New Rig Query

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
What do you guys think of this:

*store.acer.com/en-in/laptops/gamin...-with-39-6-cm-15-6-inches-ips-display-2-2-kgs

How is acer's service in India? Should I go with this or Lenovo is more reliable?

What do you guys think of this:

*store.acer.com/en-in/laptops/gamin...-with-39-6-cm-15-6-inches-ips-display-2-2-kgs

How is acer's service in India? Should I go with this or Lenovo is more reliable?
QHD is good but I'd pick Helios 300 (2021) with i7 10870H + 3060 for its better build & thermals. Some say there's a way to unlock undervolting which was locked after a BIOS update in Helios 300 (2020). Undervolting is required for Intel CPUs to make it good.

Acer's after-sales isn't as bad as MSI but like MSI they put a warranty void sticker. Although many users said that after 1 on-site service visit, most service guys don't put it back.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Today is the last day of flipkart sale, I was thinking of picking up the helios 300 but I do not find an option to purchase extended warranty like on Acer's website. Can I buy the laptop from flipkart and buy extended warranty later from Acer?

Please let me know asap.

Today is the last day of flipkart sale, I was thinking of picking up the helios 300 but I do not find an option to purchase extended warranty like on Acer's website. Can I buy the laptop from flipkart and buy extended warranty later from Acer?

Please let me know asap.
Yes, you can. You can contact Acer customer care to know exactly how. My friend paid 7-8k for 2 years of extended warranty of Helios 300 (2019).

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
So should I go for helios 300 only or are some better units are available now.
What's the status for the legion 5 pro? They have great screens this time.

So should I go for helios 300 only or are some better units are available now.
What's the status for the legion 5 pro? They have great screens this time.
Legion 5 is expected soon, but no idea how soon.

I think part numbers are available for Indian models in some Lenovo website.

Helios 300 at 112k is still good, esp considering Acer said they will bump its 3060 from 100W to 130W, so expect a 10% performance bump when that BIOS update rolls out.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Intel 11th gen is performing better than ryzen I heard, so any 11800h or 11900h based units that are available for purchase? Or should I stick with ryzen 5800h and 3060 combo?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@whitestar_999 my bad , that news was about more steam users using intel based PCs and that was due to comet lake price cuts.

@omega44-xt yup won't go below 11800h anyway. I really liked the zephyrus m16 but there are concerns about its vents will blow out hot air onto the screen. Is their anyway to know about substandard ram sticks beforehand as was the case with strix g15 advantage edition 6800m?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@whitestar_999 my bad , that news was about more steam users using intel based PCs and that was due to comet lake price cuts.

@omega44-xt yup won't go below 11800h anyway. I really liked the zephyrus m16 but there are concerns about its vents will blow out hot air onto the screen. Is their anyway to know about substandard ram sticks beforehand as was the case with strix g15 advantage edition 6800m?
M16 uses Liquid metal thermal compound. Few days back I came some posts on Reddit that because of poor application of liquid metal thermal compound, some laptops got burnt. They also mentioned that it was not same case of all laptops but there were few cases. Any else read anything on this?

No way to know about secondary RAM timings. Linus did test it on Intel as well, that sees a performance drop as well.

IMO i5 11400H will be fine as well as 8 cores are overkill. Maybe with 3070/3080 130W+, its justified. But for 3060, i5 11400H or R5 5600H is enough IMO. You shouldn't hit CPU bottleneck with 3060.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
*www.flipkart.com/hp-omen-15-ryzen-...898&affExtParam2=60ef15a5ab9f9&affExtParam3=0

Its here guys. Is this worth the premium when compared to helios 300?
The ram is only 16gb. Is it known whether this has 2 sticks of 8 or single stick of 16?

*www.flipkart.com/hp-omen-15-ryzen-...898&affExtParam2=60ef15a5ab9f9&affExtParam3=0

Its here guys. Is this worth the premium when compared to helios 300?
The ram is only 16gb. Is it known whether this has 2 sticks of 8 or single stick of 16?
Don't know about RAM, but usually HP puts 2x8GB. Unless you don't want Acer & do some CPU heavy tasks, you are not gaining much by paying more for Omen over Helios 300. Better get Helios 300, another 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM stick (as I have not seen 3000MHz one on sale) for 7-8k & its 2 year extended warranty, I think 7-8k.

In fact, Helios 300 will perform better in future as Acer announced they will increase its RTX 3060 from 100W to 130W via a BIOS update. Also, Intel CPUs have a small 5% advantage in gaming over even Ryzen 5000.

Try to buy from Acer shop directly, as my friend bought it for 112k + like 1.5k for 2 year extended warranty. No clear idea if FK purchase allows for the promotional extended warranty.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Gaming is not priority though I would love to check out some new titles if my machine is capable.
Primary usage will be 3d animation and rendering and 2d illustration as well.
Blender does give choice of gpu for rendering so cpu might only come into play while working in the viewports and for painting apps that use cpu for natural brush simulation.

All though ryzen will be a better choice for me but I have to grab a new pen tablet as well which will be around 7-10k extra. In that regard helios 300 even at 115k makes more sense as getting a ryzen laptop with tablet would easily reach around 140k.

Correct me if I wrong, the helios 300 has a full keyboard with numpad unlike omen 15, right?

Gaming is not priority though I would love to check out some new titles if my machine is capable.
Primary usage will be 3d animation and rendering and 2d illustration as well.
Blender does give choice of gpu for rendering so cpu might only come into play while working in the viewports and for painting apps that use cpu for natural brush simulation.

All though ryzen will be a better choice for me but I have to grab a new pen tablet as well which will be around 7-10k extra. In that regard helios 300 even at 115k makes more sense as getting a ryzen laptop with tablet would easily reach around 140k.

Correct me if I wrong, the helios 300 has a full keyboard with numpad unlike omen 15, right?
Yes, check images online. Reviews are available for 2019 & 2020 variants in abundance. I think Ownordisown has reviewed 2021 RTX 30xx model. 2019 model was the major redesign for Helios 300, now its small iterations.

You have to jump through some hoops to enable CPU undervolting in the latest model now though. 2019 model was best in that regard with factory UV.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Helios 300 is now 112k + 5k warranty on flipkart. It is still outta stock on acers website.
Legion 5 pro has come and gone and I am unable to find any prebook page on amazon.
Hp victus is looking lucrative at 104k but there are no reviews and too long wait.
There is also the Zephyrus g15 5800hs and 3060 wqhd unit for 136k on reliance digital but they are offering 1yr warranty for 12k.

Should I get predator or victus or wait for legion?

Jags

Journeyman
Helios 300 is now 112k + 5k warranty on flipkart. It is still outta stock on acers website.
Legion 5 pro has come and gone and I am unable to find any prebook page on amazon.
Hp victus is looking lucrative at 104k but there are no reviews and too long wait.
There is also the Zephyrus g15 5800hs and 3060 wqhd unit for 136k on reliance digital but they are offering 1yr warranty for 12k.

Should I get predator or victus or wait for legion?
Try this FB group: Facebook मध्‍ये लॉग इन करा
Someone on digit recommended this and while I am not a gamer the community feels solid, people on the group vouch for the products they got from verifired sellers and they claim to offer lower prices than amazon (didnt check). The only weird thing is that prices are discussed on PMs.

Top Bottom