Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

aaruni

The Linux Guy
That is a kernel argument.
True, but "bhavana ko samjho", my friend ;)

But that's the price we are paying for "getting it free". Free OS doesn't mean easy OS. And while the learning curve is worth to learn, many just don't want to do it.
Everything has a learning curve. For windows, you just don't realise it because you've been using it ever since you set your eyes on a computer. Its in your brain that Windows is somehow "default", and linux is different. If you raise a child with only access to Linux you will hear similar complaints about Windows. "You pay for it, and its got a stupid learning curve".
You remind me of CBSE 12th grade textbook. It said "Cons of Object Oriented Programming : You have to learn it.". That's not a con, that's a requirement. For anything. But I fear I may be going off on a tangent....

aaruni

The Linux Guy
In Nix you need to "understand" what you are doing, learn about package manager, repositories, software sources, multiple ways to install same thing.. etc.
Even my noob sister understands its easier in Ubuntu.
Software centre -> search -> install -> password -> ok.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
@Vyom looks like the glxinfo command was not the correct one to get information on the actual driver working.
Please try the following and check
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'

Also have you checked the Driver Manager mentioned by @aaruni here ---> Do you use Linux OS as daily driver?

I get the following output in my machine:
Code:
[ss@localhost ~]$ lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu

[ss@localhost ~]$ glxinfo | grep vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything has a learning curve. For windows, you just don't realise it because you've been using it ever since you set your eyes on a computer. Its in your brain that Windows is somehow "default", and linux is different. If you raise a child with only access to Linux you will hear similar complaints about Windows. "You pay for it, and its got a stupid learning curve".
I disagree,I have used linux(though I will not call myself a regular linux user) & I found it "unintutive". By this I mean that if a person having zero knowledge in computers is given a linux pc & a windows pc then most likely he will learn to operate windows pc earlier than linux pc. In fact my first considerable pc operating experience was with linux only & I did learn to operate it at a basic level but I never felt as comfortable with it as windows xp. What I mean by this is even though I could do the same task(like browsing,file explorer etc) in both xp & linux but I preferred doing it in xp.

Today I know much more about pc/os & can use any linux gui os in day-to-day tasks comfortably but still I choose not to.Reason being that I know with my level of knowledge & expectations from an OS I would probably spend more hours searching for various ways to do things in my own way on linux & I don't want to do that. To be more precise if I am going to learn Linux then I would rather learn it professionally to help in my work/get better pay instead of learning it to run linux to my liking.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I honestly cannot tell much difference between a good Linux UI and Windows. In terms of usability, anyway. Hell, my mom still thinks her Lubuntu is Windows XP.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom looks like the glxinfo command was not the correct one to get information on the actual driver working.
Please try the following and check
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
I get the exact same output as you. And driver manager doesn't show anything. Says "no proprietary drivers are in use".

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mac OS X to ssh into Linux, and work.

Windows suitcases are stupid; unsuitable for even this small task. Linux is okay; but as a productivity platform, it sucks.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@Vyom
Brother can we play most of the games in Linux? My friend is planning to switch to Linux as the Windows Pro license is very expensive.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom
Brother can we play most of the games in Linux? My friend is planning to switch to Linux as the Windows Pro license is very expensive.
It's not even about windows expensive, at this rate, windows OS is just annoying. Regarding privacy, updates, and bugs in those updates. Just not acceptable.
I haven't played games on Linux yet, but I do plan to test some games on Mint. But quite busy these days, will have to report in due time.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom
I play games on Linux regularly. Last game I finished on Linux was Mad Max (natively ported to Linux by Feral Interactive).

There are many such ported games on Linux, you can check out what is available on Feral Interactive's and Aspyr Media's websites. You can also search by platform on the Steam store by selecting "SteamOS + Linux" to see what's available.

Other than this, there is Proton (also called Steam Play) on Steam's linux client which is a fork of Wine. Using this many Windows games are supported as well now. Though support is hit-and-miss at times, you can see the games performance ratings and search for the games you are interested in here: *protondb.com

prudhivisekhar

In the zone
Nice to see Linux discussion here.. Any one using optimus for nvidia drivers on laptop in fedora or arch based distros? Tried on Antergos, Manajro and Fedora, but failed. Now using Ubuntu 18.10 ,as it works well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom