2ms Vs 5 ms Monitor

daemon1

Journeyman
Are there any noticeable difference between a 2 ms Monitor and 5 ms monitor. I have a 5 ms Samsung 22" and I am looking to upgrade to higher one.

If I go with IPS they have max 5 ms at best and if I go with TN they have 2 ms. My need is gaming and movies so please suggest accordingly.

I am planning to go for either 23 or 24".

Darth Vader

In the zone
If you're a SUPERMAN, you should always consider the monitor with least response time .

But if you're like us, you may consider a 23" or 24" monitor that suits your budget. IPS is preferable for better colors.

What is your budget ?

OP
D

daemon1

Journeyman
If you're a SUPERMAN, you should always consider the monitor with least response time .

But if you're like us, you may consider a 23" or 24" monitor that suits your budget. IPS is preferable for better colors.

What is your budget ?

Not sure what do you mean with your SUPERMAN statement. Response time is the first thing people see when buying monitor for gaming.

I already gave my preference that its for gaming, can compromise on colors if required. I am looking in 20k range.

HBK007

Journeyman
Some TN panels are plain awful in color reproduction while IPS panels are generally awesome and you can see the difference between the two panels......
Also as [MENTION=136503]takemein[/MENTION] said, you will not see the difference between 2ms and 5ms unless you are SUPERMAN with super eyesight and stuff.

OP
D

daemon1

Journeyman
Some TN panels are plain awful in color reproduction while IPS panels are generally awesome and you can see the difference between the two panels......
Also as [MENTION=136503]takemein[/MENTION] said, you will not see the difference between 2ms and 5ms unless you are SUPERMAN with super eyesight and stuff.

Honestly, there is no harm in taking the best when its available rather then saying that I didn't notice the difference so I didn't took.

Logically and mathematically, the difference is huge and looking at some reviews on the net some people have noticed the ghosting even on 5 ms also. Since I have not seen a 2 ms monitor a first hand exp is always helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

5ms IPS is absolutely fine. Go with IPS.

Thanks, Currently this is on top of my list but still want to see some suggestions if some one has used a 2 ms monitor.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all do you really believe figures used in advertising because if you do then there is not much to say.for your information these so called response times are not some simple absolute measuring units like say a 2km road(even that can be misleading as a 2 km road full of pot holes is worse than a 5 km smooth road).if i apply logic & maths to explain response time methodology then i have to write a mini essay here.as for reviews rest assured that no monitor with "true 5 ms response" will present any ghosting issue.unless you are a pro gamer you shouldn't concern yourself with response time if you are getting a decent/recommended ips monitor.

ravi847

Journeyman
Your needs include watching movies too..So you must get an IPS panel ..and I don't think there's any IPS panel with response time as low as 2ms.
Besides many people here are using Dell S2240l for gaming and no one ever complained about ghosting

HBK007

Journeyman
first of all do you really believe figures used in advertising because if you do then there is not much to say.for your information these so called response times are not some simple absolute measuring units like say a 2km road(even that can be misleading as a 2 km road full of pot holes is worse than a 5 km smooth road).if i apply logic & maths to explain response time methodology then i have to write a mini essay here.as for reviews rest assured that no monitor with "true 5 ms response" will present any ghosting issue.unless you are a pro gamer you shouldn't concern yourself with response time if you are getting a decent/recommended ips monitor.
You just nailed the point that we have been trying to express for quite some time........
Honestly, there is no harm in taking the best when its available rather then saying that I didn't notice the difference so I didn't took.
Logically and mathematically, the difference is huge and looking at some reviews on the net some people have noticed the ghosting even on 5 ms also. Since I have not seen a 2 ms monitor a first hand exp is always helpful.
I don't think you got my meaning..... IN SIMPLE WORLD-IPS is way better for non-pro gamers and that's the truth because you will not be able to experience the display lag unless you are superhuman
Also check out a video about IPS panels by techquickie or LinusTechTips and see his videos. His channel was the first in the list of Google preffered tech channels. You will understand the importance of good color reproduction.

Last edited:

Remind1990

Broken In
BenQ just launched some really good gaming monitors 1ms GTG response, 144Hz yesterday afaik you should wait it out
Buy Online Benq 24inch Gaming LED Monitor (XL2411Z) in india this is pretty good !

Remind1990

Broken In
Yes! considering we really don't change our monitors as much as we upgrade our GFX card. I think 1ms, 120Hz - 140Hz is a really solid deal. I got my hands on this monitor at Delhi at the launch event I must say it really is good. I played Battlefied, Titanfall and really enjoyed the lagless display although I only tried it for an hour :p I really think you should consider the 24inch ones from BenQ plus TN = good response so its upto u.
And, keeping in mind IPS = Good Viewing Angles, moderate reponse time.
TN = Good response time, average viewing angles.

I suggested the monitor above because you wanted gaming monitors!

Last edited:
OP
D

daemon1

Journeyman
You just nailed the point that we have been trying to express for quite some time........

I don't think you got my meaning..... IN SIMPLE WORLD-IPS is way better for non-pro gamers and that's the truth because you will not be able to experience the display lag unless you are superhuman
Also check out a video about IPS panels by techquickie or LinusTechTips and see his videos. His channel was the first in the list of Google preffered tech channels. You will understand the importance of good color reproduction.

I understood your point but then there is no point in upgrade if there is no difference in quality or minor difference.

Yes! considering we really don't change our monitors as much as we upgrade our GFX card. I think 1ms, 120Hz - 140Hz is a really solid deal. I got my hands on this monitor at Delhi at the launch event I must say it really is good. I played Battlefied, Titanfall and really enjoyed the lagless display although I only tried it for an hour :p I really think you should consider the 24inch ones from BenQ plus TN = good response so its upto u.
And, keeping in mind IPS = Good Viewing Angles, moderate reponse time.
TN = Good response time, average viewing angles.

I suggested the monitor above because you wanted gaming monitors!

This is indeed awesome monitor but the price is on higher side :-?
That refresh rate with 1 ms is deadly combination. :shock:

Your needs include watching movies too..So you must get an IPS panel ..and I don't think there's any IPS panel with response time as low as 2ms.
Besides many people here are using Dell S2240l for gaming and no one ever complained about ghosting

Dell S2240l is a big no, why would I degrade myself to 7 ms from 5 ms.

HBK007

Journeyman
BenQ just launched some really good gaming monitors 1ms GTG response, 144Hz yesterday afaik you should wait it out
Buy Online Benq 24inch Gaming LED Monitor (XL2411Z) in india this is pretty good !
Is it the same/similar to this:-
[YOUTUBE]I6wIMaYjklE[/YOUTUBE]
If yes then it's a big +1 to that because it has really nice color reproduction and decent viewing angles...........

ravi847

Journeyman
Dell S2240l is a big no, why would I degrade myself to 7 ms from 5 ms.

I used that model to show you that even response times of 7ms doesn't matter in games!!! A lot of gamers here are using it.
your best bet is to get a 27 inch IPS panel monitor(would overshoot your budget a bit though) or go with a 24inch IPS one. Or there's one HP fi one of 25inch

OP
D

daemon1

Journeyman
I used that model to show you that even response times of 7ms doesn't matter in games!!! A lot of gamers here are using it.
your best bet is to get a 27 inch IPS panel monitor(would overshoot your budget a bit though) or go with a 24inch IPS one. Or there's one HP fi one of 25inch
Got your point, but thats of no use to me, my current monitor is also working so I see no positive in buying this.
I agree all other good ones are way above the budget I have planned. 27 inch is pretty big monitor for day to day use so not looking at that size.

I guess I have to go to TN with 2 ms only or I also see one LG IPS with 5 ms but need to check its review.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Why is response time so important for you??
Are you training your eyes for catching ninjas??

Stick to a decent IPS panel & u will be happier at the end.

OP
D

daemon1

Journeyman

Ha ha, why not..

BTW, This is decent monitor with latest PLS panel. Seems best fit to me: LED Monitor 23.6 Inch, Best LED Monitor, Price, Features, Reviews- Samsung India - TECH SPECS

sniperz1

Journeyman
Are there any noticeable difference between a 2 ms Monitor and 5 ms monitor. I have a 5 ms Samsung 22" and I am looking to upgrade to higher one.

If I go with IPS they have max 5 ms at best and if I go with TN they have 2 ms. My need is gaming and movies so please suggest accordingly.

I am planning to go for either 23 or 24".
I am also building a gaming rig and was searching for a good gaming monitor of 24"
The lesser response time doesn't matter much to be honest. Ghosting issues are not usually seen with any monitor with a response time of <10ms
If you really want a noticeable difference in aspects of gaming then I suggest you looking for a monitor with a better refresh rate.
Almost all IPS panels comes with standard 60hz.

For a better gaming I suggest
Benq XL2411Z or ASUS VG248QE, both have 1ms response time and upto 144hz refresh rate and thats what really matters

But if you are not hard core pro gamer and are accustomed to 60hz gaming and do not want to compromise on the picture quality
Then Dell U2412M is a good choice .

HBK007

Journeyman

+1 to that...
And a +1 to the Dell U2412M suggested by [MENTION=285855]sniperz1[/MENTION]

Top Bottom