Reading Whatsapp Chats from Google Drive

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Hi,
I want to read Whatsapp chats which are backed up to my Google Drive. I don't have physical access to the phone, all I have is access to the Google Drive account where the backup is stored.
Is it possible?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not possible.Except for media & contacts the actual messages are encrypted & cannot be read without decrypting them.Only way is to have whatsapp reinstall on same number linked to that google account & then use restore backup option.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I tried a thing on youtube where it directed me to install Python, Whatsapp GD extractor , Whatsapp Viewer and run a command from cmd of python but i get this error while executing "python WhatsAppGDExtract.py" file from the whatsapp gd extractor unzipped folder:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "WhatsAppGDExtract.py", line 3, in <module>
from configparser import ConfigParser
ImportError: No module named configparser

Anyone have any idea?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No matter what you do as long as something is encrypted it can't be viewed/extracted in a readable format without decryption & whatsapp decryption key is only available on phone number linked with that whatsapp account.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
No matter what you do as long as something is encrypted it can't be viewed/extracted in a readable format without decryption & whatsapp decryption key is only available on phone number linked with that whatsapp account.

Is there a way to access the file explorer remotely?

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Not possible.Except for media & contacts the actual messages are encrypted & cannot be read without decrypting them.Only way is to have whatsapp reinstall on same number linked to that google account & then use restore backup option.

Can we access the backup file in Google Drive?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Issue is not access to file in google drive but reading that accessed whatsapp file.You need whatsapp to read that file which in turn will require it to be installed on same number mobile from which backup was made & which was linked to that same google account.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Issue is not access to file in google drive but reading that accessed whatsapp file.You need whatsapp to read that file which in turn will require it to be installed on same number mobile from which backup was made & which was linked to that same google account.

I did some research about Whatsapp GD Extractor and read that Whatsapp media files can be downloaded without the key file. For messages, key is required. So I installed Python, WhatsappGDExtractor, Whatsapp Viewer. While running python command in cmd I get error “Error=BadAuthentication” when it tries to retrieve whatsapp media files from Google Drive. I think its the Google’s credentials its referring to. I don’t have 2 factor authentication turned on and I have entered the correct password in Settings.cfg file of whatsappgdextractor.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
What you are asking is not possible until and unless you have some friends in Russia, China or in other developed countries.

Top Bottom