shreeux

Movie Buff
I was thinking how did I miss this, then I saw it's on sale at 50% discount. At this price it's really great. PSU only consumes as much power as your PC needs. The only thing to worry about high power supplies is the inrush current and maybe weight if you have an issue with portability. If the PSU doesn't have a good inrush current limiter it could damage your breakers/fuses in the electrical grid at your home. But it looks like it does have a good enough inrush limiter.

Antec HCG1000 Extreme Rating - Tom's Hardware

Compare to others sites, less in MD Computers. I think instead of 750W, for better to get 1000W?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking how did I miss this, then I saw it's on sale at 50% discount. At this price it's really great. PSU only consumes as much power as your PC needs. The only thing to worry about high power supplies is the inrush current and maybe weight if you have an issue with portability. If the PSU doesn't have a good inrush current limiter it could damage your breakers/fuses in the electrical grid at your home. But it looks like it does have a good enough inrush limiter.

Antec HCG1000 Extreme Rating - Tom's Hardware
Then why is this placed two tiers below corsair latest CX(grey) series in linustechtips v3 psu tier list( PSU Tier List 3.0 ). Tomshardware review also mentioned one of the cons as big voltage drop on 3.3V rail. TX850M is available for 8799 & will suffice for almost any user so why unnecessarily spend on a bigger & inferior psu when one doesn't even need that extra power.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compare to others sites, less in MD Computers. I think instead of 750W, for better to get 1000W?
Do you even need 1000W?Just because something is available for discount doesn't mean you should get it too even if you don't need it. 1000w psu is only for extreme overclockers & miners running multiple gpus. For everyone else even a 850w psu is more than enough.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 650 4 Outlet)....I have to choose upto 650W?
UPS VA rating is different from actual power load it can provide.Multiply any UPS VA rating by 0.6(aka 60%) to get actual power load capacity. A 600VA ups can support a max of (600*0.6)=360W.You can even use 1000W psu & as long as actual system load stays below 300W,a 600VA ups should work assuming your 1000w psu during power cut doesn't draw power more than actual system load(it is a technical concept,basically during power cut a psu can draw power more than actual system load(but always less than its max capacity) which may be more than your ups capacity hence the review of psu).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Then why is this placed two tiers below corsair latest CX(grey) series in linustechtips v3 psu tier list( PSU Tier List 3.0 ). Tomshardware review also mentioned one of the cons as big voltage drop on 3.3V rail. TX850M is available for 8799 & will suffice for almost any user so why unnecessarily spend on a bigger & inferior psu when one doesn't even need that extra power.

Antec had HCG before (with 3 and 5 yrs warranty) as well like the old Earthwatts Gold Pro. This is a newer model with 10 yrs warranty based on the new Seasonic Focus Gold platform. Now if mdcomputers is faking it that's another thing. But I agree that 1000W is overkill for anything.

Old model:
*images.hardocp.com/images/articles/129453478691ypjXgw9F_3_5_l.jpg *images.hardocp.com/images/articles/129453478691ypjXgw9F_3_4_l.jpg

New model:
*img.purch.com/r/711x457/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL0UvNzg2MjU0L29yaWdpbmFsL3BzdV9ib3R0b20uanBn *img.purch.com/r/711x457/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL0gvNzg2MjU3L29yaWdpbmFsL3BzdV90b3BfcmVhci5qcGc=

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Corsair VS450 Rating - Tom's Hardware

If you don't have increased demands from your power supply and want to spend the least amount possible, the Corsair VS450 deserves a consideration. For starters it managed to survive all of my tests, including the super tough protection features testing, although I should note that I decided to terminate the over power protection evaluation earlier, once I saw bottom low voltages at +12V. The fact is that with $40 (£31) you shouldn't be extra picky, especially when it comes to a power supply.

It was a nice surprise to see a longer than 17ms hold-up time, given that in the majority of budget power supplies the bulk caps are undersized to restrict the cost. Moreover, the power ok signal is accurate. Corsair provides a three-year warranty to this product, so naturally its engineers have faith in this platform. Inside, only Teapo caps are used, which in general are considered of good quality.

