Winamp is coming back

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
According to TechCrunch, Winamp is coming back.

It has been reported that the player will be back in our lives by next year (2019) and will be more than just a player. It is supposed to be users’ one-stop solution for accessing streaming music, saving them locally or on cloud and even listening to podcasts. The player will come as a smartphone app.

Source: Iconic mp3 player Winamp is coming to your smartphones in 2019 - Latest News | Gadgets Now

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
IT'S TIME TO WHIP THE LLAMA'S A$$

XD

About time, its been too long. Development has been stagnant since 5.6.

I have been using Winamp since version 2. Used to gobble up all the skins and plugins from the Digit CDs/DVDs. However, after version 5.5 I moved to foobar.

Perhaps about time Winamp shakes things up once again.

Edit: Looks like version 5.8 will be released first with minor updates. Version 6 will come in 2019.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The player will come as only smartphone app? Well, ok.
In this age, people almost exclusively use streaming music apps like Wynk and Prime Music. But Winamp is welcome indeed.

Though one thing that can redeem winamp is the ability to play streaming music from Youtube playlists. Well I can hope.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The player will come as only smartphone app? Well, ok.
In this age, people almost exclusively use streaming music apps like Wynk and Prime Music. But Winamp is welcome indeed.

Though one thing that can redeem winamp is the ability to play streaming music from Youtube playlists. Well I can hope.
Thats against Youtube TOS if i believe.
But vanced can do it I think

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thats against Youtube TOS if i believe.
But vanced can do it I think
Yes, vanced can do it. I was thinking of trying Vanced. But I thought against doing so. Unless YT makes it official app truly annoying. Which it have started to do with double ads.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
As per the article, I think main thing that Radionomy will promote in Winamp will be Shoutcast (which they also acquired from AOL), ebook services such as Audible, Streaming music and podcasts.

Though I hope all the old plugins get a new lease of life with the new Winamp. I used to love Enhancer, one of the best DSP plugins I've known. Plus, Winamp also used to come with a very robust Visualization plugin called Advanced Visualization Studio that you could use to create your own visualizations. Man those were the days.

Edit: Follow this guy if you want updates: Eddy Richman on Twitter

Hey perhaps they will offer free cloud storage for music. One can hope :p
AOL was planning this feature with Winamp 5.7 beta but it never really materialized.

This is like the third coming back
Yeah, Winamp 3 wasn't very well received and was kinda unpopular. Popularity came back with Winamp 5 and has now waned again. Let's hope Winamp 6 brings back the punch.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
5.8 released - www.winamp.com/

Direct link - *download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client/winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thank goodness the website makes it clear that no Llamas will be abused during the process. I was starting to get worried!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Damn, used to use this theme so much back then. Loved the feature of Winamp telling me how much have I played a track. Also the fade-in transitions to new song. Damn all the nostalgia!

*i.imgur.com/YJhnMlQ.jpg

Did I forget to add visualizations!?!

*i.imgur.com/OCjegQx.png

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That was the Default theme of version 5 until they made Bento the default theme.

You could also make your own visualizations using the AVS plugin which comes bundled by default.

Edit: Try this for some Winamp Classic nostalgia - -=- Winamp Classic Skins -=-

itsmejerry

Right off the assembly line
I am a MXplayer power user; I use it to check for errors in the wav music that I make. I have never used Winamp. I'll have a look!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Full changelog:

Winamp 5.8 Player Full Version Release Notes
* New: Windows Audio (WASAPI) Output plug-in (w.i.p.)
* Improved: Added an option to completely disable Winamp’s video support
* Improved: Added an auto-fullscreen option to video prefs
* Improved: Added /ENUMPLAYLISTS to the command-line support
* Improved: Windows 8.1 and 10 compatibility
* Improved: [in_mod] OpenMPT-based Module Player (replaces old MikMod player)
* Improved: [ml_playlists] Added browse path & edit title functions in Ctrl+E editor
* Improved: [Bento] Updated scrollbars and buttons and other tweaks (thanks Martin)
* Improved: [Bento & Modern skins] Added a Playlist Search feature (thanks Victor)
* Fixed: New URLs not being remembered after using Reset history in Open URL dialog
* Fixed: Various memory leaks
* Fixed: [gen_tray] Not showing correct current icon pack in preferences
* Fixed: [in_avi] Divide-by-zero crash with badly formed files (thanks ITDefensor)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Crashing with some ID3v2 tags
* Fixed: [ml_wire] Slow loading issue
* Fixed: [ssdp] Crash on load if jnetlib was not correctly initialized
* Misc: Minimum required OS is now Win XP sp3 (Windows 7 or higher recommended)
* Misc: More general tweaks, improvements, fixes and optimizations
* Misc: Moved shared DLLs to Winamp\Shared folder
* Removed: All former “Pro” licensed functions (Winamp is now 100% freeware again)
* Removed: gen_jumpex & UnicodeTaskbarFix (making way for native implementations)
* Removed: [in_wm] DRM support
* Replaced: CD playback and ripping now using native Windows API (instead of Sonic)
* Replaced: MP3 Decoder now mpg123 based (instead of Fraunhofer)
* Replaced: AAC Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
* Replaced: H.264 Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
* Replaced: MPEG-4 Pt.2 Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
* Updated: [in_vorbis] libogg 1.3.3 & libvorbis 1.3.6
* Updated: [libFLAC] FLAC 1.3.2
* Updated: [libyajl] libyajl v2.1.0
* Updated: [OpenSSL] OpenSSL v1.0.1i
* Updated: [png] libpng v1.5.24

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am a MXplayer power user; I use it to check for errors in the wav music that I make. I have never used Winamp. I'll have a look!
MXPlayer is an android app. Winamp is a windows application.

Winamp for android is expected to release either this month or the next month.

Top Bottom