Monitor vs LED screen reflection comparison

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
My 40" videocon LED broke, so I am using a 27" benq LED computer monitor, which is placed right in front of the TV. This gave an opportunity to compare the 2. Check the pic to see how much light both screens are reflecting.

*i.imgur.com/jVIxyuV.jpg

As you can see the 40" TV is stupidly relfective. It reflect everything. The whole room can be seen during dark scenes. The smaller non-reflecting monitor is not dim. Its just plain better, except for the size of course .

The room is lit with a mere 9 watt led.
Afaik most TV are like this only. Why? why on earth would someone make such a mirror-screen? What could possibly TV manufacturors gain from such idiocracy ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glossy vs. Matte LCDs: Which Should You Choose When Buying a Display?
Glossy displays have more vivid color and contrast. Colors appear more intense and saturated, while blacks appear deeper. However, light shining on the display can cause extremely noticeable reflections. Sunlight is the worst case scenario — either direct sunlight outside or even just sunlight coming in through a window. Reflections can make a glossy display basically unusable in direct sunlight.

Matte screens have an anti-glare coating applied to them, so they’re much better at preventing reflections. It’s easier to see a matte screen in a bright room, whether you’re dealing with sunlight or just intense light from overhead fluorescent light bulbs in an office. The downside is that this coating makes colors appear a bit more dull.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Guys, any TV that are not glossy ? I am checking for TV's in showrooms and they show better reflections of the bulbs in the shop, than the picture.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Usually TVs are glossy because after all you can change the light placement or turn off the light but you cannot improve the colours.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Question: Are glossy better than semi-glossy ? Read that semi glossy show more reflection of ambient light. True ? Any comparisons / experience ?
The matte screen below the semi-glossy in the pic above has no reflection. Compare that to the semi-glossy above which is showing too much reflection of a room lit by a 7-9 Watt led bulb. The bulb is not even directly visible.

@whitestar_999 If matte screens have worse colours than glossy, then that difference in just not noticeable to me. The only glaring difference is the reflected light.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can't notice it then fine but general belief is opposite hence lack of TVs with non-glossy screen.Why not change the lighting placement,should be easier than searching for good matte screen TVs?

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Why not change the lighting placement,should be easier than searching for good matte screen TVs?
The thing is, even with sunlight streaming through the corners of a curtain, the reflection is there :( . I can't go less than 7Watts. As for position, there is no direct light. Plus, 2 other tubelights give similar results. So not sure .
Some say glossy reflect less ambient light than semi. Hence my question, would glossy be better than semi glossy ?

but general belief is opposite hence lack of TVs with non-glossy screen
That's so weird for me.. I mean, if a screen is reflecting its surroundings, then having deep blacks and vivid colors seems ???

Gollum

Collector
I've used and compared a fair bit of screens and I find that glossy is better for achieving a perceived higher contrast in a well lit room.
If you compare a glossy and matte IPS screen showing the same image, you will find the glossy one to be better.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
There is one thing to note: the darker the content on the screen the higher the reflection problem. So glossy may have advantages if the content is brighter.

matte IPS screen showing the same image,

Which screen please ? Sure it was matte and not semi-glossy?

Top Bottom