3.85 GB in one CD!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippi

Broken In
Hi guys
My friend just gave me this cd of windows xp having 8 different versions in one cd (It is a pirated version but that is not important .....Read on). 8 versions means like home .pro,pocketpc,enterprise and so on. Now when i right clicked on cd drive and went to propeties it showed 695Mb which is ok for a cd.
Now i selected all items from explorer pane and then i right clicked on them and went to propeties and guess what .......the size explorer showed was whoooooooooooooping 3.85GB.
Now i am just too confused.
1. I checked it whether it is cd or dvd but it is cd i am able to access it in my CD Writer
2.When i tried to copy all cd contents on HDD it demanded 3.85GB of space

How can one fit 3.85Gb of data into one cd
My guess is that explorer is showing virtual size given the fact that it is a cd of 8 different versions of Xp's
and about 90% of the files from all versions r same( :?: ) and 10% r different...dont know exact..correct me i am wrong.....and then someone (CD Creator) may have written some small program which is forcing the
explorer to display vitual sizes and is sharing 90% files which r common to all version.
But still i am not satisfied.
Does anyone has some idea on it?
Is any software can do it?
or is it a work of some proffesional progarmmer who may have worked with microsft on windows project?

Plz suggest some answer

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I have a similar cd. If u want it on the hdd, then u may be better off creating an iso image of it, which occupies only 700mb.

rajas

In the zone
It was once discussed in the forum.

If an XP cd is 680MB and you have 10 different XP but they differ only in 10 MB each,
and 590MB are the same thing for all XP versions then
590+(10+10+10...10)=690MB

the 590MB files are recorded only once and there are shortcuts pointing to the duplicates files(normally the i386 folder).

OP
H

hippi

Broken In
sagar_coolx, what kind of tutorial they have included in your cd i am not able to find it on my cd
also can anyone please explain how to create such disk using nero or similar softwares?

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
I also Encounterd a queer incident like this.
I borrowed my Frnds DeltaForce 1 CD. While attempting to Copy the CD I found out That the CD was of 4.3 GB space :?: . I didn't Hv DVD-ROM Them. Moreover The LG CD-ROM took forever to copy the files.... It Still Haunts me..

theraven

Technomancer
thor havent u asked this question before ??
as for the puzzle of gb's in cd's it has been cleared. .. by me myself on various occasions
plz search

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
@theraven.
No man. I didn't bother to ask this question earlier becoz this incident happened around 2003, as u can see I'm a member frm 2004 Mid , so long time has already gone by the time I was a registered user here.
Any way. I say this still haunts me, bcoz I cudn't figure it out.

theraven

Technomancer
well ive answered it ..check the link aadi gave .. i think it should be sufficient ..
if i can ill make one sticky too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom