256 RAM not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3PoweR

Broken In
I have 256 MB RAM with Windows XP adn Windows 98 and a P3. Even though no app is running when I try to run an app, I get the low memory message. HELP...... :(

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Although a larger amount of RAM is always desireable to make your computer run faster, 256MB is quite enough to be able to run most applications in WinXP/98. You may have too many background tasks running, a virus or some bad software installation/configuration.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well Just Check whether ur RAM Has been properply Celaned or not first......Fix it properly in the slot......Reduce the amount of start up programs Via Start-Run-Msconfig and Untick the unwanted items.....clear out the wallpaper.....In winodws XP THe Deafult theme Takes up a lot of Memory.....Reduce it by Clicking On Windows Default Theme in the Properties-Themes Menu.....also do a proper Virus scan and Increase the amount of Virtual Memory if possible as windows Do require some amount of ram for Swap file processing..... :D

saROMan

QA Juggler
well if u r getin the low Memory msg with a yellow Exclemation mark..than ur Virtual memory is low ..... right click on my computer...go to advanceed tab..Performence..click on settings....again in advanced click..change under Virtual memory..and set it to 1.5 times ur RAM ..for eg i too have a 256MB..so i set it to min : 200 max : 400 ...and preferabally ....make a new Partition of say 500 MB and set the page file there ....

ujjwal

Padawan
It is also possible that the drive to which windows swaps by default (C) has low memory, in that case switch the swapfile to another drive (saroman has explained it)

Also go to start>run>msconfig. In the startup tab, there should not be too many apps.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
chk for the pagefile that it is not disabled............if disabled then enable it .

asim13june

Broken In
Hey 4 U

well i think this would help u out, try any of these softwares,

*www.handyarchive.com/free/ram-usage/

these softwares closes unwanted application running in background and frees ram memory, there are many other options too in these softwares like deleting temp files...........................wel just checkem out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom