No beep no display

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hello,

I am faced with a peculiar problem with my desktop. Actually when I try to switch it on, there is no display and there is no beep. But I can hear the CPU fan and the graphics card fan running normally. Even I can see the HDD activity lights blinking. My desktop config is 8 years old.

Gigabyte 890-UD3H.
AMD phenon II X4 955
8GB DDR3 RAM (I dont remember the frequency), 2 sticks.
1TB Seagate HDD (changed last year)
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050 1GB graphics card (changed in 2017 after previous graphics card was dead).

Without the display I cannot diagonize.

What could be the problem and solution? I dont want to format the HDD and reinstall windows as I have some data on the HDD (some old photos, documents) which has not been fully backed up yet.

Regards.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can try remote login(if it is not disabled in windows) from another system in same local network.Have you tried connecting monitor to motherboard onboard video output port(not the graphics card output port)?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Did the system beep before, asking to be sure if a system speaker is installed on the motherboard.
How exactly are HDD light blinking ? Do they respond if the computer is put into shutdown/hibernate ? Like from the power button , or Win+X menu ?
Are we sure the monitor is working ? When the PC is off, then turn off and on the monitor to see if it shows 'no display' or something.
Monitor cable, GPU could be issues. Try moving cable to motherboard HDMI/DVI slot. Different cable/port can be tried.
See if any beeps are present by running without RAM.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@whitestar_999 , my desktop is at home. There is no LAN so no chance of remote login. LED monitor is connected by HDMI cable to display port. Will try the DVI ports instead and check.

@cute.bandar , the desktop was working fine without any issues. It used to give a single beep before booting.

The HDD light is not continuously lighting, but blinking at regular intervals, say every 3 seconds. It lights up first when switching on the system for the first time. I think the system is booting up but without display I am not able to understand. I cannot shut down the normal way, only way is long pressing the power button. At that time, the HDD light switches on again.

Will first check by using the onboard display or changing to alternate display port. I think the monitor is fine. It says no signal on HDMI and mentions monitor going to sleep after say 10 secs.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Beep should have come if RAM was the issue. But still, just to be sure, run pc with single ram stick in each slot once at a time. Also, do this without the GPU. If RAM sticks are working fine then insert GPU and restart

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
my desktop is at home. There is no LAN so no chance of remote login. LED monitor is connected by HDMI cable to display port. Will try the DVI ports instead and check.
Use ports on both mobo & graphics card one by one.Also hdmi cable is supposed to be connected to hdmi port,why are you using hdmi-displayport adapter.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Try with minimal components. No external GPU, no RAM no HDD, if CPU is fine it will give multiple beeps in that case (bcos RAM is missing). Then start troubleshooting from thereon by adding a component at a time.

I do not know how your BIOS is designed but some BIOS's disable onboard graphics if they detect presence of external GPU in PCIe slot. So also try alternating between onboard and external GPU and also when checking onboard, additionally also remove external GPU and try.

Sometimes due to repeated heating and cooling socketed components like add on cards and RAM sticks get somewhat loosened in their own socket and PC misbehaves. Re-seat all components.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clear CMOS / Bios setting by removing the battery and placing it again after some time. Make sure pc is powered off. Remove graphic card.

Connect monitor cable with motherboard display output ports ( dvi / vga / hdmi ). See if system beeps. If not reseat every component including the processor.

If not have a close look at the hdd light - if it's continuously lighting up for some time say 1 - 2 mins then you can be sure your OS is loading up if it only blinks then there might be some other issue.

Issue could be 1. Graphic card 2. PSU 3. Motherboard. 4. Ram.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Actually I checked again and then found that the LED on the graphics card 'Fan stop' is blinking after powering on and the fans are not rotating on the graphics card. I reconnected the power cable. Does this mean that the graphics card is damaged and I have to replace it? Can it be repaired?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends but only simple defects are repairable on graphics card & that too when done by knowledgeable person(which leaves only in warranty cards at service centre because if anything goes wrong you will still get a new card).

Top Bottom