[?!] WhatsApp to delete all chats not backed up to Google Drive: What you need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
My thinking on this news is that we are missing something. I feel they really mean that you will lose any old chats previously backed up on Google Drive but not updated recently (within the last 1 year span) will be deleted by Google. So unless you have done another manual backup recently, you are losing the old ones if you move to a different phone and want to restore from Google Drive.

Many outlets have reported this including Telecom Talk and BGR but I feel they are all basing it on some agency story. I checked whatsapp.com blog and there is no mention of this there. There is no official tweet too so I do not know their source.

WhatsApp to delete all chats not backed up to Google Drive: What you need to know

--------------------
WhatsApp will starting deleting all chat histories on Android, which have not been backed up to Google Drive.
By: Tech Desk | Published: November 13, 2018 10:43:50 am

WhatsApp will starting deleting all chat histories on Android, which have not been backed up to Google Drive. In August, WhatsApp and Google Drive had announced a partnership whereby all chats from the messaging account, which were backed to the Drive account would not count against the user’s data storage.

Google Drive will let users backup up their WhatsApp data to the account for free. By default, Google gives around 15GB of free storage to users.

However, the terms and conditions also meant that users needed to manually backup their WhatsApp data on Google Drive before November 12. This was to avoid loss of any WhatsApp data that is already on your Drive. In order, to refresh existing backups, users had to back up before October 30, 2018. This applied even to those relying on automatic backups for their WhatsApp data.

Now that the November 12 deadline is over, users need to make sure that their WhatsApp data has been saved. Anyone who has not done a manual backup, might find that their old chats and data are not saved to their Google Drive account. This could also result in loss of chat histories.

WhatsApp had also warned that any backups which had not been updated in over a year would be automatically removed from the Google Drive storage. This means if you have not backed up the account in the past one year, you are likely to find all the chat histories are gone.

Read more here - WhatsApp to delete all chats not backed up to Google Drive: What you need to know

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Until there is formal confirmation, I think we can assume this to be nothing but FUD.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Because the reports are seen in Indian Express, Hindustan Times, TelecomTalk I thought there might be some sort of truth in it.

Let us wait and see.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This story 1st appeared in aug 2018 & as usual on "Indian news sites" & till now not a single reputed international online news site has confirmed this.
WhatsApp to delete old chats if they are not refreshed before Nov 12, Google Drive free storage coming soon

edit: it seems there are some references to this "new policy" buried in some random news articles on some international news sites but not as highlighted as one would expect from such a news. Anyway it is safe to assume that anybody who did not updated their whatsapp backup to google drive in last 1 year probably does not care about those backups at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom