c an emergency came up, & I had 2 stop there abruptly...
It's not a good excuse though, is it :?: Shud hav placed atleast some info bout d source there also...

NEway, better late than never..

Here r d sources 4:
Post 1 &
Post 2

:sad: Wont happen again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom