Is it worth buying new vehicles or is it better to buy used?

srdigit16

In the zone
Today especially the 2 wheeler prices seem too high, even the base variants. Is it worth spending money on them or does it make more sense to buy used ones? What about cars?

There's always a risk involved in used market for condition of vehicle. But if you get a decent deal, why not.

Something like a new Activa is close to 1 lakh in Bengaluru now, which is ridiculous.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
There is always gamble with old vehicles.
But if you're getting for cheap enough and you inspected it Also its only few years old
(as you know total vehicle life is only 15 yrs as per Indian govt) Then its good else new is always An option.

Sent from my M2006C3LI using Tapatalk

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
You should check teambhp forum.
For used cars, Suzuki WagonR is most used as per experience.
And the 1st owner claims that these cars can run without servicing for 10+ years.

Relatives purchased WagonR for 1 lac, 4th or 5th owner, don't know. The car has been working great since last year, not serviced yet. And no problems with the car.

And when my parents purchased a 2nd hand scooter, from the next day we needed servicing. Scooter started showing its true colours.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I bought my first car from Spinny, I think their service is good. They deliver the car super quick and also have a assured buyback scheme where in you can sell it back to them quickly if you want.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Technically, You should focus on MS(Due to very easy genuine spare availability) or Toyota and Honda(Both have good Engines which are built to last. People easily complete 2Lakh+ KM. On them).

For 2 wheeler, avoid Activa. Instead get a new electric scooter like ather 450x.

Technically, You should focus on MS(Due to very easy genuine spare availability) or Toyota and Honda(Both have good Engines which are built to last. People easily complete 2Lakh+ KM. On them).

For 2 wheeler, avoid Activa. Instead get a new electric scooter like ather 450x.
An EV like Ather 450X is useless for most people. Many don't have a dedicated parking space where they can install charger. Ones like Hero Vida with removable batteries are the ones that can catch on in future.

Why avoid Activa, any reason? It has a reliable engine - my father's 12 year old Activa's self-starter gives some issues & it's body got rusted with time, but engine & transmission are working fine even now. It recently had to be treated with an anti-rust coating for its body & some rust was removed before that.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
An EV like Ather 450X is useless for most people. Many don't have a dedicated parking space where they can install charger. Ones like Hero Vida with removable batteries are the ones that can catch on in future.

Why avoid Activa, any reason? It has a reliable engine - my father's 12 year old Activa's self-starter gives some issues & it's body got rusted with time, but engine & transmission are working fine even now. It recently had to be treated with an anti-rust coating for its body & some rust was removed before that.
In Bangalore, Honda service centers can't handle servicing load since they sell lakhs of Activa. That was one of the reason I skipped Activa when I bought a scooter for dad. Went with Suzuki Access.

Removable battery on EV's are ideal but I trust Ather with their battery tech more than other companies who just import from Chinese OEM and rebadge and sell it here.

In Bangalore, Honda service centers can't handle servicing load since they sell lakhs of Activa. That was one of the reason I skipped Activa when I bought a scooter for dad. Went with Suzuki Access.

Removable battery on EV's are ideal but I trust Ather with their battery tech more than other companies who just import from Chinese OEM and rebadge and sell it here.
Hero has a brand name to protect, so I doubt they will have cheap batteries - Vida is also more expensive than Ather 450X. Servicing support should be good as well, unlike new companies like Ola or Bounce.

Do note, Vida V1 is from the main Hero motorcorp, not Hero electric division.
Hero MotoCorp Vida vs Hero Electric: what’s the difference? | Autocar India

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.

It was in regards with second hand Petrol Activa. Because electric scooter will be cheaper to run(Although expensive to buy) and will require comparably less service and maintenance is cheaper.

No problems with new Activa though in terms of reliability. Petrol Price is an ache though :-(

It was in regards with second hand Petrol Activa. Because electric scooter will be cheaper to run(Although expensive to buy) and will require comparably less service and maintenance is cheaper.

No problems with new Activa though in terms of reliability. Petrol Price is an ache though :-(
I don't think EV will be cheaper in very long run - say 12-15 years as you might need a battery swap after 7-8 years. 2W EVs are still nascent, maybe batteries will become even more cheaper in coming years.

So with high initial cost + battery replacement cost, it might be similar in cost to a petrol scooter with its higher maintenance.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
One of the person I know who owns an Activa are really suffering with scooter. They bought it in 2020 but it runs like its 7 years old. Dont know if the scooter is bad or the service center is just trying to scam, within 4 months it feels like the scooter was never given for service center.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
One of the person I know who owns an Activa are really suffering with scooter. They bought it in 2020 but it runs like its 7 years old. Dont know if the scooter is bad or the service center is just trying to scam, within 4 months it feels like the scooter was never given for service center.
Probably service center not doing servicing properly. One time the service center didn't change the oil even though they said they did in the jobsheet.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
With my experience of using Suzuki Gixxer for over 3 years now, I can vouch that Service center guys maynot do proper servicing. In my last servicing I explicitly mentioned to check break fluid, and within 1 month of the service, the brake fluid got empty, rendering front brake useless, also the wiring of battery somehow got loose and started giving problem in self start. I have lost trust in authentic service center guys, and will start to find good mechanics in local area.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes! This kind of stories are so common. We are cows they forever want to milk. I can't even imagine 4 wheeler expenses because service center people's scam.

Top Bottom