[Guide] Laptop SSDs.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
m.2. sata ssds should cost nearly the same, I guess if you find m.2. sata ssd and adapter for less cost, you could save a few bucks. Look for MX500, its a widely available M.2. ssd.

You can go for cheaper ones as well, WD Greens, Kingston etc. if you just need dirt cheap something that gets the job done.
But is there any significant performance improvement in adaptor + m.2 SSD compared to 500-600 Mbps speed of SATA SSD

Nerevarine

Incarnate
But is there any significant performance improvement in adaptor + m.2 SSD compared to 500-600 Mbps speed of SATA SSD
No, I don't think so. If it's the same ssd, you will have same speed.

Make sure you don't buy an nvme m.2. ssd and try to convert it to sata form factor. That will not work. You may also look into msata form factor, and get equivalent adapter. I remember 860 evo had this version.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Would not recommend an adapter. The price difference would definitely be smaller than the cost of the adapter.

As for speed, SATA 3.0 is 6 gbps spec. There's no way to exceed that. Realistically, 600 MBps is the max you can get with the best of SSDs. In practice, most SSDs cap out at 550 MBps.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
No, I don't think so. If it's the same ssd, you will have same speed.

Make sure you don't buy an nvme m.2. ssd and try to convert it to sata form factor. That will not work. You may also look into msata form factor, and get equivalent adapter. I remember 860 evo had this version.

Laptop doesn't have any extra msata slots

Would not recommend an adapter. The price difference would definitely be smaller than the cost of the adapter.

As for speed, SATA 3.0 is 6 gbps spec. There's no way to exceed that. Realistically, 600 MBps is the max you can get with the best of SSDs. In practice, most SSDs cap out at 550 MBps.

Yes theoretically SATA 3 6gbps = 750 MBps
Looks like only SATA SSD option.
As no speed improvements.

I will wait for next deal on Amazon or try to buy mx500 500gb locally near 5k
Any better cheaper suggestion for 500GB below 5k?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Laptop doesn't have any extra msata slots

Yes theoretically SATA 3 6gbps = 750 MBps
Looks like only SATA SSD option.
As no speed improvements.

I will wait for next deal on Amazon or try to buy mx500 500gb locally near 5k
Any better cheaper suggestion for 500GB below 5k?
I meant same way ur looking for m.2. ssd with adapter, you may look for msata with adapter. But it's best just go with regular sata

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
500 GB below 5k is difficult as of now. Keep an eye on onlyssd.com. Their prices are pretty good. Crucial MX500 is currently at ₹5400

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
500 GB below 5k is difficult as of now. Keep an eye on onlyssd.com. Their prices are pretty good. Crucial MX500 is currently at ₹5400
Currently unavailable at onlyssd and lamington road. Checked multiple shops. Will be available in 1 month or they don't know when.

I can wait for it. No problem.

I will keep eye on prices till that time.
*pcpricetracker.in/gen/products/a0d7503dcc51dbf2b3fea630975f5313

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 345628

Yeah check below sites :

*www.consumercomplaints.in/bycompany/vlebazaar-a549820.html

*www.consumersathi.com/company/6509

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Still searching for 2.5" SATA DRAM SSD near 5k.

Crucial MX500 500GB - 5 Yrs - 180 TBW -
- Not available at the moment, locally and online, prices are more than 5.5k on Amazon

ADATA SU800 ASU800SS-512GT-C 512GB - 5 Yrs* extended after 2020.07.01 - 400 TBW - DDR3 SDRAM

WD Blue WDS500G2B0A 500GB - 5 Yrs - 200TBW - DDR4 SDRAM

Any other options suggestions for price near 5k?

Top Bottom