160 gb = 131069 mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i recently bought a 160 gb seagate harddisk( not SATA) . in the windows xp setup it shows me i have 131069 mb?...i know about the theory behind it that 1024 mb = 1 gb and hdd manufacturers use 1000mb =1 gb but is the difference so huge for 160 gb?

sumitava_b

In the zone
Its not a problem with multiplication. This is a problem with ur motherboard. It is not showing 30 GB. I also saw this problem in my friend's system. His vendor said that some motherboard are not fully compatible with hdd with greater space. He gave some patch (came in a floppy only). After that it recognised the full space. I dont remember the exact incident. U can inform ur vendor. He must be known about this problem.

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
the motherboard is pretty new.i ve just got a new computer with an AMD 64 2800 and an ASRock motherboard(K8Upgrade-VM800)

anyways i think i ve found the solution. i just have to try it out after installing xp. basically i need to install sp1 and tweak some registers. here are the links i found helpful if anyone's interested:

The motherboard FAQ's site: *www.asrock.com/support/FAQ/index_QA.asp?class=General-HDD

other sites:
*www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t8905.html
*groups.google.com/group/microsoft....e/msg/773bc75d08d70680?oe=utf-8&output=gplain
*www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37938

casual_gamer

In the zone
i had the same problem when i used 160gb harddisk with pentium3, 815 intel motherboard, it recognised only 131 mb in bios, so i am currently using only 120gb (4 partitions of 30gb).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom