2 GB RAM to buy - should I wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
I would like to install some more RAM in my system as I do a lot of multitasking with photos and audio files continuously being edited. Right now I have 512 but i want to make it 2 GB or 1.5 GB. What would be the best (read economical) option. I wanted to get 2 one GB sticks but the total cost came up to 10000. That is a bit too much ain't it? I was looking for something in the range of 5000.

The dealer says that the prices are high now and that i should wait and i could get 2 gbs for 5k in a month or so. Is it true?

Also my system has a Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz .

Can I atleast buy a 1 GHz stick and use it with my 512 one? I am completely clueless in hardware so I am not sure how to check if my ram is DDR or DDR2 or whatever.

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
WRONG SECTION....MOVE TO H/w

The dealer says that the prices are high now and that i should wait and i could get 2 gbs for 5k in a month or so. Is it true?
=>>NO WAY.....in 5K u will get 1GB ram only

Which mobo u have???

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
oops sorry. I thought since this is not hardware 'troubleshooting' this is where i should post.

Anyway, here is my mobo spec
this is what i get from aida's chipset properties
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G/GL/GV
Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
The motherboard is shown as unknown

In sisoftware sandra
SiSoftware Sandra

Mainboard
Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
MPS Version : 1.40
Model : D915GLVG
Version : AAC96367-306

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
hey what the speed of ur existing ram..and which company???

See ur MOBO has

Four DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
Support for DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz DIMMs
Support for up to 4 GB of system memory

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
If u r planning to buy branded ram wit bill n warranty, 5k is a low amount. Though in 4-6months, price mite come down 2 dat level...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
now if u are on DDR plat form... then dot wait.. i feel that price will now only go up.. as what happend with SD when DDR came in to the market.. and if u are in DDR2 then, u can consider of waiting few more Weeks... :)

last day a 512DDR was priced in Kolkata 3250+TAX :( where DDR2 is cheaper than that...

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
saurav_cheeta said:
now if u are on DDR plat form... then dot wait.. i feel that price will now only go up.. as what happend with SD when DDR came in to the market.. and if u are in DDR2 then, u can consider of waiting few more Weeks... :)

last day a 512DDR was priced in Kolkata 3250+TAX :( where DDR2 is cheaper than that...
he is right man do not waste time

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
yeah, it is ddr. now which model ram can i use so that 1 gb can coexist with my existing ram. Could anyone please look at the attachment and help me figure it out?

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he has ZION....then go for ZIOn..but has he mentioned it anywhere???

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i dont see a manufacturer name anywhere. How can i find out. I have figured out that it is a 200 Mhz ddr.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
In MANUFACTURES column it should show the name....but if u can remove the chip and if any name on it ....then u will knw the name....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
have figured out that it is a 200 Mhz ddr.

its kind a 2x200 = 400Mhz... :) speed of the RAM is 400Mhz in what u see them here :p

with CPUz readings... its kind this,... for 266 DDR 2x133 for 333 DDR 2x166 :)

capri435

Broken In
well i have 2 gb of ram and work with most demanding applications max maya photoshop n adobe premier and i think 2 gb is a overkill
yeah i know its cool to have 2 gb ram but i have never seen more than 1 gb of ram being used even while working with huge files in max n maya.
i think 1.5 gb is more than enough however the downfall with such setup will be that u wont be able to ust the two 512 n the 1 gb modules in dual channel mode

so i guess if u dont work with heavy duty applications 1 gb is the sweet spot so add a 512 module only
by the way do u play games and what kind ???

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
oh, forget it guys. My boss told me to go to hell when i told him it would cost 10k.

His words were something to the effect (if you have read the bible) "god will provide the RAM"

I guess it was supposed to be a sick joke. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom