Graphics Cards related queries here.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may be possible that some latest win 10 hardware feature is not supported by your processor resulting in this issue. If possible(aka have free time) then check the performance on win 8.1.

@whitestar_999 @omega44-xt Yes, its a clean install Windows 10 with all the updates. All necessary drivers are from official websites. All required files likes DirectX, NetFramework, Visuall C++ are installed with power profile optimized for max performance. Games running good but CPU utilization hovers around 60%, sometimes go near 100.
In COD MW remastered, Ultra settings with Max Supersampling drops the FPS and CPU usage to 12 fps and 10% respectively but both reaches 60 as soon as I lower supersampling. Everytime it looks like processor just denies to work even a bit when it detects SuperSampling type of things instead of working hard and get backs to work egoistically when I lower that particular setting. All though that SS at max doesn't improve anything visually to naked eyes when everything else is set to ultra.
Upon looking for same on google, there are registry settings for CPU usage for various windows task but no related content for games.
Yes, one or two tweaks in advance graphics settings make frame go beyond 100 fps easily without affecting overall visuals. But does that mean my processor is still working good and doesn't need a replacement with FX 8350 which is atleast 40% faster and nowhere to found anywhere for good price.

Yes, 99% of Neheru place market is open. Better to ask your known persons there for particular stocks before stepping out. :)
If with some tweaks you are getting satisfactory performance, keep using it & change CPU + mobo + RAM later (start saving). There might a hit on 1% low compared to newer systems.

An easy way is to get some benchmarks from games, use games with in-built benchmark tools, like Far Cry 5, Rainbow 6 Siege, AC Odyssey, etc. Then compare your numbers with RX570 numbers (those usually have top of the line CPU though) & see the difference for same settings.

It is possible that if you lower some heavy CPU usage graphical settings, your fps gets better without much loss in visual quality. Even I don't play at ultra, prefer higher more consistent fps, I try to hit 72fps on games & 144fps when possible.

king_of all

Journeyman
Hello,
i have question regarding my graphic card, from a couple of months its been acting strange, sometimes a lines came and it stop responding, after lot or trouble shooting it all came down to RAM or GC, and after testing RAM (did it with memtest) i know it was GC.

last night it was working fine but suddenly the red lines came up and it stop responding and both the screens became black (I use dual screen one BENQ ,monitor , one Samsung TV), earlier when this happens i just restart and it became ok, but this time even after restarting it showed the same lines.
so i shut down the pc for the night, but in the morning it was working fine,{Also i keep the driver updated at all times)

So i want to know should i get a new Graphic card or new PC ? {due to ongoing corona and china situation i new pc would be expensive }

my config is
Dual screen (HDMI Samsung TV, DVI Benq moniter)
AMD FX 6300
Asus M5a97 Evo R2.0
Kingston Hyperx Blu 1600Mhz 4gbx2
Zotac GTX 650TI Boost 2GB,
1.75 TB WD,
COOLERMASTER Thunder 600W, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Coolermaster 310 cabinate

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So i want to know should i get a new Graphic card or new PC ? {due to ongoing corona and china situation i new pc would be expensive }
You need a new pc anyway as your current system is quite old. I suggest buying some used graphics card for 4-5k for the time being if you cannot afford to spend the money on a new pc & to find out how much you may have to spend on new pc, post the query in pc config section after answering the questionnaire(it is a sticky post there).

toshar

New to this forum
Hello,
i have question regarding my graphic card, from a couple of months its been acting strange, sometimes a lines came and it stop responding, after lot or trouble shooting it all came down to RAM or GC, and after testing RAM (did it with memtest) i know it was GC.

last night it was working fine but suddenly the red lines came up and it stop responding and both the screens became black (I use dual screen one BENQ ,monitor , one Samsung TV), earlier when this happens i just restart and it became ok, but this time even after restarting it showed the same lines.
so i shut down the pc for the night, but in the morning it was working fine,{Also i keep the driver updated at all times)

Troubleshoot your problem step by step. Those red lines on both of the screen on exact same location or only on one screen?

-Replace your HDMi cables with whatever you have lying in your home. Use the one that came with your DTH box. See if it's working now or the lines are there on your TV too.
-May be your 6 year old 650ti start getting bottleneck particular with multiple displays, try using only 1 monitor.
-Using only 1 monitor, test your GPU for hours in its idle state and under full load (use furmark with fan speed at 100%) to figure out if the problem is there when it comes under load or even in idle state.
- Use GPU-Z along with speedfan to check various temperatures, fan rpms, power draw and bring down the clocks to default if it is overclocked. Also, increase your power limit to maximum to allow your GPU to draw more power if required.
-Your GPU is probably out of warranty, take it out, clean its PCI lane with soft brush and isoPropyl alcohol. Remove fan shroud, fan and heat sink, clean everything carefully including vrms heatpads and GPU Die removing old thermal paste , re-oil fan bush, apply new thermal paste drop, use hair dryer to dehumidify unnecessary deposits fit everything back and check with only one monitor this time. Check if temperatures improved?
-Update GPU Bios if possible.
- Take backup from C and fresh install Windows 10 with latest drivers. Note- drivers for W10 are more advance that what you have in W7.

If still fails, then only consider replacing GPU with a new one. You can buy used GPU also to save some money.

king_of all

Journeyman
Troubleshoot your problem step by step. Those red lines on both of the screen on exact same location or only on one screen?

-Replace your HDMi cables with whatever you have lying in your home. Use the one that came with your DTH box. See if it's working now or the lines are there on your TV too.
-May be your 6 year old 650ti start getting bottleneck particular with multiple displays, try using only 1 monitor.
-Using only 1 monitor, test your GPU for hours in its idle state and under full load (use furmark with fan speed at 100%) to figure out if the problem is there when it comes under load or even in idle state.
- Use GPU-Z along with speedfan to check various temperatures, fan rpms, power draw and bring down the clocks to default if it is overclocked. Also, increase your power limit to maximum to allow your GPU to draw more power if required.
-Your GPU is probably out of warranty, take it out, clean its PCI lane with soft brush and isoPropyl alcohol. Remove fan shroud, fan and heat sink, clean everything carefully including vrms heatpads and GPU Die removing old thermal paste , re-oil fan bush, apply new thermal paste drop, use hair dryer to dehumidify unnecessary deposits fit everything back and check with only one monitor this time. Check if temperatures improved?
-Update GPU Bios if possible.
- Take backup from C and fresh install Windows 10 with latest drivers. Note- drivers for W10 are more advance that what you have in W7.

If still fails, then only consider replacing GPU with a new one. You can buy used GPU also to save some money.
I did the troubleshooting and found the GPU at fault, please can anyone suggest me some compatible cheap GPU i can buy than sell this config.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did the troubleshooting and found the GPU at fault, please can anyone suggest me some compatible cheap GPU i can buy than sell this config.
If you just want display output then simply buy a used card like GT710/730. Check olx for your city & techenclave forum & erodov forum bazaar section(only get from old trusted members).

quicky008

Technomancer
Your psu ie cm thunder is not that good either, after replacing gpu if you can save up some cash then you should consider replacing the psu as well.

Even an entry level corsair vs 450 (2017 grey label version) is better than this.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Guys I saw one Zotac 1050ti ddr5 4gb graphic card on olx nearby my place.

As per seller 2.6 yrs warranty left & his quote is 7500 rupees.

Is it worth investing for & what should I examine before finalizing?

My CPU is core i3 4150 on Gigabyte H81M-S2PH. Power supply is antec vp450p.

Last edited:

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Not worth it. A used RX 570 or GTX 1060 6GB goes for that price. BTW, wait for RTX 3000 series launch. Used market should have plenty of newer GPUs for cheap then.
Thanks
In fact I was also on lookout for rx570/580 or 1060 just in case the pc upgrade bug bit me hard.
I thought may be 1050ti would suffice my config & will keep kids entertaining for next 2 yrs saving some money later on for decent configuration.

quicky008

Technomancer
is 1060 6gb still a good card for running current AAA games?i have a zotac 1060 amp but it results in fps drops to a great extent in newer titles like control,horizon zero dawn etc.

is it due to the fact that these games are poorly optimized or the gpu itself is no longer capable of running gpu intensive games smoothly?

is 1060 6gb still a good card for running current AAA games?i have a zotac 1060 amp but it results in fps drops to a great extent in newer titles like control,horizon zero dawn etc.

is it due to the fact that these games are poorly optimized or the gpu itself is no longer capable of running gpu intensive games smoothly?
IMO GTX1060 is still good for 1080p medium-high gaming at 60fps. Even in HZD, it should hit close to 60fps in 1080p original preset, just reduce cloud quality & see how much it helps. HZD is not a good port as said earlier & I have seen fps drops in even more powerful systems.

quicky008

Technomancer
Same can be said of control and some of remedy's earlier games like quantum break.

Control is supposed to be a showcase of RTX technology,but its visuals look really poor.Despite it sub-par visual quality(muddy low res textures,dark and poorly lit rooms etc) it still needs a very powerful gpu to run smoothly,which is really frustrating.

It looks liked they deliberately gimped the game's performance to ensure it ran poorly on non rtx gpus.

My 1060 can still run other more recent titles like metro exodus at med settings comfortably(which look a lot better than control)-but falters a lot when it comes to the aforesaid games.Also nvidia might have done something to reduce performance of older 10 series cards in their recent drivers,which could be causing such issues.

I was eyeing a RTX 2060 super amp from zotac on amazon,but it costs a whopping 40k-is it worth buying at this time?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I suggest better to wait for RTX3060 and then judge whether to go for RTX3060, RTX2060S or chose the AMD alternative. 40K is too much at this point.

Same can be said of control and some of remedy's earlier games like quantum break.

Control is supposed to be a showcase of RTX technology,but its visuals look really poor.Despite it sub-par visual quality(muddy low res textures,dark and poorly lit rooms etc) it still needs a very powerful gpu to run smoothly,which is really frustrating.

It looks liked they deliberately gimped the game's performance to ensure it ran poorly on non rtx gpus.

My 1060 can still run other more recent titles like metro exodus at med settings comfortably(which look a lot better than control)-but falters a lot when it comes to the aforesaid games.Also nvidia might have done something to reduce performance of older 10 series cards in their recent drivers,which could be causing such issues.

I was eyeing a RTX 2060 super amp from zotac on amazon,but it costs a whopping 40k-is it worth buying at this time?
RTX 2060 Super was never a good value IMO. At 33-35k, you get 10% more performance than vanilla 2060 which costs just 25-27k. So just wait, if you can. Else, maybe get a used RX570/580 or 1060 for 6-7k or so.

quicky008

Technomancer
I suggest better to wait for RTX3060 and then judge whether to go for RTX3060, RTX2060S or chose the AMD alternative. 40K is too much at this point.
Is there any tentative release date of RTX 3060?

It seems quite unlikely to be released this year,if at all.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I agree, Control has been one of the most overrated shit of the gaming industry.. The graphics themselves do not look as good as say, BFV, which runs super smooth with RTX turned off.
EA is a terrible company but man that engine DICE built has consistently provided the best graphics/requirement ratio

Top Bottom