Karnataka villagers drain lake after HIV+ woman drowns in it

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The residents of Morab, around 30km from Hubballi, have refused to drink water from their village lake after an HIV-positive woman committed suicide by jumping into it a week ago. Unable to convince them, the authorities are now draining the water from the 36-acre lake — roughly the size of 25 football fields

Dr Glory Alexander, founder-director of Asha Foundation, which treats HIV+ patients, said it was a case of fear rather than stigma. “It’s sheer ignorance stemming from lack of awareness. When an HIV-positive person dies, the virus also dies. Even if the virus comes out of the body, it cannot survive in water and dies in a couple of seconds. There is no risk of infection spreading from the water,” she said.

Source: Karnataka villagers drain lake after HIV+ woman drowns in it - Times of India

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I never thought about it before. But isn't a lake just stagnant water? And doesn't stagnant water quickly becomes home to viruses/mosquitoes eggs etc?
If water in lake is not stagnant, and actually comes from underground water/rain, then shouldn't the lake will be automatically replenish in due time?

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
But isn't a lake just stagnant water? And doesn't stagnant water quickly becomes home to viruses/mosquitoes eggs etc?
If water in lake is not stagnant, and actually comes from underground water/rain, then shouldn't the lake will be automatically replenish in due time?
Yes, it is stagnant..but cities get water from Lake only like Mumbai and the BMC filter the water with chlorine to kill the bacteria.

Top Bottom