[RFC] What compromise I should make on my motherboard purchase?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
if the prices of intel cpus had not gone through the roof in recent months,then perhaps an intel g4560+h110 mobo+8gb ram would have been better suited for your requirements.

There is also Athlon 200GE (Rs 5000 at md , offline probably cheaper at 4700 or so ) as an alternative btw if cost is bigger priority or if you want to use it as temporary solution or usage/requirement is low

AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Review

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its only good if one is not going to upgrade at all/office pc or was planning on building a g4560 rig to begin with.Why spend ~4.8k on this when by spending 7.8k you can get 2200G which is much better cpu as well as igpu wise plus can be overclocked as well.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Decided to go with B350M Gaming 3 board and went to buy it. Local store guy started searching for the motherboard in the racks and couldn't find it and said it's not available. :mad:
What's the choice I have now? Don't like B450M A, B450 Pro4 is not available and it's probably gonna take a month to restock, prefer not to settle with A320, and now Gaming 3 too not available. I can get X370M Gaming 3 for 8500/-, it's Ryzen 2000 ready, but decided to go with B450M Pro VDH.
I think I have compromised on every front. No DP, not an ATX board, no Gen 2 USB, only 4 SATA, brand.

When people trying to get something cheapest possible, every rupee matters. They have to be the judge of what they want/afford. I made this comparo, with rough pricing and cpu scores. It's Pentium vs others. Decide which way you wanna lean.

*i.imgur.com/Iae9J4S.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
450M pro VDH is a decent mobo & as for sata ports you can always get one of these:
4 Ports SATA 6G PCI Express Controller Card PCI e to SATA III 3.0 converter with Heat Sink Expansion Adapter Board for PC-in Add On Cards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Gen2 usb is just a gimmick for now at least in India where pc components prices are always much higher than US.It is only good for those who have 500gb ssd lying around in usb gen2 cases & daily moves 100s of GB of data.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
have you already bought the processor?
Bought everything. I mean, placed order. Now it's waiting time. Hopefully, it will arrive within 3-5 days provided if they process the order right away. If not, it will get delayed. Hoping the rig will be up and running before Diwali.
450M pro VDH is a decent mobo & as for sata ports you can always get one of these:
4 Ports SATA 6G PCI Express Controller Card PCI e to SATA III 3.0 converter with Heat Sink Expansion Adapter Board for PC-in Add On Cards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Gen2 usb is just a gimmick for now at least in India where pc components prices are always much higher than US.It is only good for those who have 500gb ssd lying around in usb gen2 cases & daily moves 100s of GB of data.
Better I don't get to that point. Currently 3 SATA ports are filled and it's likely to remain there for foreseeable future.

I am not moving 100s of GB but 10s. With 3.0 I don't find it's fast enough. They say it's 5Gbps, but I don't see that speed. May be it's because too many small files.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Small files will always move with much smaller speeds compared to large files.That is why sequential speeds of any storage device is much higher than random 4k speeds.Also if you meant usb 3.0 pen drives are not fast enough then they indeed are quite slow.It is better to purchase a 120gb ssd like kingston A400 for 1.7k & use that in a usb 3 enclosure(like orico transparent,~650) than getting a 64gb/128gb usb 3 pen drive.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Received CPU and memory. Motherboard is still in processing stage. I don't know how long it will stay there, contacted the seller and it's yet to be shipped :(

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ryzen 2200G & Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR4 2400 mHz C14
*i.imgur.com/GRlvlOT.png *i.imgur.com/ZVquwdO.png

Still waiting for motherboard.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Wow, how much did you spend in total? Which motherboard did you get?
~18k for CPU+MB+RAM. This is the one I bought B450M Pro VDH
And spent about 3k for case.
What are the temps,run some benchmarks & check it.
Idle around 40 C. I did bench using CPU Z, the one came with MSI driver CD. CPU temp shot up to 63 C, and this is the score I got in that.

*i.imgur.com/NKy8EAt.png

HW info is not reading any temp. Only with MSI supplied utilities I am getting temperature readings. My usual work load, CPU hits around 50 C, memory usage hits around 75%. With bluestack running usage goes about 85%. When running everything at the same time, MS office, browser, blue stack, youtube streaming FHD video, VLC playing 1080p video CPU hits about 60 C and memory usage hits ~97% and BSOD "thread stuck at device driver" :(

Googled. Did what they suggested (update windows, drivers, scan disks), and don't want to stress again to see if I am getting BSOD.

Given the temp I got with simple CPU Z bench, I don't think I should bother about OC (there is a simple option in BIOS, called OC genie which set clock speed @3.75).

For those who are buying this motherboard, update to latest BIOS version. With older BIOS, there is no support for XMP. Of course, you can OC to get it, just that there is no XMP enabled with older BIOS.

quicky008

Technomancer
~18k for CPU+MB+RAM. This is the one I bought B450M Pro VDH
And spent about 3k for case.

Idle around 40 C. I did bench using CPU Z, the one came with MSI driver CD. CPU temp shot up to 63 C, and this is the score I got in that.

*i.imgur.com/NKy8EAt.png

HW info is not reading any temp. Only with MSI supplied utilities I am getting temperature readings. My usual work load, CPU hits around 50 C, memory usage hits around 75%. With bluestack running usage goes about 85%. When running everything at the same time, MS office, browser, blue stack, youtube streaming FHD video, VLC playing 1080p video CPU hits about 60 C and memory usage hits ~97% and BSOD "thread stuck at device driver" :(

Googled. Did what they suggested (update windows, drivers, scan disks), and don't want to stress again to see if I am getting BSOD.

Given the temp I got with simple CPU Z bench, I don't think I should bother about OC (there is a simple option in BIOS, called OC genie which set clock speed @3.75).

For those who are buying this motherboard, update to latest BIOS version. With older BIOS, there is no support for XMP. Of course, you can OC to get it, just that there is no XMP enabled with older BIOS.
Could you please post a screenshot of the temp and voltage readings you got on using hwinfo?

It seems quite odd that hwinfo doesn't show any temperature for your build.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Memory usage is high because out of 4gb ram almost 1gb is getting reserved by integrated gfx of 2200g.Good thing though is that ram prices are starting to come down slowly.Maybe after 3-4 months a 4gb ram will cost ~2k.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Could you please post a screenshot of the temp and voltage readings you got on using hwinfo?
It seems quite odd that hwinfo doesn't show any temperature for your build.
Yeah, me too thought it's weird.
Ok, there were lot of blank rows which I thought that's the end of the info. Seems like I needed to scroll down to see the whole information. Now I have hidden the blank rows and here are the info you asked for.
*i.imgur.com/OKMfy8K.png
Memory usage is high because out of 4gb ram almost 1gb is getting reserved by integrated gfx of 2200g.Good thing though is that ram prices are starting to come down slowly.Maybe after 3-4 months a 4gb ram will cost ~2k.
It seems like by default, 512MB is reserved. Doesn't seem to be using any more than that. May be my usage is not pushing beyond that limit.

I can play 4k video without any stuttering. With Intel 945G and later with GT710, I couldn't play those videos. Now it's running fine. Of course, it's downsampled as I have 1080p monitor.

Again BSOD :mad: There is nothing heavy running this time, just a couple of browser tabs.

Top Bottom