3 HDDs ! ! !

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
i have 2 hdds & am confused ... have seen in this forum many ppl have 3-4 hdds attached 2 their pc`s ... so u use diff hdd for storage & surfing net, how do u ppl maintain it ???

OP
ax3

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
& are they always connected or just during backup time ??? & is 450 W psu power enough ???

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Are the HDD's internal? If yes, then yes they are connected all the time. And 450W PSU is more than enough, it can handle another couple of HDD easily.

How peoples partition HDD's that's absolutely upto them. As said above, some peoples use one HDD as OS Drive another as Storage (Partition it like Software, Movies, Games etc.). It's just an example. Partition it as per your need.

gameranand

Living to Play
& are they always connected or just during backup time ??? & is 450 W psu power enough ???

I am using 4 HDDs myself. 3 of them are 2TB and one is 500GB. I like to keep them connected because I access their data every now and then but its really your choice whether you want to keep them attached or not. As for PSU, do mention the Model no. and Company of PSU, HDDs consumes very less power so it should not be much of a concern. :)

OP
ax3

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
need 2 carry my new hdd @ frds place ... whot safety measures should i take ??? dont want 2 create bad sectors by rough/wrong handling it ... plz advice

kartikoli

Busy!!
pack them well or put them on your briefcase with cloths

personally i use 5*2tb internal HD and they are always connected (my PC is onn almost 20hrs a day)

gameranand

Living to Play
pack them well or put them on your briefcase with cloths

personally i use 5*2tb internal HD and they are always connected (my PC is onn almost 20hrs a day)

Holy Hell what do you have in those HDDs.

at topic : Just make sure they don't get too many bumps and all and no physical damage or scratches and you are good to go. :)

kartikoli

Busy!!
Holy Hell what do you have in those HDDs.

at topic : Just make sure they don't get too many bumps and all and no physical damage or scratches and you are good to go. :)

actually i dont need that much HD but this is a transition perod where i am purchasing new HD and will sell old ons

going to buy 1tb blue or black and will kee 2*2tb HD total 5tb and will sell 2*2tb HD (old in warranty)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I have 4 HDD's ,out of which one (SEAGATE 250GB)is dedicated to Win 7 PRO OS.
I made several partitions on the other 3 HDD's,out of which 1 has back-up for windows(SYSTEM IMAGE BACK-UP).
3 other ntfs partitions for storing,videos,music,downloaded tools + apps of Windows.
Then I have a swap partition and 5 partitions each of 128GB as ext4 to hold various Linux OS distros.
Mine is much lower in capacity than friends @gameranand & @kartikoli.

I have 1 250GB HDD--->SEAGATE
" " 1 500GB HDD---> SEAGATE
" " 1 500GB HDD--->SEAGATE
" " 1 1TB HDD----> WESTERN DIGITAL(Caviar Blue)

Total System capacity : 2.25 TB

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
currently I'm living only with a 320GB HDD and even that's from some laptop but then again hey, I can manage storage space pretty well I guess ;) :D

Hrishi

currently I'm living only with a 320GB HDD and even that's from some laptop but then again hey, I can manage storage space pretty well I guess ;) :D

Didn't get it. You are using a scavenged 2.5" HDD in a PC ? Or is it external 2.5" connected via pata/sata usb bridge ?
-------------------------------------------------

OP
ax3

ax3

Cool as a CUCUMBAR ! ! !
thanx 4 advice ... will take care while carriny it this weekend ... @kg11sgbg ... sum1 on this forum also said long back that if too many partitions on hdd, you either lose some space & life also ... so i just created 2 partitions only ...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if that's a myth or fact but logically that should not create any issue at-all - I've to partition a 40 GB HDD into 4 partitions when I was using win 98SE and win xp in dual boot mode .. tried Fedora Linux 3 / Red Hat 9 on the same HDD as well but all of these did not degraded it's lifetime a bit.

gameranand

Living to Play
thanx 4 advice ... will take care while carriny it this weekend ... @kg11sgbg ... sum1 on this forum also said long back that if too many partitions on hdd, you either lose some space & life also ... so i just created 2 partitions only ...

You can create as many partitions you want and it doesn't change a thing. :)

Top Bottom