BSOD whenever I start gaming

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Whenever I launch any game and play for 2-3 minutes it crashes the whole PC. This issue only started last month. Also I got my GPU replaced last week, so it can't be GPU. I checked thermals during gaming and it's normal on GPU, CPU & Mobo. PC is little less then 2 years old.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Mobo : Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
RAM : 8GB X 2 A-Data XPG 3200Mhz CL16
SSD : Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 Gen 3
GPU : Zotac GTX 1660 Twin Fan
PSU : Corsair 550W

Where should I start ? Coz it might be motherboard or CPU or PSU, it's hard to figure out as I don't have 2nd desktop to switch parts & find the faulty hardware.

1.jpg

P.S. Also check out this other thread of mine related to same issue:
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/computer-stuttering-while-gaming.209986/

Last edited by a moderator:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
From what I gather WHEA uncorrectable error usually occurs because of some hardware failure. Since your GPU was replaced, it could be that your new GPU is faulty. This appears to be the case since you face the issue only when gaming since the GPU is under heavy load during this time which may be triggering this error.

Just to eliminate this issue, try replacing the GPU with a borrowed GPU and see if the issue reoccurs.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
From what I gather WHEA uncorrectable error usually occurs because of some hardware failure. Since your GPU was replaced, it could be that your new GPU is faulty. This appears to be the case since you face the issue only when gaming since the GPU is under heavy load during this time which may be triggering this error.

Just to eliminate this issue, try replacing the GPU with a borrowed GPU and see if the issue reoccurs.
This problem was there before I replaced GPU, I thought it was GPU thats why I got it replaced in warranty. But the issue is still there.

So it cant be GPU 100%

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Check your storage drives, memory sticks.
Try it in Linux.
Borrow PSU from someone and try.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Looking at the BSOD it looks like you have Windows 10. Since you have no spare parts, you need to experiment with various settings.

Try the following

• Disable CPU Core Boost if enabled in BIOS / UEFI (Firmware setup)
  • Set all fans in performance mode in BIOS
  • Set manual CPU voltages (You need to marginally increase CPU voltage here) If the default CPU voltage is say 1.2 just for example set it to 1.3 or 1.4 like that and experiment with it. Also experiment with Offset voltages if supported.
  • Download Ryzen Master and run stress test after adjusting CPU voltages. Change CPU voltage from BIOS not from Ryzen Master.
  • Run Memtest (Download ISO and create bootable USB) and test RAM and check if it passes 100%.
  • Eventually take backups and do a clean install of Windows 10 and disable updates. At least keep postponing updates till possible. There are other ways in Windows 10 to disable updates too, but that’s for later.
  • Carefully clean the dust off the mobo.
  • Check if there’s anything in the event viewer or see if you can analyze BSOD dumps.
  • Upgrade / Downgrade GPU drivers. Try both ways! Sometimes latest is not the greatest.
  • See if Zotac’s FireStorm utility provides any tweaking / fine tuning of the GPU and give it a try carefully adjusting GPU settings, experiment with it. However, be careful here not to make any sudden major changes to settings.
  • Run Prime95 and see if stressing CPU causes same BSOD.
  • Run Heaven Benchmark and see if stressing GPU causes same BSOD
  • If NVMe SSD vendor has any tools to check the SSD health, check it out.
  • Alternatively if you already have OCed CPU/GPU set everything to defaults and test again
Note – Adjusting settings for CPU and GPU thru BIOS and other Utilities might have unintended results like unbootable system/freeze etc. However generally there are ways to restore to defaults.

Edit--
A bit risky option is to check if there's any firmware (BIOS/UEFI) update for your mobo and update it to see if it offers better stability. However depending upon how firmware is developed, you may or may not be able to flash to previous version if newer is unstable.

Last edited:
Adding to those^^, just try these as well:
  • Unplug & replug all wires, RAM etc, maybe something got loose (reseating RAM helps sometimes)
  • Remove CMOS battery, press power button for 10s to discharge residual charge. Try to turn on the PC & run a game. Try it later with CMOS reinserted (my friend's PC was not booting once & this solved it)
  • Reinstall Win10
In my laptop, it used to BSOD sometimes, different error. But my culprit was aggressive CPU UV.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This problem was there before I replaced GPU, I thought it was GPU thats why I got it replaced in warranty. But the issue is still there.

So it cant be GPU 100%
If it were a developed nation then this would have been mostly true but unfortunately this is India. I have seen many comments online where people reported getting a faulty graphics cards as replacement under warranty.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
I got new Antec HCG750 Gold PSU and I ran OCCT power test which stresses both cpu & gpu at same time.

CPU temps stayed fixed at 90 C as the stock cooler is garbage. Anyways at 36min mark the whole pc froze and I had to force restart using power button.

is this normal behavior ?

I got new Antec HCG750 Gold PSU and I ran OCCT power test which stresses both cpu & gpu at same time.

CPU temps stayed fixed at 90 C as the stock cooler is garbage. Anyways at 36min mark the whole pc froze and I had to force restart using power button.

Not normal, not sure of culprit, can be OS issue as well. Anyways, use it normally, not stress test, see if you get any issues.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Not normal, not sure of culprit, can be OS issue as well. Anyways, use it normally, not stress test, see if you get any issues.

I installed fresh OS also last week. Also I am using razer orochi v2 mouse, the cursor on the monitor freezes for 2-3 secs randomly 3-4 times per day and when I press keyboard button to check the system is taking input of keys which means PC is not freezing just the mouse cursor hangs. I tested with other usb ports but same issue.

Does this mean fault is in motherboard?

Update : I ran OCCT CPU test and core 5 is giving errors. I am attaching log also.

Attachments

• CPU errors.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

First of all, make sure all settings are at stock(aka no processor/ram overclocking) & then run test for only processor(not graphics card) & I saw that OCCT even has option to test individual core performance so try that too.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
First of all, make sure all settings are at stock(aka no processor/ram overclocking) & then run test for only processor(not graphics card) & I saw that OCCT even has option to test individual core performance so try that too.
all at stock settings. I disabled core 5 and game was smoother but micro stuttering was still there. But game was like so much fluidic.

I will run OCCT on the core 5 and come back with results.

I am still not sure what to replace CPU or mobo, high chance its bad CPU.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Try DDUing ur GPU drivers using this: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.4.2 and then installing latest drivers manually

I had the same problem in windows a while back, and it was because my manufacturer was pushing old drivers through windows update each time. Eventually I had to block those updates. Now I have clean installed my system, and the issue no longer persists.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
If it were a developed nation then this would have been mostly true but unfortunately this is India. I have seen many comments online where people reported getting a faulty graphics cards as replacement under warranty.
Agreed. I received faulty Corsair PSU under RMA twice. The third replacement was better.

Top Bottom