Post your latest Purchase

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
I am open to suggestions on mouse pad :)
Pad1.jpg

I find this one extremely functional and not super expensive. I have QCK and a few razors, this one is the best IME. It is not avl nowm seems like they have a better one:
1676980273610.png

Rs. 499. The gel works well to avoid/delay fatigue build up.

bubusam13

Human
Kept purchase of keyboad on hold and got this. Once I have lost my entire photo collection from 2006 to 2017 due to drive failure. Thaught of not making that mistake again.
got it for Rs 8808 for 5TB in Flipkart. Wanted to get the red color but this one was costing Rs 500 cheaper. Though I didnt like the unboxing experience :( The box is old.

1677593622537.png

1677593654394.png

bubusam13

Human
There is a 3 years data recovery service included which closed the deal for me. Also in Seagate you can use the disk directly with a SATA cable internally if the housing is damaged. In WD, the SATA to Micro B USB converter circuit is soldiered to the drive which makes it difficult (if not impossible) to use the disk standalone.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
There is a 3 years data recovery service included which closed the deal for me. Also in Seagate you can use the disk directly with a SATA cable internally if the housing is damaged. In WD, the SATA to Micro B USB converter circuit is soldiered to the drive which makes it difficult (if not impossible) to use the disk standalone.
I would suggest have another backup device. Don't put all eggs in one basket. Data recovery isn't always 100% promised.

This is an interesting info, using as an internal drive part. I knew these were just 2.5" 5400rpm HDDs in most cases.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I wonder what harm it is in using paid cloud back up instead of spending money on drives on a regular bases.
How much is for cloud backup? High running cost is what keeping me away from cloud backup. Otherwise I trust cloud backup more than HDDs.

bubusam13

Human
I tried cloud backup. 0365, dropbox, even created my private Storage as a Service solution in Azure.
The drawbacks are:
1. Dependancy on internet. Not everywhere I go have fast internet
2. Difficulty to scroll through my files. It is not easier to get what I need, specially when you have a very large number of small sized files.
3. I need to get my picture locally when I want to edit them. I found it better to have two mirrored disks for redundancy, than one in cloud.
4. High running cost. 5TB what I got in this drive will cost a lot in cloud.
5. I dont trust cloud when it comes to comfendential files.

Aside, all my drives are working. Even one PATA drive :p Till date I encountered just one drive failure where i had my photo collections :(

Last edited:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I personally think we should keep data in different drives in case one goes faulty So we should use 2*4 tb drives instead of 1*8 tb.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
How much is for cloud backup? High running cost is what keeping me away from cloud backup. Otherwise I trust cloud backup more than HDDs.
I don't much about this, few random searches comes up with idrive being the best. I have 0 experience with any. Google seems expensive at Rs 650 a month for 2TB.

I wonder what harm it is in using paid cloud back up instead of spending money on drives on a regular bases.
Easy - high cost.

You can argue that Onedrive's 1TB in family plan at 1k per year is pretty good, but my problem with Onedrive is its sync capabilities. I can't select few folders on my PC to sync with cloud continuously, instead you are supposed to keep everything inside a Onedrive folder. That might have been fine but it sometimes causes the folder to have some issues with file overwrite & all.

Google drive on the other hand works flawlessly. But is expensive.

For reference, I used GDrive between 2017-19 & O365 between 2020-21. Now I just keep my files on desktop's HDD with ext HDD taking a daily backup of folders I selected (set it up using Windows Backup & Restore).

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Easy - high cost.

You can argue that Onedrive's 1TB in family plan at 1k per year is pretty good, but my problem with Onedrive is its sync capabilities. I can't select few folders on my PC to sync with cloud continuously, instead you are supposed to keep everything inside a Onedrive folder. That might have been fine but it sometimes causes the folder to have some issues with file overwrite & all.

For reference, I used GDrive between 2017-19 & O365 between 2020-21. Now I just keep my files on desktop's HDD with ext HDD taking a daily backup of folders I selected (set it up using Windows Backup & Restore).
Microsoft is not that refined like google. I used to save data on HDDs back in the day, all my hdds eventually died (last one few months ago) I guess data is more secure with external or even internal ssds as they are a lot more robust with no mechanical parts.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Easy - high cost.

So you are keeping your HDD connected to your PC or its connected to your modem and you are using some kind of FTP in same network?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Easy - high cost.

Did you try rclone? You can mount a folder in your system for it.

Top Bottom