router for 2000 sq feet house

ramy91

Broken In
My relative has shifted to new house which has layout as shown in below figure. The orange circle indicate location of router. It 4 bedrooms and about 2000 sq feet. Can you suggest what dual band router can provide fair coverage in this case. I checked a few on amazon but not sure what to opt for. Cost not above 8000 hopefuly.

*i.imgur.com/r0eliP2.png

quicky008

Technomancer
i recommended the foll router (Based on user reviews) to someone who lives in a 2 storied house:

TP link AC1200

So far his experience has been satisfactory and the coverage that he's been getting is pretty good-the OP could check this one out.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have concluded that the best way to increase range at cheapest cost is by using a wds feature enabled wifi router as wireless extender. For reference many cheap tplink routers which earlier used to have this wds feature don't have it anymore in their latest hardware versions. Currently the cheapest gigabit router with wds option available is tplink archer c6/a6. Though tenda ac10 also has it but their implementation of wds is a bit different making it more difficult to configure compared to tplink. You can get two such routers & place them on same floor or one on each floor & this setup will cover more area than any single router costing even 6-7k in most cases.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
In my case, Wds was not stable and required to be set up everytime it boots. For some reason it didn't connect on boot.

I ended up buying a 15meter cat6 cable and hardwired it. I used hdpe coated single core with sf/ftp layer as I wired it through the internal circuit of house instead of running on wall, so all this was needed to prevent crosstalk.

OP
R

ramy91

Broken In
all this went over my head. dont know abt wds feature. will google or ask my relative to talk to someone who know such thing.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my case, Wds was not stable and required to be set up everytime it boots. For some reason it didn't connect on boot.

I ended up buying a 15meter cat6 cable and hardwired it. I used hdpe coated single core with sf/ftp layer as I wired it through the internal circuit of house instead of running on wall, so all this was needed to prevent crosstalk.
Which routers you use?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TP link c6 Ac1200, ver3.20
And what problem you faced exactly while connecting two of them via wds. I recently remotely configured an archer c6 to extend wifi network from airtel xstream router at a friend's home & though it took time but once configured it worked smoothly.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
And what problem you faced exactly while connecting two of them via wds. I recently remotely configured an archer c6 to extend wifi network from airtel xstream router at a friend's home & though it took time but once configured it worked smoothly.

The next time you boot your device it won't connect with the network and needs to be setup each time.

D

Deleted member 345628

I don't think WDS Bridging is good option . You will not get respectable speeds on wireless using WDS bridging. That is just repeating the signal.WDS is just a simplified repeater mode. It has all the drawbacks of using a repeater. WDS/repeaters cut your WiFi bandwidth in half, and it is half of whatever signal they can get, not half of the theoretical max. Also by being on the same channel they cause interference.

AP Mode > One 8K Router .
You need to use any extra routers in AP (access point) mode to get good speeds. This requires a wired connection back to the main router.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The next time you boot your device it won't connect with the network and needs to be setup each time.
I am using two archer C20 connected via wds & no such issue, are you sure you setup channels correctly because for wds to work both routers must always have same channel link.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think WDS Bridging is good option . You will not get respectable speeds on wireless using WDS bridging. That is just repeating the signal.WDS is just a simplified repeater mode. It has all the drawbacks of using a repeater. WDS/repeaters cut your WiFi bandwidth in half, and it is half of whatever signal they can get, not half of the theoretical max. Also by being on the same channel they cause interference.

AP Mode > One 8K Router .
You need to use any extra routers in AP (access point) mode to get good speeds. This requires a wired connection back to the main router.
See my above post, using same setup & getting full 100mbps speed on my 100mbps net connection. Also you are wrong, wds is wireless extender & not wireless repeater which you are talking about.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I am using two archer C20 connected via wds & no such issue, are you sure you setup channels correctly because for wds to work both routers must always have same channel link.

Yes, infact there is no problem once it is connected and working. It can keep working the whole day without problem but the on powering in the next day, it does not connect and wds needs to be re-established. I get around 60-70 speed on a 100mbps connection so that too is good considering the bridging is done wirelessly.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, infact there is no problem once it is connected and working. It can keep working the whole day without problem but the on powering in the next day, it does not connect and wds needs to be re-established. I get around 60-70 speed on a 100mbps connection so that too is good considering the bridging is done wirelessly.
Here I have no such issue with two archer C20, even if I reboot the primary or secondary router the wds connection stays.

Top Bottom