160gb harddisk on a p3 system...pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc801

Right off the assembly line
i wanted to know if i can install a 160gb normal ata(not sata or pata) harddisk on a p3 system which has intel d815eea motherboard. yes i have updated the bios to the latest(it was released in 2001), i also have intel application accelerator installed. i am yet to buy this harddisk, so please let me know if my system supports this large harddisk...... if it does'nt then which is the largest harddisk it supports?

magnet

Youngling
as far as i know...on p3 its not possible...i had 810...and my frnd said....there is some issue regarding addressing....at max it can handle 120...but i m not sure about it...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
you won't be having a sata connector i suppose and your system may be even slow to support this much content,however

120gb 7200rpm about 3200

OP
C

cc801

mine is 815 chipset.... i'm expecting some more replies to make sure i make the correct decision.

OP
C

cc801

what do you guys say about this one
"The BIOS and the South Bridge chip of your motherboard's chip set must work together to support Big Drives. Late-model Intel chip sets (including the 810, 815, 820, 830, 840, 845, 850, and 860 sets) can be Big Drives–compliant with Intel's Application Accelerator software (www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa). The free IAA utility for Windows 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP enables the chip set to support 137GB hard drives and larger"

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
cc801 said:
what do you guys say about this one
"The BIOS and the South Bridge chip of your motherboard's chip set must work together to support Big Drives. Late-model Intel chip sets (including the 810, 815, 820, 830, 840, 845, 850, and 860 sets) can be Big Drives–compliant with Intel's Application Accelerator software (www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa). The free IAA utility for Windows 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP enables the chip set to support 137GB hard drives and larger"

thats what i also fouind out on searchin at google...
i think u shud better stick with 120GB ...

*www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom