128*2 or 256*1??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dittualex

Broken In
hi,
does it make any difference in 128*2 and 256*1 ram?
i heard tht if 2 pieces are used there are several tweaks
is it true????
if true how can we tweak it?????

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
yea if ur mobo hav dual channel support then u betta hav 2*128.in dual channel both the module is used equally not like earlier that one module is being used 95% and the other for bout 10%.and yea it does make a diff performance wise.i hope wat i wrote is correct.u didnt ask bout this but i'll like to tellu that is u r going for a nu ram then get atleast 256*2 as these 512 ram is minimum.
thanx

go4saket

In mu view, you should go for one single 256 MB RAM. I also had two 256 MB RAM modules before, but had to shift to a single 512 MB because of some compatibility problems. It's not always that you have a compatibility problem, but there can be one, and if you have it, all your money is gone. Another thing, a single chip costs less than two...

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
go4saket said:
In mu view, you should go for one single 256 MB RAM. I also had two 256 MB RAM modules before, but had to shift to a single 512 MB because of some compatibility problems. It's not always that you have a compatibility problem, but there can be one, and if you have it, all your money is gone. Another thing, a single chip costs less than two...

Yes. Compatibility problem is the major problem in this case....... I have faced this problem once...... If the two RAMs are not compatible with each other, in spite of being of same configuration, you are likely to face a Blue Stop Screen in XP......... and a BSOD in 98

ishaan

Padawan
plus if u wanna upgrade ur RAM later on, ur gonna hafta remove one of these n it'l b wasted..cuz u'll need an empty slot

if u get a 256*1, then later on u can add another 256 or a 512 or whatever in ur other slot

choudang

Padawan
i prefer n*2, if you have dual ch supported mobo. prev i used 128*2 but i changed to 256 single stick, where i didn't find any diff. but now i'm using dual ch and its have some diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom