MSI GF65 Thin alarming temperatures

Bellbill

Broken In
Hello all,

I've got a new GF65 Thin from MSI, i9750h + RTX 2060.

Did some undervolt, using a 5 vents cooler pad.

Did some Doom Eternal and Witcher 3 (with improved textures) and the temperatures rose to around 95/97°. It's not a costant temperature, it's just a peak It reaches sometimes, usually It works under 80°, but it's getting me worried. I've still 4 days to give the laptop back If I'm not satistified, but I think I understand the situation is similar with all gaming laptops... What do you think?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_16066402630867435.jpg
    FB_IMG_16066402630867435.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 131
  • FB_IMG_16066402528278564.jpg
    FB_IMG_16066402528278564.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 133
  • FB_IMG_16066402455496574.jpg
    FB_IMG_16066402455496574.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 140
I keep It on and incilined cooling pad for that reason, but since they are on the side they are not blocked
Intake vents are at bottom, exhaust vents are on sides.

GF65 isn't a good laptop as its cooling solution isn't that good. But your average temps seem fine. Include screenshot of HWInfo with other parameters, like CPU clocks, GPU temp, etc, something like this:
*i.imgur.com/3upeos3.png

Use bottom left icon to expand it. I hid some values which weren't required. Last column can be scrolled. Its an old image & my laptop is hotter now.

Some tips I can give (better to see more data from your laptop), limit CPU freq or power or both. In that screenshot, my laptop's CPU was limited to 35W with 3.5GHz freq limit.

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In

GF65 isn't a good laptop as its cooling solution isn't that good. But your average temps seem fine. Include screenshot of HWInfo with other parameters, like CPU clocks, GPU temp, etc, something like this:
*i.imgur.com/3upeos3.png

Use bottom left icon to expand it. I hid some values which weren't required. Last column can be scrolled. Its an old image & my laptop is hotter now.

Some tips I can give (better to see more data from your laptop), limit CPU freq or power or both. In that screenshot, my laptop's CPU was limited to 35W with 3.5GHz freq limit.
I'll send you screens In some hours, Sorry didn't see your answer!

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In

*i.imgur.com/3upeos3.png

howinfocom.PNG
howinfocom2.PNG
howinfocom3.PNG
howinfocom4.PNG

Your laptop is throttling hard automatically, seems like 25W CPU power limit. Not sure why it's not reading some GPU parameters of interest, like power, clock & memory clock, but temps overall seem fine.

No need to modify anything else, the UV is enough on its own, just that you are losing a decent amount of performance. That chassis can't handle a 45W i7 anyways, so, carry on IMO.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Are you running this on battery?
Your laptop is throttling hard automatically, seems like 25W CPU power limit. Not sure why it's not reading some GPU parameters of interest, like power, clock & memory clock, but temps overall seem fine.
CPU PL throttling should help reduce temps.

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In

No need to modify anything else, the UV is enough on its own, just that you are losing a decent amount of performance. That chassis can't handle a 45W i7 anyways, so, carry on IMO.
Maybe It's my fault? In Throttlestop I've put turbo short and long at max 24... I followed some random guide...
Anyway you Think I should keep this laptop without worrying too much? Games are running smooth... I Just want It to last some years... I can Always repaste both. GPU and CPU

Last edited:
Maybe It's my fault? In Throttlestop I've put turbo short and long at max 24... I followed some random guide...
Anyway you Think I should keep this laptop without worrying too much? Games are running smooth... I Just want It to last some years... I can Always repaste both. GPU and CPU
Oh, ok. You can keep it at 30-35W based on temps you get.

For how much did you buy this laptop? Full specs?

I know HP Omen with R5 4600H + 1660Ti at 87k (60Hz 70% sRGB, 8GB RAM) or 105k (144Hz 100% sRGB, 8GB RAM) are other good options.

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In
Oh, ok. You can keep it at 30-35W based on temps you get.

For how much did you buy this laptop? Full specs?

I know HP Omen with R5 4600H + 1660Ti at 87k (60Hz 70% sRGB, 8GB RAM) or 105k (144Hz 100% sRGB, 8GB RAM) are other good options.
MSI GF65 Thin
i9750h + RTX 2060
16gb RAM
500gb SSD
120hz screen with good ms (I see no ghosting).

I paid it 1199€ at Black Friday (I live in Italy, price are higher here, It costed 1499€ before BF)

Last edited:
MSI GF65 Thin
i9750h + RTX 2060
16gb RAM
500gb SSD
120hz screen with good ms (I see no ghosting).

I paid it 1199€ at Black Friday (I live in Italy, price are higher here, It costed 1499€ before BF)
Ok, not seeing any better options at 1200 euros in amazon Italy. So maybe keep it with those CPU throttling that you put in place.

I'm sure its not a good 120Hz display, likely that 45% NTSC panel at 120Hz, unlike the 75% NTSC 144Hz panels found in most good laptops.

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In
Ok, not seeing any better options at 1200 euros in amazon Italy. So maybe keep it with those CPU throttling that you put in place.

I'm sure its not a good 120Hz display, likely that 45% NTSC panel at 120Hz, unlike the 75% NTSC 144Hz panels found in most good laptops.
Let's Say It's a good display for the price at least. It exist a 144hz version but It's not sold here sadly. Btw I think with some maintenance (They told me often factory thermal paste Is not very good, MSI told me I can replace It without voiding the warranty) It Will run some years of games....
PS: a review site says: "You should note that “IPS-level” usually means a TN display and although MSI’s TN panels are a lot better than what you get from the average one, it is still a TN panel."

Last edited:
Let's Say It's a good display for the price at least. It exist a 144hz version but It's not sold here sadly. Btw I think with some maintenance (They told me often factory thermal paste Is not very good, MSI told me I can replace It without voiding the warranty) It Will run some years of games....
PS: a review site says: "You should note that “IPS-level” usually means a TN display and although MSI’s TN panels are a lot better than what you get from the average one, it is still a TN panel."
I usually easily spot TN panels because of poor colour reproduction & contrast. But if you don't spot it, will serve you.

Repasting helps all laptops after a year or so.

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In
I usually easily spot TN panels because of poor colour reproduction & contrast. But if you don't spot it, will serve you.

Just for the record, I discovered that my GF65 is the last series with a 144hz panel. I knew the 120hz had 25ms response and 45% ntsc, now I have no idea about this one, can't find the data.

OP
B

Bellbill

Broken In

BTW with the last Throttlestop I did, Doom Eternal runs at max graphic (the best possible for my 2060) at 83° or lower and 120/140 FPS...

Top Bottom