If you install this unit into a chassis with a good airflow and manage to keep the internal temperatures below 30 degrees Celsius, it will easily outlive the provided warranty. However the quality of your mains grid plays a significant role in this, as well. If the power quality in your area isn't high enough (lots of power cuts and/or brownouts), then you better use a quality UPS to power not only the VS450, but every electronic device you have. Voltage surges and brownouts are a leading cause of PSU failure.

Given its budget orientation, the Corsair VS450 is a decent product. Personally I wouldn't buy such a low efficiency power supply, but there are still users out there that don't want to invest more, so there is a large market for low-efficiency PSUs. If you want something more efficient, costing only a few bucks/pounds more, you should take a look at the Corsair CX450 or the CX450M which comes with modular cables.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you install this unit into a chassis with a good airflow and manage to keep the internal temperatures below 30 degrees Celsius, it will easily outlive the provided warranty.

That seems a bit difficult especially in regions where summer temps crosses 40C easily(I am assuming this based on my own low power G620 pc(1 intake & 1 exhaust case fan) mobo temp readings in software in a non-ac room).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Yeah pretty much half the country lives at 40°C :lol:

The reason for that statement is VS450 uses a Teapo cap rated at 85°C for the primary. All caps on CX450 e.g. are rated at 105°C. Other components like the APFC Boost Diode is also rated at a lower temperature (59°C for VS450 vs 150°C for CX450). Lower quality components in general. The only reason the reviewer recommends it is because of the price. You can't really complain much for that price.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
my cx430v2 has left its magic smoke after 7 years running on a bad grid supply, occasional low, high voltages like 180v to 265v (connected to pure sinewave inverter 2kva with stabilizer to buck from 300v) & generator grid supply.
Even have a cctv recording of the smoke and people running away from it :p
(still i own around 5 cx430 and a cx450, fan of corsair too :p)

also the white smoke came at high speed for around 10-15 seconds, later opened it up to see the capacitor exploded and oil leaked over the walls of the psu.
played around with the 120mm fan and man, that was really fast and airy when connected to 12v source without speed reduction(generally it is very silent as the cx430 seems to reduce voltage based on temp/load)

so thats a old g620 based system, any suggestions please that will make the system running without burning 3.8k with the new cx450 for a g620 system?.
zebronics/foxin/circle/frontech? which is the better of all the cheapest? visited a local shop to check and not able to assess the lightweight shiny metal psu's with overrated amps written over it .

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
A cheap psu is enough for a G620 system but considering your "power supply situation" it is better to stick to good models.If CX450 is too costly for you then you can go with VS450 which is ~1k cheaper but do read the review posted by @chimera201 above.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Corsair VS Series 650 W Review

The truth is that highly affordable units like the VS650 are the money makers because they are sold in great numbers, which means every brand seriously enrolled in the PSU market has to have mainstream PSU offerings. The challenge is the fine balance between the final price and performance and reliability. This is a tough job to do properly, but Corsair has a lot of experience with power supplies, and its people did a good job with the VS650. Surely, it doesn't set any performance records, but the fact alone that it managed to outlive all of my tough tests means a lot.

Usually, I am extra cautious when testing mainstream PSUs because a failure won't just result in fireworks, but may damage my equipment. The Chroma I use is highly tolerant to PSU failures, but that is not the case for my very expensive power analyzer that may take quite the blow if a power supply's primary side explodes, which is why I avoid testing incredibly cheap PSUs.

The major pros of the VS650—next to its low price—are its efficient 5VSB rail, three-year warranty, which is long enough for such a product, and Cybenetics and 80 PLUS ratings. Samples sent to independent labs for certification show the faith a brand has in the product, and that it doesn't have anything to hide. While Cybenetics ratings are much tougher to get then 80 PLUS ones, the VS650 still managed to get their ETA-S efficiency (83.258% overall efficiency) and LAMBDA-S++ noise (33.69 dB[A] overall noise output) ratings.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Does this mean it is safe to recommend VS series now for extreme budget builds? Also this VS650 costs just a little less than CX550 which itself is sufficient for most mid range budget rigs so not much point going for this.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^^Does this mean it is safe to recommend VS series now for extreme budget builds? Also this VS650 costs just a little less than CX550 which itself is sufficient for most mid range budget rigs so not much point going for this.

It's good enough for no dGPU budget builds or GPUs like GT 1030.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's good enough for no dGPU budget builds or GPUs like GT 1030.
But any rig needing more than 450W is almost likely to have a dgpu of at least 1050Ti or above.Those who need more than 450W without a dgpu are usually looking for a quality workstation with budget that can easily accommodate a good psu.Isn't this series now good enough(judging by conclusion of reviews) for cards like 1060/1660 that don't require as much power?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
But any rig needing more than 450W is almost likely to have a dgpu of at least 1050Ti or above.Those who need more than 450W without a dgpu are usually looking for a quality workstation with budget that can easily accommodate a good psu.Isn't this series now good enough(judging by conclusion of reviews) for cards like 1060/1660 that don't require as much power?

That whole conclusion is based on price. For the given price it is a great product. That does not mean it's a great product overall. It's still based on the old group regulated design and lower quality components. It won't hold up long for power requirements of current GPUs. Also adding more wattage doesn't really increase manufacturing cost of the PSU by much. That's why you see some higher wattage models same price as a lower wattage model in a particular series (+ mining overstock). They keeping making higher wattage models because people still have the notion that higher wattage is better plus they get a better profit margin on those units.

You should read also this:
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,3979-2.html

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
One question is it always good to have high watt psu like 900 or 1000 when actually we need only 500 or 400.. considering that PSU and cabinet that stay for year after year .. so that we buy a good high watt just in case if we want to add more components.

Also does PSU regulate watts based on requirements of componnet.. i have 1000 watt psu but my system only need 500.. will it still draw 1000.. will it affect my electronic bill.

Dowa PSU loos it's its quality if left unused for long

Or used too much .

Where can i find hierarchy chart of psu available in india

Can we change components in PSU our self

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
One question is it always good to have high watt psu like 900 or 1000 when actually we need only 500 or 400.. considering that PSU and cabinet that stay for year after year .. so that we buy a good high watt just in case if we want to add more components.

SLI/CF is pretty much dead. So there's no point doing multi-GPU. So if you have a high end enthusiast system with many drives and add-ons 750W would be a sweet spot. 1000W is overkill for any consumer PC.

Also does PSU regulate watts based on requirements of componnet.. i have 1000 watt psu but my system only need 500.. will it still draw 1000.. will it affect my electronic bill.
It will only consume power depending on load.

Dowa PSU loos it's its quality if left unused for long
Or used too much .
Dust ,humidity, temperature, power surges, etc can wear out the PSU over time. Running the PSU will generate heat so yeah it will wear out.

Where can i find hierarchy chart of psu available in india
It's just Corsair and Antec that are competitive in India. CoolerMaster ain't competitive yet. Seasonic is outdated. Just looking at the warranty years on Corsair and Antec units would be enough to know it's quality.

Can we change components in PSU our self
Don't.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Johnny Lucky Power Supply Recommendation
JonnyGURU.com – Home of the PSU GURUs.
Best Power Supplies of 2019 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware
PSU Tier List 4.0
Best PC Power Supplies: Holiday 2019
Corsair "hierarchy"

Other useful links
Rocket Jump Ninja | Rocket Jump Ninja
PlayTool Home

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
SLI/CF is pretty much dead. So there's no point doing multi-GPU. So if you have a high end enthusiast system with many drives and add-ons 750W would be a sweet spot. 1000W is overkill for any consumer PC.

It will only consume power depending on load.

Dust ,humidity, temperature, power surges, etc can wear out the PSU over time. Running the PSU will generate heat so yeah it will wear out.

It's just Corsair and Antec that are competitive in India. CoolerMaster ain't competitive yet. Seasonic is outdated. Just looking at the warranty years on Corsair and Antec units would be enough to know it's quality.

Don't.

Hmmm

Listen all guys who are selling their hugely used power supply at almost 70 - 80 % price of original or new one.

PSU should not be sold at too high price when it's second hand...

Also can you guys please update the recommendation list

Also is it cheaper in USA or india

So we can arrange from there

Top Bottom