Anyone have Sony Xperia XZ1? Need opinion about it.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It is available for about 28 K with bank offer on Flipkart now. I like that it has a dedicated camera shutter button with its half press to focus and full press to click mode. It also seems to have water resistance. It is promised to receive update to Android Pie. It would be a good upgrade from my present Xperia Z3+ which is shutting down whenever I try to record video longer than 1 or 2 minutes and also if I try to watch YouTube on mobile data due to heating issues. Otherwise I am happy with it.

Alternatives are ASUS Zenphone 5Z and OnePlus 6 around 30 K give or take. They have a better processor and higher memory but lack of camera shutter button is disheartening.

If the XZ1 has no major issues I might go with it.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Device has some bugs and the battery is not very good for the price (though Sony's battery management rocks).

Camera output may be distorted by default, you need to enable an option in the camera app to fix this. This also means you will not be able to use 3rd party camera apps if you want to avoid the distortion.

At your price point, I have couple of recommendations: Vivo X21 and Asus Zenfone 5Z. Both of those purchases will be worth your money.

P. S. I have used ZenFone 3/4 and I should say it's probably the most Sony-ish brand for actual experience after Sony itself.

I owned a Z3 Compact & I personally feel shutter button isn't that useful. In low light pressing the shutter button shakes the phone a bit & lack of OIS in Sony phones is a thing. So don't make shutter button a priority.

For 30k, S8 is the best camera, it beats the front & rear cameras of OP6 (tested myself side by side, OP6 has more noise, not much difference in daylight shots though). OP6 does produce better portrait mode pics though. Also, the AMOLED panels are just better than LCD any day, even iPhones switched to AMOLED. S8 was selling for 30k during the last sale.

OP6 is a good phone overall & its UI is similar to Sony's but, it obviously lacks water resistance & brand value (they have a fan following though). Not to forget it is big, in case phone size matters to you. Waiting for OP6T is not a good idea as it lacks headphone jack.

Sony phones were good till Z3 series but after that, the competition was just better & Sony has been trying to catch up ever since.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Thank you all. After considering all options, I ended up buying Xperia XZ1 itself. Having used 2 Xperias (ZR, Z3+) in the past and having extensively used camera shutter button I decided that I cannot miss it. And rest of the things seem alright with this Sony for my use. Another point was water resistance missing in 5Z. The size of the phone was also another reason. This 5.2 inch screen seems to be the biggest I can tolerate.

I have not shifted my SIM to the new phone yet. It needs lot of preparation to ensure that all of my apps move with their settings intact to the new phone.

Top Bottom